Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Strong AP platter runs faster when nonused platter take up motor is activated.

Author Topic: Strong AP platter runs faster when nonused platter take up motor is activated.
Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-17-2006 03:48 PM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I service a theatre which has made me aware of a strange behavior exhibited by Strong AP3 platter systems. (not DMC, not SCDC, just the regular old variac with the phase control brain plates)

The projectionists would use a rubber band to hold the take up roller on the platter , not in use, so that the motor would just free wheel while the other two platter fed out and took up the film. Doing this seemed to cause the feed out platter to be more responsive, yeilding a feed out which didn't lag or speed up and slow down.

I spoke with Design and Manufacturing (Potts) who commented that they have heard of this behavior also but didn't know why this would happen after inspecting the electrical schematic.

Anybody have any insight on this?

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-17-2006 09:58 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He holds up that roller with a rubber band?

What about just using one brain..the other one phase control in the brain could be bad. (replace those phase controls with microswitches..)

Why not just simply shut that deck off with the makeup switch in the up position, thus shutting that motor off.

Or, unplug that motor and see what happens. .

Motor could have a shorted diode in the frame.

For, the variac is controlling ALL of the electricity going into that tower, and if one motor is weak, it depends on the other to aid it along.

Disconnect each motor to see if the speed picks up..in as well as using one brain.

Some ideas for you. - Monte

Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-17-2006 11:37 PM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The projectionist uses the platter system in a normal way regarding the proper use of the feed out and take up platters. Additionally, the projectionist lowers the motor on the third unused platter so that it does not contact the platter. The projectionist then uses a rubber band on the unused platter to activate the unused motor by pulling the switching take up roller in. This is the last roller on the tree that the film comes into contact with before it winds up on the platter ring.

The projectionist has learned to do this trick from someone and I have witnessed that it does seem to make the brain plate more responsive. The downside; however, is that this action is masking a problem with the platter system, most likely a brain plate which needs a new phase control circuit. Additionally the free wheeling motor is spinning for no reason which will wear down the motor brushes and shorten its life.

I was just curious why this technique seems to speed up the response of the feed out platter??

Hopefully I have not made this more confusing.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-18-2006 02:52 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Eric Robinson
most likely a brain plate which needs a new phase control circuit.
..the LED in the unit is getting tired..I bet if you took off that cover, you'd see the year of manufacture of that phase control.. - definitely time for a new phase control unit.

What you need to do then is to 'condemn' each part of that platter with these steps then;

1- use only one brain..the good one.
..if this doesn't return the platter to normal..then -
2-disconnect the motor from the tower that isn't being used.

What happens when you hook up the MUT to the payout deck and control the motor speed with the MUT's speed control .. and NOT have that unused motor activated?

I'm pointing to a weak phase control unit that is causing this..

Try the one brain trick first..

-Monte

Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2006 07:40 PM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all of your helpful information Monte.

I suspect that the phase control LED has faded or perhaps the solar cell detector has lost its sensitivity.

I had suspected this as a problem from the beginning.

I guess my objective for this post was to see if anyone knew why the platter system acted differently when an unused motor was activated.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-19-2006 12:05 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
sorry...it's like when a headlight burns out in a car..and you then replace that headlight with a new one. That new one is going to send the bulk of the current to the old one since the resistance in the new one is higher due to the newer filaments (and a stronger phase control..) and current will always like to find the least resistive route.

Why, when a headlight goes out, you replace them in pairs.

Doing the motor trick balanced that current flow... - Monte

Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2006 12:10 AM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. Its like a parallel circuit with two loads where one load has less resistance. The load with less resistance will consume more current. I'll try to match that with my circumstances and see how it pans out.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 04-19-2006 01:36 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Eric Robinson
The projectionists would use a rubber band to hold the take up roller on the platter , not in use, so that the motor would just free wheel
Something like using the lever to disengage it from the platter?

Putting a second takeup motor across the variac would add to the load, causing the rollers to drop & the variac to increase voltage to get the takeup speed back up. That would also raise power to the feed platter. So... maybe it could be an LED... but couldn't it also be just a simple phase control alignment or platter timing issue?

Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2006 10:48 AM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think this scenerio is possible:
quote: Jack Ondracek
causing the rollers to drop & the variac to increase voltage to get the takeup speed back up
because the only way the variac can increase voltage is to cause its own armature to move. Even if the variac was able to move its own armature, it would then be in a position which is out of sync with the projector. That is it would be taking up too quickly or too slowly leading to an eventual problem.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: