Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » RCA -> Simplex Adapter Plate For Simplex 3-Point Pedestal

Author Topic: RCA -> Simplex Adapter Plate For Simplex 3-Point Pedestal
Brett G. Sherris
Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2006 09:12 AM      Profile for Brett G. Sherris   Author's Homepage   Email Brett G. Sherris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Resident Experts:

I have a Simplex SH-1000 soundhead that I wish to mount to a Simplex 3-point pedestal.

The problem is that the pedestal mounting holes are 2.25" on center, and the holes on the soundhead are 1.75" on center.

Obviously some type of adapter is necessary to mount this head to the pedestal...my question is what type of adapter, and where to find it?

Here is a picture of the pedestal mount:

-

And here is a picture of the soundhead mount:

-

Any help would be appreciated.

Brett

[ 03-27-2006, 01:08 PM: Message edited by: Brett G. Sherris ]

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-27-2006 01:05 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(..please edit your post and remove your email address...not allowed in this forum..)

I have a hunch the three point base was to mount the silent era Sinplex Standard projector since the base was made before the sound era began.

Brett G. Sherris
Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2006 01:12 PM      Profile for Brett G. Sherris   Author's Homepage   Email Brett G. Sherris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monte:

I amended my post per your advice.

I have been told by another member (via email) that the mounting flange on my Simplex base is for an RCA soundhead, and that I have to change it.

I can't believe that nobody has fashioned adapters to deal with this sort type of problem.

B.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 03-27-2006 01:15 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
2.25 spacing is for an RCA Photophone sound head. Possible adapter plates could be available from Charles Wolk company.

Brett G. Sherris
Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2006 01:38 PM      Profile for Brett G. Sherris   Author's Homepage   Email Brett G. Sherris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody have the phone number or URL for the Charles Wolk company?

B.

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2006 02:04 PM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ed Wolk
phone number is on that page.

Brett G. Sherris
Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2006 02:30 PM      Profile for Brett G. Sherris   Author's Homepage   Email Brett G. Sherris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dan:

Thanks...reached a fellow named Rob there, who said he would do some scrounging around.

Again, if anybody has any leads on RCA -> Simplex adapter plates for this pedestal, I would be exceedingly grateful.

Brett

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-27-2006 07:15 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The three point base pictured has a western electric mount similar to the TA7500 and the motiograph SH7500 soundhead mounting arrangement
The silent base had a flat plate for the head to sit on

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-27-2006 07:27 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Simplex made a series of arms for the three point pedestals... RCA, Simplex, Western Electric and the old flat foot silent mount. There may be a couple of others made I am not aware of. Wolk won't have any of these I can just abot guarantee you that. I might have a Simplex Arm laying around here someplace and I will look tonight and report back. If not you will need to track down another entore 3-point base. BTW: there were also adaptor blocks made and they did make the type you need but that moves the hanging soundhead and projector out another 3 to 4 inches... a very dangerous situation on a 3-point.... They are not known for being well balanced or extremely sturdy! A 5 point Simplex base would be a better and safer choice.

EDIT: I could only find two of the four mounts I have... the others may be at work. This is the part you need to replace to do the job right.

-

-

In the photo below you can see the adaptor block below the serial number of the sound head. Although this one is the opposite of what you need it will give you a good idea of how far forword the whole projector is brought. This is the oddest system I service and the theatre with the oddest name....Worm Creek Cinema [Eek!] ! Prooves that anything could be adapted to anything else in those days. Something that you will never see happen again in any industry.

-
Mark

Brett G. Sherris
Film Handler

- posted 03-28-2006 03:21 PM      Profile for Brett G. Sherris   Author's Homepage   Email Brett G. Sherris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In case anybody else finds themselves in the same situation with a Simplex 3-point pedestal as I have, you will be happy to know that Wolk has a rather elegant adapter that converts a Monograph arm to Simplex, and does not extend the projector more than 3/4" forward:

-

John Eickhof
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-29-2006 03:32 PM      Profile for John Eickhof   Author's Homepage   Email John Eickhof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the proper hangar bracket..email me...john

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: