Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Universal and cyan

Author Topic: Universal and cyan
Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 03-02-2006 09:43 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know if Universal has gone fully to cyan tracks by now? We are playing AMERICAN DREAMZ next week in our rep house and if this is going to be cyan, it means I will have to install the reverse scan readers which have been waiting on the shelf as long as possible. Given that we run mostly older titles with tracks optimized for white light, I have been very reluctant to switch-over. I mean, I knew this day would come, but I was holding off until absolutely necessary. Then again, two weeks later we will run a print struck in the 80s. It will be interesting to see if the sibilance/xmodulation distortion the red reader may add is going to necessitate switching back to white exciters. If so, then a CURSE on both their houses -- the SMPTE and the studios. [fu]

Did we ever come to any conclusion in those threads about cyan and homebrew red LEDs whether or not one could replace the red light source (exciter) in a reverse scan system with a white or IR superbright LED light source to avoid the distortion problem that red light causes on older tracks? If it's only the light source that negatively affects the distortion level, and one could find a way to easily swapped out between red and white LED arrays, that would be a saving grace for those of us who have to run a mix of older and newer prints. (I am assuming using a white light exciter instead of red in a reverse scan system would solve the distortion problem caused by the two differently optimumized types of soundtracks).

Since the slit is a function of the cell assembly, then they only thing the light source needs to do, no matter what it is, would be to illuminate the track evenly and with adaquate brightness, no? Seems that could be quite easily done....a lot easier than having to change entire optic assemblies of the two different systems.

I am also running GOOD NIGHT AND GOOD LUCK in the same house right after AMERICAN DREAMZ, and even though that is not a cyan track (B&W), I am correct in assuming that it will be optimumized for red light excitation, right?

|  IP: Logged

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2006 09:56 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you were running primarily new features, I would not recommend this, but why don't you just pop in a JAX light, and add a switch to bypass the JAX light's pre-preamp when you run with a white exciter. Then it is just a matter of popping the bulb or the JAX light in or out.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 03-02-2006 12:42 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A quick look at the latest "Reel ID" pages shows that a majority of recent releases now have cyan dye tracks. Universal seems to be in the process of converting. Warner Bros. is one of the last still using silver applicated tracks.

http://www.film-tech.com/id.html

Here's the current tally on the Dye Tracks website:

http://www.dyetracks.org/cyan_title_releases.html

quote:
Titles Released in Cyan

From Disney:
A Lot Like Love
Annapolis
Casanova
Chicken Little
Dark Water
Flight Plan
Glory Road
Heffalump
Herbie: Fully Loaded
Ice Princess
Mr. 3000
Pacifier
Sky High
The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
The Greatest Game Ever Played
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Valiant

From DreamWorks:
Anything Else
Dreamer
Just Like Heaven
Madagascar
Matchpoint
Red Eye
Ring 2
Surviving Christmas
The Island
The Wallace & Gromit Movie

From FOX:
Grandma's Boy

From MGM:
Amityville Horror
Beauty Shop
Be Cool
Hotel Rwanda
Into The Blue
Soul Plane
The Pink Panther
Wicker Park

From Miramax:
An Unfinished Life
Cursed
Get Over It (limited release)
Jay And The Silent Bob Strike Back (limited release)
Proof
Secuestro Express
Sin City
The Adventures of Shark Boy and Lava Girl in 3D
The Brothers Grimm
The Great Raid

New Line
Just Friends
The Man

From Sony:
Bewitched
Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo
Exorcism of Emily Rose
Fun with Dick & Jane
Legend of Zorro
Memoirs of a Geisha
Oliver Twist
Rent
Stealth
The Fog
The Gospel
Zathura

Universal
DOOM
First Descent
Jarhead
King Kong
Munich
The Producers

Upcoming Titles in Cyan

Disney
Cars
Eight Below
Pirates of the Caribbean-Dead Man's Chest
The Shaggy Dog
The Wild
AND ALL UPCOMING FUTURE RELEASES

DreamWorks
Flushed Away
Over the Hedge
She's the Man
The Last Kiss
Transformers

FOX
Aquamarine
Date Movie
Flicka
Ice Age 2
Idiocracy
Just My Luck
The Namesake
X-Men 3

MGM

Miramax
Alien Love Triangle
Ritual
The Reaper

New Line
Final Destination 3

Sony
ALL UPCOMING FUTURE RELEASES

Universal
ALL UPCOMING FUTURE RELEASES

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 03-02-2006 08:42 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
GN&GL plays fine on red light, no need to worry.

-Aaron

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-04-2006 11:25 AM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My print of GRANDMA'S BOY was High Magenta. Fun With Dick And Jane was a mix (two reels were high magenta). I have yet to see a Paramount or Warner Brothers or Fox or Lions Gate title that was cyan.

I thought Weinstein Company was all-cyan as well, but then I got Wolf Creek (not cyan).

Buena Vista, Dreamworks, Sony (w/ the exception of The Gospel), Universal, New Line (since The Man) seem to be all-cyan.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-04-2006 01:41 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fox is starting to go with Cyan .. WB and Par are still in the high-magenta mode.

Christopher Seo
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-04-2006 05:01 PM      Profile for Christopher Seo   Email Christopher Seo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From a purely subjective standpoint, I wouldn't worry about the red LEDs with conventional tracks. I have run all sorts of old variable density (B&W) and variable area (B&W, color) tracks, on red LED reverse scanners (Kinoton soundhead retrofit for Norelco AAII), and most of them sounded fine. I haven't done an A-B comparison between white and red light, but I can say that some conventional tracks have sounded phenomenal with red light ("Pink Floyd The Wall" in A-type comes to mind), while others sound rather poor, so I think that any distortions the red light introduces are relatively minor.

(Note: the "Wall" print was very recent, within the past 3-5 years, but my understanding is that all conventional tracks are still optimized for white light.)

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 03-05-2006 03:01 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys, and Chris, that's good practical information. I got word from Universal that AMERICAN DREAMZ is indeed cyan so in go the reverse scanners. If I come across a standard print optimized for white light that sounds particularly bad, we can deal with that when the time comes. This will not be the case for GN&GL which would have been optimized for red light.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 03-05-2006 04:47 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is 'Good Night and Good Luck' printed on black and white or colour stock?

I had quite a few, about a dozen, cyan prints within a few weeks, but hardly any recently. 'Jarhead' is this week, but that's the first 'new' film. i.e. not one which we're had before, and brought back for another run, for about a month. This week also sees our first cyan trailer; for a French film, I've forgotten the title. This is interesting; most of the cyan tracks which I've seen were on prints from French labs. For a while we were getting quite a few non-French films printed in France for some reason.

Still seen no adverts in cyan.

Another strange thing, in the last few weeks there seems to be an increase in the number of films released with conventional, i.e. not high magenta, tracks.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-05-2006 03:58 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Stephen Furley
Is 'Good Night and Good Luck' printed on black and white or colour stock?

..print is on the b/w stock. optical and digital tracks are the silver variety.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 03-29-2006 10:34 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Frank Angel
I am also running GOOD NIGHT AND GOOD LUCK in the same house right after AMERICAN DREAMZ, and even though that is not a cyan track (B&W), I am correct in assuming that it will be optimumized for red light excitation, right?

Frank, how did you get on with this film? We've got it this week, and we've been having problems with it.

I wasn't aware of any problems during the first show, nor with the second one, which was a different film. Due to the fact that it is a short film I wasn't able to get down to the auditorium while it was running, as I was getting other material ready. I hadn't noticed anything wrong on the monitor speakers, but it's difficult to hear dialogue properly over the noise of the machines.

During the last screening of the day I had a call from the Duty Manager, reporting a complaint from a customer of poor sound. I went down to the auditorium, and the sound was poor, a bit like people speaking with paper bags over their heads. I checked all the obvious things that I could do while the film was running, but could find nothing obviously wrong. Spoke to the DM, she decided that it wasn't too bad, and we should continue the show. I checked again after the changeover, and it was still the same, so that rules out the soundhead.

Stay behind after the show, and try just about everything. Ran it in SR, A and mono. Ran it in bypass, that rules out most of the processor. Ran it with the spare pre-amp card, that rules out the pre-amp. Ran other film, ran non sync from both CD and tape. Listened to each channel in turn; all are affected, so power amps and speakers are unlikely. Suddenly, that problem clears up on it's own, and has not returned.

However, we still have a problem with 'Goodbye'. I think the combination of the two problems was what we were hearing on Friday. Went in early on Saturday, ran the adverts and trailers reel, fine. Ran the first reel of the children's film, fine. ran the start of reel four of 'Goodbye', and it sounds like a very dirty, scratched, mouldy track. This must be the print, because everything else now sounds fine.

I've not had problems with any other silver tracks which I've run since the red readers were fitted. The readers are red lasers, one machine is fitted with a Future Projections one, and the other with an ACL.

The intended track type, printed from the negative says 'SILVER', so it should be ok. I've asked two other people who have run the film, they didn't report any problems, but they were running one of the digital tracks.

Has anyone here had any problems with the analogue track on this film?

Ron Curran
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-29-2006 06:53 PM      Profile for Ron Curran   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Curran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Used print. We did not receive discs, so we tried Good Night in Dolby Digital with bad luck from spool 1. Switched off Digital to avoid hunting and ran SR. Sound slightly furry.
End of show, media pads caked with black. Load up new pads for next screening and run Dolby tone to check levels. Minor adjustment. Next screening, media pads not so black and sound a little less furry.
After about six screenings, hardly any black dust in the machine and print looking great and sound acceptable not perfect but intelligible and music quite nice.

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2006 02:53 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ron, did you run those media pads dry or with filmguard?

Kenneth Tiffany
Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2006 04:16 AM      Profile for Kenneth Tiffany   Email Kenneth Tiffany   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the prints I made up tonight(Wed. night) had cyan tracks on some reels and magenta on others. It was Basic Instinct 2, ATL, or Take the Lead. I can't remember, it's all a blur in my mind (building for the last half of an 11 hour shift in the booth).

Anyways, I just thought that was odd.

Ron Curran
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2006 05:20 AM      Profile for Ron Curran   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Curran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We always run the pads with FilmGuard. It seems to work. Just on the sound track problem: we always panic when we get a used print and no DTS. Dolby Digital will fail about one in six cases. Got a used print from a cinema that has some of the oldest gear around (Raycophones) and the Digital track ran perfectly - fault reading 1 - 2. So, sometimes, its not the age of the gear, its the age of the projectionist.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: