Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Xetron 5 tier platter: Can't figure out how to get the right part.

Author Topic: Xetron 5 tier platter: Can't figure out how to get the right part.
Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2006 02:02 PM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This may be bordering on innapropriate, but I could use some help figuring out how to acquire the correct part for a Xetron 5 tier platter system. I have the following information given to me by the theatre manager for the part:
OHMITE DIVIDOHM 210-100M-40 RESISTOR 100W / 500 OHMs

I asked Neumade for the part and they special ordered a resistor; however, when received, the resistor was not adjustable, it was a straight resistor.

When I do a search on 210-100M-40 or 210100M40, the part nomenclature suggests that this is a 40 Ohm resister (from the "40" in the part number.)

So it would seem that I would need a 210-100M-500 for a 500 ohm resistor, but no one carries these.

Any ideas anyone? These are very old platters.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-05-2006 07:39 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do these Neurotic platters have the electronic control board in the arm? If so you may want to look into getting the latest board revision from Makisoc Engineering. They actually work very reliably after installing the new boards.Just about all the other board versions will actually melt the enamel off of the power resistors.

Mark

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2006 02:22 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this an NXP or XNR system? One uses microswitch feed plates and a take-up "elevator" the other uses infra-red emitter/collector assemblies and has independent take-up for each tier.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 08-06-2006 05:32 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As Sean noted, is it an NXP or an XNR platter? The NXP platter normally did not have a 40 ohm resistor, but sometime in the late 1990's a vendor discontinued the motor used, and the value of the power resistor had to be changed.

The XNR platter did use a 500 ohm 100 watt resistor in the first versions (there were two versions, as far as I can tell.) This would be in pre-1982 platters.

I'm sorry you received the wrong part; documentation gets vague in the years prior to 1983 for the XNR platter, and many parts are now no longer avaiable. (The XNR platter was discontinued around 1988.) However, Neumade will get you the correct resistor. If you could look at one of the other resistors used in the same location just to verify the part number, we'll get the right part. Please return the wrong one. In the meantime, I will email you a newer version of the XNR manual (I update even older manuals when I find something I think should be included.) You are also welcome to call me at Neumade with questions.

Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2006 05:12 PM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This platter system uses:
* microswitch feed plates
* take-up "elevator"

I don't recall seeing any electronic control boards.
This platter does appear to be pre 1982
The resistor I need is a Divideohm 500 ohm 100 watt

Thanks for the offer John, I will give you a call.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: