Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » White Christmas - is this a "t.v. print"? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: White Christmas - is this a "t.v. print"?
Mathew Molloy
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-26-2005 08:15 PM      Profile for Mathew Molloy   Email Mathew Molloy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're showing a print of White Christmas from Paramount here and it's in great shape - however two things have been bugging me about it. 1) Focus is way too soft and 2) we're having to show this 1.66:1 to avoid cutting off heads/feet and credits. Being a Vistavision film it should be good up to 2:1 correct? So I took a few scans and take a look at this: (sorry for the poor scans.)

Here's a capture from the opening title sequence:
 -

And here's a scan of the frame with a black box as the 1.66 mask and a grey box as the 1.85 mask.
 -

Now here's a dvd capture from the first bit of reel 4:
 -

And here's a scan of that 35mm frame:
 -

Notice in both cases how much is missing from the sides. So is this a t.v. print or did someone not know how to correctly transfer a Vistavision print?

[ 12-26-2005, 09:49 PM: Message edited by: Mathew Molloy ]

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-27-2005 12:25 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Print looks like a "rectified" print for full screen viewing-with the side information being cut off. Then shooting it through a 1.66/1 or 1.85/1 aperture is really destroying the original presentation of "VV".

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2005 02:23 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
to go o.t. a little...

imdb lists this as mono or perspecta, yet your print has a true stereo track.

what's the deal with that?

Mathew Molloy
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2005 02:48 AM      Profile for Mathew Molloy   Email Mathew Molloy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a fairly new print. Reel 1 listed as SR, 2-7 as Dolby. See the comments in Feature Info. & Trailer Attachments.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-27-2005 03:50 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is very definately something screwy with that print!! Its was either printed from the wrong elements or it is very definately a TV print. The contrast looks to be considerably washed out.... another sign of a TV print. VV prints are never full frame like that one is and always have a wide frame line. As for the tracks its definately sva and it might have been generated by decoding the perspecta track and re-recording it to sva. Modern equipment does exist for decoding Perspecta tracks!!

Mark

Fred Georges
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2005 06:44 AM      Profile for Fred Georges   Email Fred Georges   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your a victum of the Roach bucket prints that were struck at the behest of Films inc. when they handled Paramount for Rep bookings. The Music Box theatre in Chicago was the first theatre to run that P.O.S re-print in the Mid eighties & I asked myself the same questions. From info I got from a fellow at films inc our print (& it seems all subsequent prints) were struck from a 1:33 negative that had been prepped for TV years ago. I could barely run it 1:66 without trimming heads & finally gave up and ran it 1:37. Such a shame. It was the first VistaVision release & these crap prints are all thats available in 35mm. [puke]

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 12-27-2005 07:41 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why in hell would Film's Inc want a 1.37 conversion for Rep houses? Unless they had no choice because Paramount only had the TV crap dupe negatives available to strike new prints. Makes no sense at all, and for Paramount to only have these versions available for distribution is a crime (not that this is a particularly favorite film of mine). I guess they think if an image comes on the screen and sound comes out of the speakers, that's good enuf. Ah yes, I forget, digital should fix all of this.

As for the sound....this is a real mystery because if this is merely a Perspecta sound conversion to Dolby, and since Perspecta sound is simply a mono track that was panned left and right via Perspecta trigger tones, then there shouldn't be the kind of variation between the two waveforms as we see there is in the scan. Making either of the two channels louder than the other, then you only get that track with more modulation, but the waveform will stay identical. Out of phase stuff that they want to come out of the surrounds would look identical, just offset slightly. In the scan, the waveform of the two channels look quite different which points to some remixing in of sound effects or other elements that were not in the original mix. Who knows what these people do when then decide they can make some extra cash on a classic. Seems they can't just let the movie stand on it's own merits, they don't seem to get it that the reason a classic is a classic, is because it's great just the way it was made and doesn't need to be messed around with.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-27-2005 08:01 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank,

Perspecta could do more than just pan it's single channel.... the control tones could also be phase modulated during encoding creating a pseido stereo effect that was quite impressive. White Christmas was done this way. I've seen - heard reel-1 in true Perspecta decoded through an original tube unit that was restored by an engineer at Tektronix. The opening VV logo score in Perspecta was incredible!

There is/was a card available from Great Britian that would plug in place of the cat 150 in Dolby processirs that could decode Perspecta tones properly.... Last I heard it was about $600.00 U.S.

Mark

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 12-27-2005 09:23 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Perspecta could do more than just pan it's single channel.... the control tones could also be phase modulated during encoding creating a pseido stereo effect that was quite impressive. White Christmas was done this way. I've seen - heard reel-1 in true Perspecta decoded through an original tube unit that was restored by an engineer at Tektronix. The opening VV logo score in Perspecta was incredible!
Something like fifteen years ago I heard that there was a t least one print in circulation in this country, which still had the perspecta track on it. I don't know if thisis still the case, and, of course, at that time just about nowhere would have had working equipment to decode it. I've never heard 'White Christmas' in perspecta; I'd like to, but I've never heard of it being played that way in recent times. I have heard 'forbidden Planet' on an original Fairchild Integrator at the loew's Jersey in 2002, and the first few minutes of it, before I had to leave to catch my train to London at Bradford in 2004. This was with one of the modern cards in a CP-200. I've also heard various cartoons and a couple of clips, from what I'm not sure, through one of the cards, and a few other shorts and clips through the original Integrator at the Loew's. Many years ago I heard a few minutes of something, I can't remember what it was through an original Integrator in London, howevr, that unit was in poor condition, with lots of hum, and I think the filters may have been off, as well.

From the limited amount of material which I've been able to hear, my impression is that, at it's best, Perspecta could sound quite good, better than I expected, but not as good as a true 4-channel magnetic stereo system. One problem seems to be that a lot of what was produced was badly done, sounds like it was done cheaply and quickly, and it was also used on films for which it was not suitable; particularly cartoons with music.

When Perspecta died out it wasn't because it was replaced by something better; most films, in most cinemas were in simple Academy mono optical for another twenty years. Perspecta wasn't cheap to install, I seem to remember a price of something like $1000 for the Integrator and it's power supply, then there was the cost of the extra amplifiers, speakers, cabling etc. Of course, the prints wre much cheaper than 4-track mag ones.

quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
There is/was a card available from Great Britian that would plug in place of the cat 150 in Dolby processirs that could decode Perspecta tones properly.... Last I heard it was about $600.00 U.S.
I believe there were two cards available; one I know nothing about, other than it could be used in a Dolby processor, with an adapter. I have one of the other cards; it was produced by Dion Hanson, previously with Dolby, now as far as I know on his own, and trading as 'Cineman'.

My main reason for buying this card was to listen to various samples of Perspecta film that I managed to borrow from various places. It has also been used once, with an actual audience, for a short demonstration. I wanted to use it another time, about two years ago, at an event at a London cinema, but was unable to do so, do to availablity of a print, but complications with rights, whith could not be sorted out in time.

The card replaces the Dolby Cat. 150 decoder, and can be used in any processor which takes that card; I've used it in a CP-65 and a CP-200.

Last year I lent the card to Peter Apruzzese, Director of Film Programming at the Layfatte Theatre in Suffern, NY. Peter wanted to use the card in a CP-50, with 'Forbidden Planet', but was not able to do so due to a technical problem which could not be resolved in time; I can't remember the details now, but it was very odd. Whether the card has developed a fault since I last used it, when it was fine (pun not intended), or whether it was due to an incompatibility with his CP-50, which he said had been heavily modified, I don't know.

I do not intend to use this card again in the foreseeable future; if anybody has access to any Perspecta film, and would like to try it, I could ask Peter to send it to them. Mark, when I bought the card the price was 300 pounds, so your figure of $600 isn't far out. It's a very well made card, and considering the very small quantity which must have been produced, I think that's very reasonable. Dion uses one of these cards himself at his 'Fantastic Formats' lecture, which he has given at various venues. I understand that one was also bought by somebody who was producing a DVD of a Japanese film which had a Perspecta track.

I don't know if this card is still avable. There have been suggestions of doing this by custom programming of the CP-650, but I haven't heard of anybody actually doing it.

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2005 01:27 PM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If that track was from the '80's TV/FI reprinting it's hard to explain the stereo track, but the new DVD releases of WC do have a true stereo track, at least for the musical numbers where they went back to the multi-track masters. I assume the dialog is still mono--at least it sounds that way. One thing that's always interested me is that even on the 16mm TV prints (obviously 1:33) of WC, the sound changed dramatically during the musical numbers, becoming considerably richer and then reverting back for the dialog sections. I'm not used to that kind of mix even on comparable early mag-period musicals of the period

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2005 01:42 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Original White Christmas prints were intended to be projected 1.66, as were most VistaVision Titles.

Original VistaVision prints has a symbol at the start of each reel in the upper right corner, a cross between an "F" and a "t", which indicated were to frame the top of the picture depending upon whether you were projecting it 2:1, 1.85, or 1.66. While most VV title can be framed 1.85, it is a usually a little tight.

Bill Carter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2005 03:07 PM      Profile for Bill Carter   Email Bill Carter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That print was just here at the Heights Theater in Minneapolis. Direct comparison with some clips from an original Technicolor VV print prove that it is (rather severely) cropped, apparently from a TV element created on CRI stock. The print is grainy, with somewhat muted color. Not at all what you would expect from a Vista Vision neg.

It does carry a modern stereo track, which doesn't sound like a Perspecta conversion. It sounds like they merely "expanded" the mono sound by adding some muddy reverb/delay. Either that, or they re-recorded it in the bathroom. Same difference.

It appears to be true that this is the only print in "official" circulation (there may or may not be more than one, but they are all from this same printing), though Tech prints (with Perspecta) do survive in private hands.

It ran at The Heights in 1.66, though even that is a little too tight at times.

And, by the way, it was a 410-seat sellout, with people turned away.

Mathew Molloy
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2005 03:37 PM      Profile for Mathew Molloy   Email Mathew Molloy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've received a reply from Paramount that this new print has played six theatres and nobody's complained but they're looking inot it. Bill, could you let Paramount (or the folks at your theatre who deal with Paramount) know that you noticed these problems as well? Amy probably thinks I'm crazy. Well, she might be right but that's beside the point. We've had complaints and walk-outs due to the soft focus on this print.

Dick Prather
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2005 04:44 PM      Profile for Dick Prather   Email Dick Prather   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is a real shame your print is that way. I have seen the original IB print and listened to the Perspecta tracks. The focus was extremly sharp as most VV prints were and the Perspecta track was superb.

The little marks at the start of each reel were for framing at which ever aspect ratio you were using as several ratios could be used.

I have a Fairchild tube Perspecta unit and the card type for Dolby processors from Dion Hanson. Both work great.
Dick

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2005 01:27 PM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bill Carter
And, by the way, it was a 410-seat sellout, with people turned away.
It's great to hear that a 51-year-old movie was able to draw that kind of crowd! That movie has been available on DVD for years, and gets lots of play on TV, so it would seem to refute the notion that it's impossible to get people to go to the theater once a movie is available for home viewing.

With some of the holiday-themed stinkers that have been released in the past couple of years, I wonder if it wouldn't be a good idea for theaters to run prints of old holiday movies.

I would much rather see a (well-done) showing of "White Christmas" than so many of the supposed holiday films that have been released. Besides, right now, there are no movies playing that could be considered in the same ballpark as "White Christmas" or the other holiday classics. The Times Cinema here in Milwaukee was playing "It's a Wonderful Life" but that run ended on Monday, and I wasn't able to organize a family outing before then.

Sure, something like "White Christmas" probably wouldn't be able to maintain high attendance, but I can't imagine that a series of the holiday classics would do any worse than "The Ringer" or other garbage that gets pushed onto celluloid once in a while.

Is there an online source of which movies are available for theatrical showings? I'd be curious to see which are available and how much it would cost to run them.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: