Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » cinemecanica platter wont take up fast enough

Author Topic: cinemecanica platter wont take up fast enough
Robert D. LaValley
Film Handler

- posted 04-30-2006 03:33 PM      Profile for Robert D. LaValley   Email Robert D. LaValley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have an old booth with a number of cinemecanica platters that wont take up fast enough. it seems like the arms dont have enough back tension. and even if you hit start and try to spin the platter by hand to catch it up it still slows back down and the fail safes drop. some of them just do it intermittently but others its effecting the whole tree. Any suggestions? I've tryed adjusting the speed on with the adjustment on the arm but it really does nothing to change the problem.

Anyone have any used platters I can pitch to my boss to get, these are driving me nutz! hahahah

|  IP: Logged

Ron Curran
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-30-2006 08:53 PM      Profile for Ron Curran   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Curran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The speed controls are hidden behind the metal cover over the switch panel. Each circuit card has a trim pot. Turn clockwise to slow and anti-clockwise to speed up. Just very small adjustment will make a big difference. Careful, there is high voltage on those areas.

Good luck

Robert D. LaValley
Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2006 10:21 PM      Profile for Robert D. LaValley   Email Robert D. LaValley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
isnt that trim pot only for payout and not take up?

Nick Scott
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2006 06:05 AM      Profile for Nick Scott   Author's Homepage   Email Nick Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes rob thats right.
It sounds like the springs which hold the take up arm tension are getting a bit loose and or old try replacing them watch out for your eyes though they jump out at you. [thumbsup]

Ron Curran
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2006 05:54 PM      Profile for Ron Curran   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Curran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I might be stating the bleeding obvious but you can only have one deck switched to take-up. If 2 switches are on take-up the loading deck will not get up to speed.

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2006 01:55 AM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have recently replaced some pots on my cinemecanica platters and re timed them , not job to be rushed i might add.

The take up speed can be adjusted by the pot on the bottom of the plate control and or the trim pot on the speed control card as already mentioned.

The take up arm tension spring should have about 900 grams on it , I checked this with a basic set of fish weighing scales.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-04-2006 02:05 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would be handy to post which model of cinemecanica platter this is and have you tried the procedure for timing in their manual?

Robert D. LaValley
Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2006 07:46 PM      Profile for Robert D. LaValley   Email Robert D. LaValley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Phil Blake

The take up speed can be adjusted by the pot on the bottom of the plate control and or the trim pot on the speed control card as already mentioned.

The take up arm tension spring should have about 900 grams on it , I checked this with a basic set of fish weighing scales.

If I adjust the speed via the speed control card it will reverse brain wrap on pay-out, which leads me to believe that the card adjustment is soley for pay-out. And where exactly would be the pot you changed? the only pots I can find are one underneath where the arm attaches to the tree and on the brains themselves (which are removable brains not fixed in the units).

The model is a CN35 platter I believe. I'm not standing right in front of it or I'd get more specific.

The timing instructions are vague and hard to understand, considering unfortunately the manual I have is printed very poorly and the readable parts are in italian.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-04-2006 11:17 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you contacted the company that installed them
There are many of those platters in daily use so I doubt that unless they have been abused that they will be difficult to maintain or service

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2006 05:37 AM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the take up arm pot is located at the very bottom of the plate , under a black plastic cover, the take up arm should be moved and held in position about 55cms from the post roller slide , the after unlocking the pot spindle from the arm slowly move it till the plate starts to creep, the tighten it up.

If you are not confident with this follow Gordons instructions and contact the supplier or download a manual from the manuals sections on this site.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: