Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » AW3 Washer Around Axle On Platter? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: AW3 Washer Around Axle On Platter?
Cody Martin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-01-2006 10:53 PM      Profile for Cody Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Cody Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello guys,

New problem. Have gotten my AW3 Platter set up and noticed one thing--a wobbly deck(bottom). I switched motors (still did it). I also checked the deck and it isn't warped at all. I went as far as switching arms and it still did it. The axle is also fine and so are the washers that are on the axle. I was wondering if there are washers that are on the inside of the AW3 decks around the axle hole(sorry for lack of technically term). To me it seems like the deck is too loose around the axle. So, are there washers, and are they replacable?

Thanks,
Cody

|  IP: Logged

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-01-2006 11:28 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure the part number is in the manual.
Yes, there are 2 washers and a roller bearing sandwiched between them under that deck.
Pull the deck off, clean the whole thing hub, shaft, bearings, everything.
Degrease it completely, check the hub of the deck as well as the bearings and washers for flat spots and replace as necessary.
Remember to grease it up with some heavy grease.

Cody Martin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-01-2006 11:34 PM      Profile for Cody Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Cody Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dominic,

Thank you for your reply. I have checked the washer and roller bearings under the deck, what I am referring to would be inside of the deck hub. This is where it seems like the play is at. After degreasing and regreasing the up-down deck motion decreased a little, but still not enough to evenly wind film.

Any ideas,
Cody

Stan Gunn
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2006 12:45 AM      Profile for Stan Gunn   Author's Homepage   Email Stan Gunn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Cody

it seems to me that a bush that is on the inside of the hub is worn or missing, I think there may be 2 bushs with a space between them.

Its been a long time since i have had one apart.

Stan

Thomas Dieter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2006 01:03 AM      Profile for Thomas Dieter   Email Thomas Dieter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stan-- You're Right. There are two bushes on the inside of the hub with a space between them. I just recently took the decks off of one of our systems and thuroughly cleaned everything. After that, I properly re-greased the shaft, the washers, and the bearing washer. In doing this, I found our problem, as the Bearing washer wasn't sandwiched between the two washers, which was causing our deck to spin incorrectly, and drop the show during the first 5 mins of the movie.

Cody-- What you might want to do is checked the two Bushes that are in the hub, and make sure that they aren't damaged. If they were damaged when the deck was put on last, this might be causing your problem.

Good Luck!

Cody Martin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2006 09:24 AM      Profile for Cody Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Cody Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all of your guys help. I have checked the bushings and one of them is cracked. Does anyone know where I can find these parts, and about how much they will cost?

Thanks,
cody

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-02-2006 09:36 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't believe the bushings are available separately so the entire deck will most likely have top be replaced.... cost is around 700.00 I believe. This is one of the consequences of moving entire decks to move a print around.... stupid stupid stupid (not blaming you though Cody)!

P.S. Only use a synthetic wheel bearing grease on the axel and bearings! Using anything else usually results in a big mess to clean up.

Mark

Cody Martin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2006 10:48 AM      Profile for Cody Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Cody Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,

Thanks for your reply. I'm sad that the bushing can be purchased separately. The cost for an entire deck is more than i payed for the system. Right now what the platter does is when the film is being wound it has enough of a tilt so that the film has an up down pattern while winding. The film is also very spongy. For now, I will use the other two decks, either until I can find a solution, or replace the deck.

On another note, I cannot imagine people moving the entire deck, that is crazy.

Thanks again Mark,
Cody

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-02-2006 10:52 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
replace the deck if it was a strong platter all that would be replaced is the bearings
you probably could get a shop to make a replacement bushing for it for less than the cost of the deck

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-02-2006 01:31 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Cody Martin
On another note, I cannot imagine people moving the entire deck, that is crazy.
Sorry, but I will move an entire deck if that print is large and heavy, won't fit on a "pizzaboard", you have extra hands helping you and you learn to be careful with the move.

(like try moving "LOTR's", or "God's and Generals" by yourself)

Yet, it's rare that I will move a print like this.

-Monte

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-02-2006 03:59 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monte,

Like I said... moving decks is stipud stupid stupid! If you don't have large enough clamps then back off enough on to a 6000 foot reel or two until you do. There is absolutely NO excuse for moving an entire deck... except for laziness. With the proper film mover you can easily move an 8 reel print by yourself in less than a minuite.

Mark

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-02-2006 04:11 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
True, I do have a big board that can move 9 reel prints around with some ease (but not too fun though..but how many 9 plus reel prints do I handle per year...), but you should know me that I'm pretty careful with this equipment that I have and that you know what I have. -Monte

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2006 07:09 PM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just finished moving King Kong.
Big pizza board, down staris, out the door and 30 meters to the building next door.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2006 07:17 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have AW3's not AW3R's so that keeps me motivated enough to just carry the prints [Wink]
All the more reason to make sure your platters are taking up nice and tight.
It took 3 of us, but we carried Gods & Generals down the booth, around the corner, down the stairs, and over without clamps.

What is a projectionist who doesn't live a little dangeriously every now and then, eh?

Patrick Dunn
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2006 07:29 PM      Profile for Patrick Dunn   Author's Homepage   Email Patrick Dunn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually I've used this technique, clamping long prints , that I learned in the tips section to clamp King Kong from one booth to another and it worked without a problem

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: