Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » I need help with my RCA 400 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: I need help with my RCA 400
Jose Cuadra
Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2006 11:45 PM      Profile for Jose Cuadra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, I'm new to the forums as well as to 16mm films. Last sunday I found my grandfather's RCA 400 projector along with some home movies,I decided to watch them and I already knew how to use it (my grandpa taught me before he passed away). So I watched a few short family films and it worked perfectly, I stopped for like 2 hours and then went back to using it and started up fine. The sound isn't working because the exciter bulb is missing, I'm hoping that's the only reason.

Now on to the real problem, at the end of the evening I left the projector loaded with a film I wanted to show my mother the next day. On monday I started it up but it wasn't working at the right speed and it's not the silent/sound switch, it goes at like half the normal speed on the regular setting(and VERY slow on the other setting) and when you first turn it on it seems like it has a hard time starting to roll the film, the same problem happens when you try to rewind it, it goes very slow compared to how it worked on sunday.

This thing has been sitting in the attic for at least 6 years since it was used the last time and I'm sure that my grandpa never did any maintenance work to it before that, at least not for the last 20 or so years(he got it back in the 50s). I tried adding some oil on the holes that say "place two drops of oil into each hole after showing" but that didn't do anything.

I also don't have the manual, if anyone has it in .pdf format or knows where to find it, I would really appreciate it.

Another part of the problem is that I live in Venezuela and there is no one to my knowledge that knows how to fix this thing and I'm 100% sure you can't find parts, so basically I'm on my own.

I'm willing to open it up, take pictures, anything that will help you guys diagnose the problem, I'm a DIY kind of person so I actually enjoy this type of things.

Well, sorry about the long post, but I'm really desperate for help.

Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2006 12:01 AM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jose

You should be able to remove the back cover which will expose the inner working's. Im betting that when you changed the speed the belt slipped off the flywheel. Look for the main motor. There should be a duel pulley on the shaft one larger then the other. When you change the lever to change the speed it slips the drive belt to the appropriate pulley. Sometimes the belt slides off and gets jammed or slips. Should be easy to see whats going on once you open the back. Good luck.

If you go to the manual section of this forum they have the manual/service manual for your projector in the 16mm section. Here the link.
http://www.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/externallink.cgi?http://www.film-tech.com/warehouse/index.php?category=2;rt=1146286980402

Jose Cuadra
Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2006 12:08 AM      Profile for Jose Cuadra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the quick reply Alan Ill go check the belt right now.

*nevermind, I hadn't noticed the links on top of the default list [Big Grin] .

UPDATE: I took off the cover, I think I found the belt Alan mentioned and I think it was working properly, although it looked a bit worn out. However, there was this big "wheel" thingie that caught my eye because it didn't spin when I turned on the projector, but it did when I turned it by hand and it looks as if it should spin, it also has a mark that makes me think it had some sort of belt attached to it, I didn't find one near it though (or pieces of one). I took some pics so you can get a better idea of what I'm talking about:

-

-

-

One more thing, is there anything in there that I should be careful with in there? like something that could electrocute me, I know monitors and TVs are very dangerous to open up and I don't know if this bad boy has anything like that, I don't want to end up fried by my RCA 400 [Embarrassed] .

Oh, and if you need larger pictures or different angles/shots just let me know.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 04-29-2006 09:35 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The condition / age of the motor drive belt requires replacement and is probably slipping on the pullies. The other round device is the sound drum flywheel which not belt driven; you are seeing the "casting" marks of the flywheel which is common.

Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2006 10:35 AM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As Richard pointed out the second picture shows your sound drum that will only spin when film is running through the projector. No belt is normal.

Yes the pictures above that are what I was talking about. When you turn on the projector you should see the motor spin and that belt if working properly should grasp that flywheel and put everything into motion if it is not slipping. If it is slipping it will need to be replaced. Here is a great forum devoted to 16mm. These guys will tell you where to get parts and many here can help on a more technical level. You will have to register to partake. Good luck.
http://www.16mmfilms.com/phpbb/

Jose Cuadra
Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2006 12:55 PM      Profile for Jose Cuadra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, I don't notice any slippage on the main pulley, but that doesn't mean it isn't there, would a video of the projector running help you tell if that is in fact the problem?

If it is, then how come it worked perfecty the first day? that's what I find puzzling, could the fact that it hadn't been used for years made the belt tighter and then after I used it the first day it got worn out for good?

I registered at the 16mmfilm forum but they haven't accepted me yet.

Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2006 01:52 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check to make sure the belt to the take up arm is not slipping. Even if it were the claw that pulls the film down through the gate should still be taking in the film. I would not know where to go from here but Im sure you will get an answer over on the 16 forum. Some of those guys can take the machines apart and rebuild them in their sleep. Im guessing if it was working fine one day then stopped the next day ( so we know it was a working machine ) and youve checked the belts and the motor is fine then lets hope its something simple.

Jose Cuadra
Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2006 02:02 PM      Profile for Jose Cuadra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The claw is supposed to move the belt from the left side which seems to be the default to the right side of the belt (if you look at it from the rear, like the pic I posted), correct? I might have to remove the amp to get a better view of that mechanism and of the belt.

Thanks again for the advise Alan [Smile] .

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2006 03:25 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a 400 Jr. once. My guess, if the belt is not slipping and the motor is running at speed, would be that the drive mechanism is binding because of a lack of lubrication. You might try switching the speed between sound and silent several times while it is running to be sure the drive belt is seating correctly. Another trick is to remove the drive belt and see if the motor runs at speed. And with the drive belt removed, try turning the machine over by hand to see if it turns freely. If everything checks out, replace the belt.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 04-29-2006 06:26 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking at the condition of the belt in the photo, the internal cords are keeping the belt together....it will probably disintegrate after a few speed changes......

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-30-2006 04:59 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed. I've never seen one of those 400s bind up but that doesn't mean it can't happen. I vote for a new belt.

Hugh McCullough
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-30-2006 05:15 PM      Profile for Hugh McCullough   Author's Homepage   Email Hugh McCullough   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jose.
I have sent you an email explaining where you can download free pdf copies of the manuals that you require for your machine.

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-30-2006 06:12 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It could be that the old oil and grease was OK at first, but after it was disturbed, then set over night, it turned to goo, and is slowing down the projector. See if the projector turns over easily by hand, if not, you may have to do a lot of disassembly, cleaning, and re-lubing.

Something strange I just noticed: we are talking about an RCA 400, and this is my 400th post. This calls for a beer! [beer] But than again, everything calls for a beer. [beer] [beer]

Jose Cuadra
Film Handler

- posted 04-30-2006 10:28 PM      Profile for Jose Cuadra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all the replies guys, do you know where I could find a new belt? (online) as well as the model/part number. I tried using google and yahoo but couldb't find anything. Another thing, is this one the one they call RCA 400 Jr. or the Senior?

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2006 07:54 AM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mechanically the juniors and seniors are identical. The only difference lies in the amplifiers, where the seniors had transformer powered (as opposed to "hot chassis" line voltage) amplifiers, while the juniors were lighter and smaller and had line voltage amps. The majority of the seniors had 6V6 output tubes, except for the final 415 and 416 models (which yours is not) which used 6879 outputs. If memory serves, the juniors used 50C5 or 35W4 outputs. PS: Be careful with the juniors due to the hot chassis, compounded by the fact that caps and resistors are over the hill by now unless they've been replaced. You can get a nasty shock from this type amp fussing around the chassis or even plugging in a speaker.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: