Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Keeping rollers spinning

Author Topic: Keeping rollers spinning
Christopher Meredith
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-07-2006 09:18 PM      Profile for Christopher Meredith   Author's Homepage   Email Christopher Meredith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is related to the other thread I just posted but I think it's different enough to warrant its own discussion.

Anyway, in the past few days I've noticed several rollers here and there that had stopped spinning. A shot of WD40 freed them up but I think it's time to go through and service all our rollers. The rollers that gum up the most are the ones in the brains so I started with them. I removed the sticky ball-bearing rollers from one of my brains, took out the axle and wiped the residue off it, then put a drop of projector oil in each of the bearing assemblies and spun it around my finger enough to distribute it. I put it all back together again and while it did spin better, it still didn't spin near as freely as some of the new rollers in the parts cabinet. In a couple cases. the rollers actually felt a little more sluggish than they had before.

So my question: what's the best way to approximate frictionless rollser with these things? Better cleaner? Better lubricant? Both?

Second part: When I'm walking the booth and monitoring the eqipment, it's hard to see at a glance if the rollers are actually spinning. They almost always are, so I don't think the task warrants the bending down and squatting to get an up-close look that the job would otherwise require. I had considered putting a dot of whiteout on the oter flange of the rollers to make it immediately apparent if they are spinning but I wanted to see if any of you had done this or something similar and if it's a good idea?

Thanks in advance!

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-07-2006 09:27 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
What kind of platters are you using?

Don't use WD40 or oil. You will just gum them up more. Someone probably "lubricated" them in the past and that's why you are having problems now. I have found if absolutely nothing other than a dry wiping is done to the rollers on occasion, that they never have to be serviced. Your mileage may vary depending on your booth environment, film cleanliness and platter model though.

Christopher Meredith
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-07-2006 09:42 PM      Profile for Christopher Meredith   Author's Homepage   Email Christopher Meredith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We use Strong platters. You're right about the lubrication thing. There's a maintenance schedule hanging in the booth. It looks old and it suggests projector oil for the rollers.

There must be some lubricant that can free these things up. Same for the plastic pad rollers. Those things are especially important because we use microswitches. The film is always dragging on one or the other as the film wraps and the platter has to catch up.

Kevin Raisler
Film Handler

- posted 07-07-2006 10:17 PM      Profile for Kevin Raisler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This may sound Crazy but I use Zekote 2 (nuemade) on roller berings.. works good and does not gum up [Smile] just be careful this stuff causes your babys to look funny [sex]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-08-2006 02:22 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've dabbed a shot of Film-Guard on the rollers...pretty good stuff.. - monte

Bernard Tonks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-08-2006 08:52 AM      Profile for Bernard Tonks   Email Bernard Tonks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
I have found if absolutely nothing other than a dry wiping is done to the rollers on occasion, that they never have to be serviced.
As Brad recommends. Also if you coat over completely the axles with a soft lead pencil, the rollers will spin freely for a long time span.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-08-2006 09:16 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most of the strong platters use ballbearing rollers and some are open construction and do require some oil

Raphael Friedland
Film Handler

- posted 07-08-2006 10:09 AM      Profile for Raphael Friedland   Email Raphael Friedland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also if you coat over completely the axles with a soft lead pencil= molebiden-H from molycoat.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: