Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Need scans to illustrate a book

Author Topic: Need scans to illustrate a book
Ken Greenebaum
Film Handler

- posted 03-19-2006 11:48 PM      Profile for Ken Greenebaum   Email Ken Greenebaum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently discovered film-tech.com and hope someone from this community will be able to help me find images I need to illustrate the third volume of my book, Audio Anecdotes.

Specifically I am looking for a multi-frame scan of a length of 35mm countdown leader including sprocket holes and mono analog soundtrack (stereo would also be OK but simpler is better) containing the synchronized 'beep'.

I need this to help illustrate an article describing audio/video synchronization techniques.

For you real (or is it reel?) collectors, I would love to obtain a scan of a few frames from a film demonstrating Edison’s recording of musicians in from of large horn based recording apparatus for a related article.

Within reason, the higher the resolution of the scan the better.

Please visit the following links and click “search inside the book” to learn a little more about the project through the first two volumes:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1568811047/sworksstoryworks
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1568812140/sworksstoryworks

Please feel free to forward my posting to anyone who you think might be interested.

Thanks,

Ken Greenebaum
DELETED

[ 03-20-2006, 01:22 AM: Message edited by: Brad Miller ]

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-20-2006 01:22 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Read the rules before you post again or you will find yourself and your posts booted.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 03-20-2006 09:08 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The "Audio Cyclopedia" Howard W. Sams, Indianapolis In. once had a really good section on Optical recording & playback.

Recent (15 years) editions dropped this section since "no one still uses optical recording." I informed the editor that almost every movie theatre uses optical and he said "almost no one." Louis

Ken Greenebaum
Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2006 10:26 AM      Profile for Ken Greenebaum   Email Ken Greenebaum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the book I describe optical sound on film as being the technology that first made movies with synchronized sound track both reliable and economically viable (in contrast to earlier sound on disk attempts). I then use this as a motivation toward the generalized concept of synchronization and achieving synchronization in the digital realm.

I will try to find an older copy of "Audio Cyclopedia" that describes optical sound. As you suggest there aren't all that many general references that do. I found Scott Eyman's "The speed of sound" to provide a compelling history of the birth of the talkie.

-Ken

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 03-28-2006 03:03 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser
The "Audio Cyclopedia" Howard W. Sams, Indianapolis In. once had a really good section on Optical recording & playback.

Recent (15 years) editions dropped this section since "no one still uses optical recording." I informed the editor that almost every movie theatre uses optical and he said "almost no one.

This looked like an interesting book, so I located a used hardcover copy of the 1987 edition on amazon for $35 and ordered it. But that edition didn't have anything about optical sound on film in it either. It still is a good book since it covers a lot of ground in its 1200+ pages. But I found it strange that they apparently dropped the optical film sound section even before 1987. It does contain a small chapter about image projection though.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: