Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Hand Douser Question

Author Topic: Hand Douser Question
Matt Hollis
Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2006 08:55 AM      Profile for Matt Hollis   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Hollis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How long does one recommend the hand douser be left closed with the bulb operating? We have a mix of Xenex I's, Xenex II's, and Xetron XHN's. Is the C/O douser strong enough to hold back light for a while (5 to 10 minutes)?

|  IP: Logged

Bryan Fournier
Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2006 09:11 AM      Profile for Bryan Fournier   Email Bryan Fournier   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Matt,

A properly functioning hand douser should be able to take a lamp's heat for that period of time. I've used the douser for up to 15 min when aligning a xenon lamp. The more important number is no more than 30 sec of raw light through a lens. BTW - I wouldn't use the C/O douser plate to block the light for more than 30 sec either. They're mainly designed to block the light for brief periods while the countdown leader is running through the gate. I've seen holes burned right through them.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 03-21-2006 12:47 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In studio applications, the lamp is not shut down at all between 20 minute reels. (The bulb is always darker when first struck). Not all dousers can stand this much long-term heat so special cooling fins, etc are required on the douser blade. Also special attention must be paid to the reflection off the douser and what it does to super-heat the bulb & reflector. Louis

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-21-2006 12:58 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Xenex1 and 2 have issues with heat so a better dowser is advised

David Graham Rose
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2006 01:29 PM      Profile for David Graham Rose   Email David Graham Rose   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings
How long does one recommend the hand douser be left closed with the bulb operating? We have a mix of Xenex I's, Xenex II's, and Xetron XHN's. Is the C/O douser strong enough to hold back light for a while (5 to 10 minutes)?

Hand douser = close with one's hand
C/O douser = close by means of an electromechanical switch.

My dear chap, it really is as simple as that.

From Cambridge

Goodnight

David

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-21-2006 11:48 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shoot, Cine V8(r) machines, mounted as a V-18 setup, had a dowser pretty thick to when the bulb was ignited, the bulb stayed lit for the entire day...we had vertical 2.5k bulbs in those side shooting lamphouses.

-Monte

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: