Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » KING KONG credits cut off at mid point (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: KING KONG credits cut off at mid point
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 01-01-2006 05:54 AM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I finally had the opportunity to see Peter Jackson's KING KONG on New Years Eve at Pacific's Kapolei #5 and enjoyed the film very much. On a scale of 1 to 5, I would give the film a 4. I am sure many of you are thinking this should be on the review page but something happened last night during the presentation that had upset me very much and I feel this topic belongs here. Everything was fine during the feature presentation with excellent projection and awesome sound but all of that was ruined when the projectionist made the screen go dark during mid way through the credits but allowed the soundtrack to continue to play. Because it was New Years Eve, the film played to almost an empty house and I was the only person who did not leave when the credits started to roll because I wanted to read it and enjoy the end title music. As soon as the credits was on, people who were coming for the last show at 10:30 were seating themselves and this is something I have never seen at any of Pacific's theatres including the Kapolei. The theatre Staff usually clean the auditorium before anyone is seated but last night was different. I was very upset at what had happened, I immediately went to the manager and was told that I was welcome to sit through 45 minutes of the conclusion of the film in another auditorium if I wanted to read the credits. I told her I did not have the time to do that and all she could say was "I am sorry about that and proceeded to walk away. I called her back and told her I paid to see the entire film and expect more than a "I am sorry about that" answer. She asked me what I wanted and I told her a Pass to see another movie would be nice because I was always given one in the past when there was a problem. Although I walked out of the theatre with a pass to see another movie, I was bothered by the manager's indifferent and couldn't care less attitude. For those of you who manage a theatre, how would you have handled this matter?

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-01-2006 09:31 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claude,

I still haven't made it past reel two! But what did matter here was the managers ignorant indifference. You definately did the right thing by not letting her just walk away from the situation.... But just use that pass to see some better film [Wink] .

Mark

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-01-2006 10:10 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The turnaround may have been tight so the projectionist was told to cut the bulb so they could start seating for the next show. You didn't mention how much intermission time there was.

It could've also been a simple goof, where the projectionist (or someone in the booth) bumped up against a switch by accident and since the "movie" part of the show was over they figured it wasn't worth striking the bulb again.

Neither are acceptable, but there are a couple of reasons for you as to why that may have happened.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-01-2006 07:48 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or an inept ticket-taker...

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 01-01-2006 11:00 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,

Pacific has scheduled two evening showings of Peter Jackson's KING KONG in auditorium #5 at the Kapolei 16. One is at 7:00 and is the one I caught last night and the last one is at 10:30. I was in my seat by 6:45 and five minutes of commercials flashed on the screen at five minutes to the hour and a policy trailer followed by about 5 or 6 regular trailers went on at 7:00. The main feature started at 7:10 and I estimated the total running time of the entire show should end about 10:18. This would indicate that only nine minutes of intermission time was provided between these two shows. Regardless of how short the intermission, time was, we all know the film must completely go through the projector from the platter before it can be threaded again in the machine for the next show and I cannot see what the advantage was to let the screen go dark. The manager did call upstairs after I had complained to find out why the projectionist did what he did and his reply was " I thought everyone from the 7:00 show had left".

-Claude

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-01-2006 11:23 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
The turnaround may have been tight so the projectionist was told to cut the bulb so they could start seating for the next show. You didn't mention how much intermission time there was.

If the turnaround is that tight, would you kill the lamp and re-strike 10 minutes later? Seating for the next show?? This is King Kong, was there really a next show?

quote: Brad Miller
It could've also been a simple goof, where the projectionist (or someone in the booth) bumped up against a switch by accident and since the "movie" part of the show was over they figured it wasn't worth striking the bulb again.

Sorry Brad, gotta laugh at this one. there are too many scenarios I can make up!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-02-2006 12:54 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Richard Hamilton
If the turnaround is that tight, would you kill the lamp and re-strike 10 minutes later?
Many theaters have a policy to always run on automation and not to override it. In this example, let's say a well-intentioned projectionist was trying to not strike the bulb again, so he flips the manual switch on and closes the lamphouse douser. Then he rethreads and starts the next show...but forgets to turn that manual switch off. Ooops, projector and lens damage! In a multiplex situation, I tend to agree with that argument. Better to strike the bulb a few extra times that could've been prevented than to risk something like that happening, because in a multiplex booth the movie could end and the projectionist be on the other end of the building.

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2006 01:06 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,
Point taken, and understood.

Rick

John Koutsoumis
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2006 05:47 AM      Profile for John Koutsoumis   Email John Koutsoumis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've also experienced patrons let in for the next show while the credits are still going, it's damn annoying particularly when they start talking loudly. My biggest gripe though is the staff that come in to clean and make all this noise and give you a nasty or weird look for staying for the credits.

At one show I walked into the auditorium to find the curtain open, and nice lots of white on the screen. Obviously the dowser was open and the projector running with no film threaded. This went on for a few minutes.
It was then shut, curtains were closed (at which point others in audience clapped and cheered) and then the film was threaded and we were underway. Funny enough I learnt from one projectionist at this location that a number of lenses were damaged due to the automation starting the projector before the running late projectionist threaded up the show. And mind you this is only a 4 screen complex.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 01-02-2006 01:42 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Claude is more upset by the manager's attitude than the actual mishap, although neither should have happened. And yah, it was done on purpose to get that last show in as fast as possible.

But Claude, we are running up hill when it comes to getting that attitude of "what's the big deal, it's only credits" changed in the multiplex environment. If the management has that attitude, which obviously this manager has, then it goes without saying that everyone on down the line will have it as well. That's why when those pimply cleaner/usher/tickettaker/concessioneer/projection "attendant" drones come in sweeping dirt on your feet and giving you nasty looks, it's no surprise. There is poor showmanship which we are all used to, to the point where we expect it (hence the familiar "I'll wait to see it on DVD in my home theatre") and then there is this actual shutting off the lamp during the credits, or ANTI-showmanship. And then exhibtion moans and groans like 10 year olds about attendance being down. They get what they deserve.

But then again, not to aim critisism solely at the mulitplex, assembly-line cinemas, this kind of lousy attitude is pervasive in plenty of other "service industries." And given that our economy has moved from a producing economy to a service economy, you would think a higher level of customer care would be our calling card. But it's not; we still act like being mediocre is acceptable. So not only don't we no longer make stuff, be we are nasty when we "serve" stuff that others make! Wait till the Sleeping Giant -- China -- wakes up. They MAKE stuff....LOTS of stuff, but they are respectful and courtious as well. We better start learning how to do that bowing thing, and fast.

How would I have handled that kind of thing in my theatre? I would have assured you that this was not our policy and that I would look into it immediately. I would also have assured you that I will make it my personal business to find out what happened and why and that I will make sure it would not happen again. You would have been given two passes and coupons for free large popcorns and sodas. In my tone and attitude, you would have know that I was doing that respectful bowing thing. In other words, your ass would have been royally kissed so that I wouldn't loose you as a customer or worse yet, have you leave my theatre with an A-Frame around your neck proclaming to everyone that they shouldn't see films in my theatre.

Customer service is simple courtesy, not brain surgery; why so many managers seem to have been lobotomized is beyond me.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 01-02-2006 02:05 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Had that happen to me at the end of Narnia at the Century Santa Fe 16 on New Year's Eve. There were three or four of us credit watchers left as the house crew came in to clean up for the next show. Said crew was loudly kicking and throwing the plastic child booster seats ahead of themselves as they worked along each row. Very loud, very rude, very annoying. At least they didn't give us the glaring eyes bit.

Had that happen to me at an anime film festival screening at the Long Beach Carpenter PAC. One of the ushers got in my face about staying to watch the credits of Barefoot Gen (Hadashi no Gen). He stood between me and the screen saying there's nothing left to see. Guess he wanted me out of there since everyone else was leaving.

Cutting credits off seems to be quite a common practice. It does get people to leave sooner. I suppose if you do that enough times in a day you might squeeze in another show. [Roll Eyes] On shows like Narnia it does lose a little scene inserted after the cast credits, but it's only a little teaser. Quite unimportant. If it was me cueing the print I wouldn't put the "house to half" cue on until after that scene. But that's just me.

Jarryd Beard
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2006 04:49 PM      Profile for Jarryd Beard   Email Jarryd Beard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I strongly disagree with what happened as well. It is wrong to let patrons in during end credits, even if the theatre is empty. Perhaps the projectionists didn't see anyone in the theatre.

However, does anyone else feel that credits are getting out of control anymore? I think a lot of these problems would be solved if credits were displayed at the beginning of shows again. Of course, Hollywood needs to stop naming everyone and their brother in the credits. I believe it was The Exorcism of Emily Rose that went so far as to thank the Honeywagon Driver! [bs] Come on now!

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2006 07:05 PM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I allways schedule tight, so that the credits are used for cleaning.
IF THERE IS NO-ONE WATCHING!
No-one watches the credits, to the point that my house half cue for Narnia is after the Aslan roar, but only 5% of people even see it.
Guys trust me, I've seen this movie, trust me about when to leave.

Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2006 08:38 PM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, come on. Let the Honeywagon Driver have his credit! This guy has to be the first to arrive at a location and the last to leave. Plus, he literally has to clean up the crap that the rest of the crew leaves in his rig.

I once heard a movie critic complaining about a credit for a "Second Second Assistant Director" or an "Additional Second Second Assistant Director" or something like that. The critic seemed to think someone was just making up jobs to list in the credits... like just giving credits to their friends or something like that. But anyone who's spent any real time on a movie set knows how hard the Second Second A.D. works and how much they completely deserve credit, even when the shoot is so big that they need "additional" help.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 01-02-2006 09:22 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I work for a videogame developer. As in movies, getting a credit in a game is considered a big deal.

The final credit roll after the movie should be considered sacred, whether it's 2 minutes or 10 minutes. There should be a hard-and-fast rule that you NEVER start cleaning the auditorium if customers are still watching the credits, not even if it's just one customer. [Mad] And cutting the credits off in the middle is completely inexcusable.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: