Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Monster Cue Tape

Author Topic: Monster Cue Tape
Steven J Hart
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2005 05:01 PM      Profile for Steven J Hart   Author's Homepage   Email Steven J Hart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I made up a used print of Narnia today and saw something I've never seen in the eight years I've been in the business. The previous theater had place about eight inches of 1/2 inch wide foil tape at each of the three cue locations! What cue reader could possible need that much tape to set off the cues. The stuff covered about half the picture area for about eight inches and it covered the soundtrack for two of the cues! That must be a great example of "Film Done Wrong"

I didn't put this in the "You Suck" Thread 'cause I thought there might be some technical reason for doing this, and the print was otherwise in VERY good condition.
Steve

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-30-2005 05:10 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen that wide tape before but never to that excess.

I haven't put tape on 3 spots in a print for years. My first cue is at the very end of the DTS tag; my last cue is at the head of a 20' piece of junk film that's attached to the end of all prints. So it's only really necessary to cue the "lights up to half" at the start of the credits.

Steven J Hart
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2005 05:43 PM      Profile for Steven J Hart   Author's Homepage   Email Steven J Hart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, thats almost exactly what I do. What a sticky mess it was to get that foil tape adhesive residue off the print.

Steve

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-30-2005 06:06 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
many of the older proximity detectors required a long wide piece of tape to read reliably

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-30-2005 10:14 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Instead of that much tape they should have had a person on standby next to the cue sensor equipped with a 5 pound sledge hammer to just go ahead and wack the cue rollers at the correct moment...... their obviously malfunctioning cue detector would have probably read that one ok.... A good booth tool there are many other uses for too.....

Mark

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-31-2005 02:12 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..or, ill trained "booth clowns.."

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-31-2005 10:57 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not to mention how extra wasteful the situation becomes when the foil rubs off the worthless cue detector & will no longer read. I've seen plenty of QC prints come with these long cues. It also can be attributed to slow automation systems. I've seen Xetron/Maxi "opticues" placed at 4-frame intervals over the span of five or six cues. Yuck! [Eek!]

Wolff King Morrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-01-2006 02:34 AM      Profile for Wolff King Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Wolff King Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the worst is getting a used print that had a barcode sticker set of cues, or the foil disc version too. If you're going to plant cues on the center of the frame, please put some clear tape under it first.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 01-05-2006 06:29 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't Kodak or was it Dolby introduce a system quite a number of years ago whereby a coating was applied to the print and it had magnetic propertied so that cues could be magnetically recorded and read. Obviously the stuff had to be transparant but it did retain enough flux so that it could replace cue foil. I wonder why it never became mainstream.....cost? unreliable?

Joel N. Weber II
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2006 08:40 AM      Profile for Joel N. Weber II   Email Joel N. Weber II   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think if the labs were going to do an extra step to facilitate theaters dealing with cues, a better approach might be to use an extra data channel in the digital soundtrack to record where the start of the credits is, etc. The same technology DTS used to trigger strobe lights ought to be usable for a house lights half up cue at the start of the credits, etc.

Though the other interesting question is whether foil cues are more reliable than digital soundtrack reading. (Although with the digital soundtrack approach, it would probably be easy to encode things in such a way that the cue is printed over 10 seconds or more of film, so that if the digital reader drops out for a second or two, the cue can still be processed, albeit a bit late.)

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 01-05-2006 12:20 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Frank Angel
Didn't Kodak or was it Dolby introduce a system quite a number of years ago whereby a coating was applied to the print and it had magnetic propertied so that cues could be magnetically recorded and read. Obviously the stuff had to be transparant but it did retain enough flux so that it could replace cue foil. I wonder why it never became mainstream.....cost? unreliable?

Yes, Kodak introduced DATACODE Magnetic Control Surface in 1982. It was intended to record time code on camera films, and could have been used for cues on print film. The slightly added cost would be an issue for prints. The technology is still used to record data on Kodak Advantix films for consumer cameras.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: