Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Issues and Rank RK 60's

Author Topic: Issues and Rank RK 60's
Glen Rich
Film Handler

- posted 06-03-2006 04:13 AM      Profile for Glen Rich   Email Glen Rich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Independent cinema I've worked for for the last 15 years got taken over by a cinema chain. Due to circumstance it seems that I've about 20 years more Projection, service and maintenance experience than most of the kids,(most very early 20's), employed at other locations around town.
They were having issues at one location, so went and had a look at the managers request.
Replaced a xenon in a Cinemeccanica CX16H lamphouse,(thanks film-tech for the manual), smallest bloody lamphouse I've ever come across, very fiddly.
Found a Century with no discernable oil in the sight glass on the intermittant, swore roundly, and put oil into the intermittant and the oiling points around the head. Young operator then informed me that it had been squeeking for a while; strangely enough the squeeking stopped once oil was applied.
Found a Rank RK 60 running a session with NO oil in the sight glass, sent a kid running for a bottle of oil and filled the bugger to the red mark on the fly, about 400 ml of oil, it was dry. Another Rank RK 60 was running with only a third the required oil.

The question! What, if any parts are interchangeable with the Cinemeccanica Victoria 8, specifically the intermittant movement for the RK60?
I was informed many years ago that the Vic 8 was a direct copy of the Rank RK 60, or vice versa, I've been informed that some Cinemeccanica parts have been used to service these RK's in the past.
One short note; the kids doing the operating have been doing exactly what they were taught, and other than equipment about to self destruct, they are exceptional film handlers. They were never taught the basic maintenance/service requirements, I've no idea why.

|  IP: Logged

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 06-03-2006 08:34 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rank RK60 is generally a Cinemeccanica V8. Rank contracted with Cinemeccanica to supply their marketing areas with projection equipment when Kalee was shut down.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-03-2006 09:35 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The older Vic8 and the RK60 used a all metal shutter drive gear combination
The newer machines use a fibre and steel gear combo so you need to replace them as a pair

Glen Rich
Film Handler

- posted 06-03-2006 11:24 AM      Profile for Glen Rich   Email Glen Rich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you gentlemen, I'll run with your advice. If I have to change over the intermittant in the first RK 60 I shall let you know how it goes...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: