Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Film Guard lubricates more than just film (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Film Guard lubricates more than just film
Steven J Hart
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2005 09:19 AM      Profile for Steven J Hart   Author's Homepage   Email Steven J Hart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Christmas day I started my first show and found that the bottom film guide roller (Kelmar) beneath the projecter had seized up. I didn't have an appropriate lubricant available so I sprayed a bit of Film Guard on the bearing area. Sure enough, after working the roller forward and back a couple times it came free and ran happily.

BTW: what is the best lubricant for this type of bearing?

Steve

|  IP: Logged

Cory Isemann
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2005 09:28 AM      Profile for Cory Isemann   Author's Homepage   Email Cory Isemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it's not a sealed bearing, I usually hit it with a little WD-40, making sure to wipe off excess.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-28-2005 09:52 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Really... just replace the dang roller. Its a 20 buck item. Far less than the cost of a damaged print [Eek!] . If you are going to re-use the old roller carefully inspect it for damage since it had film dragging across it.

WD-40 is a big no-no in the booth, sometimes causing more harm that one realizes. I always confiscate bottles of WD when I find them. Ball bearings should be lightly lubricated with the proper grease for the longest service life. Projector oil in the bearing would be better than WD for a temporary fix. BTW: The bearing in that roller is a $4.00 item from any bearing distributer!!

For plastic rollers that turn on a steel shaft like the SPECO guidance rollers a tiny bit of synthetic oil works well. LaVezzi has handy 4 ounce bottles for those sort of jobs. Synthetics won't attack the plastic and they don't evaporate.

At any rate but I do commend you on getting it turning again... thats far better than it not turning but a correct fix is in order there.

Mark

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2005 12:52 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've used FG on squeaky rollers, too. As long as they're kept clean, its a useful application.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2005 02:33 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've used FilmGuard on EVERYTHING.

FilmGuard is THE WD40 of the film world!
Squeeky platter roller? FilmGuard it!
Latteral guide rollers stiff? FilmGuard it!
Can't get that preassure strap clean? FilmGuard it!

Yes folks, FilmGuard fixes everything!

You can also use it around the theater for other things to...

That damn theater door won't stop squeeking? FilmGuard it!
Chicken little window cling left behind twin trails of sticky crap nothing under your counter will get off? FilmGuard it!
Lock cylinder froze up? FilmGuard it!

Yes that's right. I said FilmGuard it!

By the way, we've actually used it for all these purposes at one point or another. Don't question my authority!

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2005 02:58 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I keep a bottle on my nightstand. Never know when it's a "chilly"night and you need some lube!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-28-2005 04:29 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
No joke here, I actually spray my trash bags with a squirt of FG when putting them out at the street for pickup the next morning. It has completely stopped the neighborhood dogs from tearing into them and spreading the garbage all over the yard.

(Honestly though I think you could use damn near any chemical for this purpose.)

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2005 05:01 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What else can you use Film-Guard on? See the picture on the left. Makes your ski just slip right through the water. OK, yes, it was done as a joke, but hay, it could work.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-28-2005 05:38 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll bet spraying it on one of them slip'n'slide snow disks (like in Christmas Vacation) you'd really fly! Or even on sled runners maybe.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-28-2005 05:50 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..it's also good for shooting at spiders (especially black widows) that love to wander around in the booth. (LOL)

..squeaky platter rollers loves this stuff.

stuff's good for sliding door tracks.

-Monte

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2005 06:01 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Waiting for Phil Hill to post some uses for F.G! [Big Grin]

Andy Muirhead
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2005 06:15 PM      Profile for Andy Muirhead   Email Andy Muirhead   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
WD-40 is a big no-no in the booth, sometimes causing more harm that one realizes.
Could anyone elaborate on this? I've been having suspicions for some time and have stopped using it. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I think it may get into places it has no right to be and causing problems. I'm talking mainly the projector head here, op side.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 12-28-2005 06:39 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There have been several discussions about appropriate uses of WD-40 in the past:

WD-40 and optical sound

WD-40

WD-40 on bearings??????

Andy Muirhead
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2005 06:43 PM      Profile for Andy Muirhead   Email Andy Muirhead   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Paul, will check those out.

(Edit)... Which I did, and a quick refresher course later remembered why I never used the stuff in the first place!

Back to the original topic, I used to find FG fantastic for cleaning, well anything!

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-28-2005 07:32 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I used to find FG fantastic for cleaning, well anything!

..and gets the tar off of the side of cars when going through resurfacing zones.

The big caution with FG is that if any spray gets on tile or linoleum, get it up with window cleaner, otherwise, you've got yourself a massive slick spot that is quite dangerous when stepped into.

-Monte

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: