Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » How fast are reels printed on high speed printers? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: How fast are reels printed on high speed printers?
Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 03-17-2006 07:02 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And also, how fast do depot workers rewind reels on their rewind / benches?

|  IP: Logged

David Graham Rose
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2006 05:54 AM      Profile for David Graham Rose   Email David Graham Rose   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings

Very fast indeed. In some branches of Technicolor, film is printed at a rate approaching the speed of light, which is why the quality drops so dramatically. On an emergency print run of the last Star Wars, the panel printers were pressed into action at 1.5xspeed of light. What actually happened is the the printers actually began to run in reverse, and printed a mirror image of the film, thus causing projectionists here in the UK to have to lace up with the emulsion facing the lens.

Good afternoon

David

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-18-2006 08:19 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was once told that the London Technicolor lab has the capacity to produce a million feet of release print per day.

David Graham Rose
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2006 08:27 AM      Profile for David Graham Rose   Email David Graham Rose   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
True, but at what cost to quality? Why are so many SRD tracks failing in the UK on new release prints?

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 03-18-2006 11:34 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How many machines do they have in that lab?

If they had 100 machines, a million feet of film would only be 10,000 per. Not amazing. But if there were only two or three of them, that would be something to see.

For three machines, that would be 63 miles for each.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-18-2006 01:21 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Technicolor has 4 high speed printers and many other printers in their LA lab. Deluxe has 18 high speed printers (if I recall correctly) in their Toronto lab. I can't remember the specific numbers, but the term "damned fast" should suffice. [Wink]

The depot workers don't wind film at all. That's why they all use clip-together reels.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 03-18-2006 02:16 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Faster than one reel per minute do you think? If not, two minutes? Five?

I guess I'm thinking of the distribution center workers not the depot workers. I thought I saw one of them rewinding a reel on one of your photos of the Technicolor warehouse.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-18-2006 02:24 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
That's the same place...and they were doing an inspection, NOT rewinding onto reels.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-18-2006 03:05 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The last time I heard which was a few years back it was in excess of 1800 fpm but it may have been increased by now.

Mark

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 03-18-2006 03:52 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Mark.

Brad,

Let me rephrase... How fast can that thing that the depot workers are inspecting film on wind film if they crank it up all the way?

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 03-18-2006 05:01 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Off the shelf" BHP Bi-Directional panel printers normally run at 960 feet per minute for release printing. Customized (proprietary) printers go up from there, and often "loop" the picture and sound negatives.

Remember, as long as the printing negative has short pitch perforations (e.g., BH-1866) and the raw stock has long pitch perforations (e.g., KS-1870), a contact printer can be optimized to have almost no slippage, even at very high printing speeds.

Dominic Case
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2006 01:04 AM      Profile for Dominic Case   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: David Graham Rose
True, but at what cost to quality?
No-one here has produced any argument that relates printing speed to quality in any scientific way. As John points out, if the neg and the raw print stock have the correct pitch perforations (they do) and if they are transported around he printing sprocket with sufficiently well-controlled tension, then the film can travel almost as fast as a London bus (OK work that out [Smile] ) without loss of quality. Slippage and steadiness aren't issues if the engineering is done properly, and the technology really is at a very sophisticated level nowadays.

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2006 04:05 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
one thing that i understand can't be done in a high-speed print job is color timing changes. so (presumably) the interpos or interneg is timed and the print is made one-light. that is sub-optimal, isn't it? (which is not to say that it would be done optimally even at a slower speed.)

also, what about redeveloper splashing on a non-cyan track print? is that any more prone to happen the higher the speed?

and raw-stock splices: more likely to be poorly aligned? i wouldn't think fogging would be any more frequent, but... is it?

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 03-23-2006 05:33 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Carl Martin
one thing that i understand can't be done in a high-speed print job is color timing changes. so (presumably) the interpos or interneg is timed and the print is made one-light. that is sub-optimal, isn't it? (which is not to say that it would be done optimally even at a slower speed.)

If the interneg is correctly timed (graded), either when it was made, or by doing it at a previous film element or digital stage, then there is no need for any light changes when making the release prints. There's nothing wrong with doing it that way, it makes far more sense to make the changes once, or a rew times, rather than hundreds, or thousands of times. Do high-speed continuous contact release printers even have the means to make scene by scene light changes? I've never seen one, but I would doubt it, because it wouldn't be necessaty, and because it would be difficult to do it at the high speed.

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2006 06:13 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it works, in the sense that the colors are correct overall, but my understanding that this comes at a certain expense, but i don't know exactly what to call it. maybe to do with detail, contrast, and grain?

let's say a scene was shot with normal exposure, but intended to be printed dark. if the interpositive is timed, then the range of densities in that shot will be compressed into the densest portion of the density "spectrum". then this is printed into the least dense portion on the internegative, then dense again onto the final print. whereas if the final print is timed then this tonal compression won't happen until the final step and will retain its detail, etc, better.

now, i grant you that i don't really know what i'm talking about and certainly don't have the correct terminology for what i'm trying to say. also, my source for this explanation is a guy who doesn't always have his facts straight, but has spoken with great cinematographers about these things (many of you probably know who i'm talking about). it seems plausible to me.

anyways, if i've got this all wrong, someone correct me. i'd also like to know the right terms for things. actually, my uncle used to be a color timer so i'd like to be able to pick his brain about this stuff.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: