Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Media Cleaner Rewind.

Author Topic: Media Cleaner Rewind.
Thomas Dieter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2006 12:02 AM      Profile for Thomas Dieter   Email Thomas Dieter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wanted to know if anyone here has come up with the same idea as one of my fellow employees. He has taken a cordless power drill, a drill bit adaptor, and a rewind key and put them all together. Effectively allowing him to rewind the media pads in about 20 seconds or less. Is there a problem with this, or was this a good idea?

|  IP: Logged

Donny Miner
Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2006 12:20 AM      Profile for Donny Miner   Author's Homepage   Email Donny Miner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a good idea... But it might be too xtreme for such a purpose. It should only take a few seconds by hand anyways. Are you splitting the pads in half before loading? We only use the full pads to clean long prints like King Kong and such.

-DoNnY

Thomas Dieter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2006 12:51 AM      Profile for Thomas Dieter   Email Thomas Dieter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having not been in the booth for almost a month now, I haven't cut them. Only time I've been in it is when I walked in there and thread the movie before the projectionist does. I just got back from Marietta, GA earlier last week.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 01-30-2006 12:57 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Works for me.
I've been rewinding them like that for a couple of years. Sure saves my fingers.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-30-2006 02:44 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to put the 1/2" spindle on the Kelmar bench, but a bit of masking tape around the spindle to help cinch up the plastic sleeves and goto town rewinding the media.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2006 12:12 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only problem I see is if the media isn't loaded perfectly straight to begin with it'll rewind crooked.
Winding it straight then would be more difficult with a drill.

Depending on your film cleaner you can cut your pads to be the most efficient. With ours we can cut them into thirds for any movie up to about 8 reels.
After that it's halves. Unfortunately I'm the only one that does that though so lately we've been just using the big ones and rewinding every 3-4 shows.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-30-2006 12:53 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dominic Espinosa
lately we've been just using the big ones and rewinding every 3-4 shows.
FYI this practice DOES waste media and FilmGuard, ya know.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-31-2006 01:04 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
FYI this practice DOES waste media and FilmGuard, ya know
I am aware. I cringe every time I load those full rolls.
Unfortunately I just don't have the time to cut them myself and it's easier to leave it undone than to hear my assitants cry about having to do such a boring task.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-31-2006 02:50 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh WAH! What a horrible task. [Wink]

You know we used to sell the rolls in a "one pass" length, but everyone whined about that too, so now we pack more onto the cores than any other media manufacturer. It's great if you do indeed cut them in half (or thirds, or fourths). Don't forget to save those cores and recycle them for more.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2006 03:10 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, you have no idea.
Whaa I have to clean projectors! Whaa I have to mop the floor! Whaa I have to clean the screens!

At any rate a few boxes of cores should be coming your way soon, Brad.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 02-01-2006 05:49 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They, or their boss, should be saying, "Whaa I have to find a new job!"

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-02-2006 12:27 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Daryl, you are right however I'm sure I don't have to explain how awful theater politics can be.
Taking the problem child down can result in a backlash in management that could very well come back to bite you in the butt.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: