Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » New 70mm Print of "West Side Story"!!! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: New 70mm Print of "West Side Story"!!!
Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2006 11:41 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just received word that Sony (who now owns the rights) has struck a new 70mm print of "West Side Story."

How many of you work at a theater or patronize a theater equipped at this moment to show 70mm six-track mag? What about 70mm-DTS?

|  IP: Logged

Brian D. Whitish
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2006 02:33 AM      Profile for Brian D. Whitish   Email Brian D. Whitish   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My theatre is 70mm mag ready in both houses. Last 70mm run for us was Hamlet.
Brian Whitish Guild 45th Seattle wa

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2006 06:07 AM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Temple Theatre, Saginaw MI ... has 6track w/CP 200 and DTS with the addition of the 70mm readers. This is a changeover house with Carbon light.

KEN

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2006 07:51 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wexner Center at Ohio State University

70mm ready with mag and DTS. New surround system.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-12-2006 08:06 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AFI/Silver runs 70mm in both Magnetic as well as DTS...currently running Lawrence of Arabia in 70mm DTS. (It can also run 35mm 4-track magnetic).

The Senator theatre in Baltimore, MD can run 70mm in both DTS and magentic.

Steve

Chad M Calpito
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2006 09:45 AM      Profile for Chad M Calpito   Author's Homepage   Email Chad M Calpito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In theatre #4, we have a 70mm Mag-Penthouse and the projector can be converted to run 70mm, including the platter system. The projector is the Century JJ Series. This is Pacific Theatres Grossmont Center Stadium 10.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-12-2006 11:44 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We two customers that between them have close 80 70mm capable houses between Utah and Wyoming, all DP-70's a couple pair of JJ's and one unfortunate Simplex 35/70. All are DTS and all that some of them would need would be a plate and a lens for that format. In addition Larry Miller Theaters also has 8 houses that are DP-70 equipped.

Mark

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-12-2006 01:22 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
In addition Larry Miller Theaters also has 8 houses that are DP-70 equipped.
... has those 8 houses ever ran 70mm AND do they know how to run 70mm?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-12-2006 02:50 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I almost forgot the project I'm currenty working on...the NCTA screening room has been 70mm capable and will continue to be so in their new facility later this year...a pair of Kinoton DP75s. 70mm magnetic (and 4-track magnetic) capable and THX certified.

The AFI/Silver is also THX certified.

I should also note that the AFI, NCTA and Senator all have 5-screen channels for the proper replay of "Todd Ao" mixes. The AFI's CP200 has separate formats for DTS 5.1 and 6.0 mixes.

Mark...how many of your DP70s have their 70mm sprockets? Are all of the gate parts with matching serial numbers also on hand for all of them?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-12-2006 03:10 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
Mark...how many of your DP70s have their 70mm sprockets? Are all of the gate parts with matching serial numbers also on hand for all of them?

All of them have 70mm sprockets but may not all be running with them. We have many boxes of combo sprockets at CLACO and changing them is a huge 15 min ordeal . Yes to the second part, there are a number of locations that do run 70mm occasionally and the gate kits are kept at those particluluar theater chain's offices.

There has been some long held fallicy that each gate casting was matched up to a particluluar projector casting and that is a bunch of bull crap. Only after X gate is set up to a particuluar serial number machine does it matter.

Over half of them are also set up for internal DTS reader in place of the old penthouse and the 70mm reader is directly interchangable with the 25mm reader. That makes reading TC a whiole lot more reliable.

Any of these DP-70's could be set to run 70mm in about a hour or two. The biggest part is always filing the plate.
Mark

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-12-2006 03:28 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
There is no theater able to run 70mm properly in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. With that being said, I could set it up for either mag or dts at any of the Studio Movie Grill locations by temporarily swapping a Kinoton head for a Century JJ, among other things that need to be done. Overall it could all be done in one overnight. The amazing part about it though is that they have real projectionists working there so the print wouldn't get damaged. I'll bet in this day and age, many people have a 70mm projector and think they can just flip things around and thread 70mm through it just like they do with 35mm. WRONG!!!

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 08-12-2006 04:29 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad: you are sooooo right. In the distant past I had the "honor" of TAPping a Carmike 70mm house.

They had a 5 deck Potts platter (impossible to convert according to Potts)

No 70mm lens, but used the scope backup.

Had a 6 tr cluster worn into the plastic (not symmetrical)

No 70mm splicer

I was the bad guy for failing them!!!! Louis

That was the last job I ever did for Mr. Lucas!!

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2006 08:15 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
www.heightstheater.com - The Heights, Columbia Heights, MN. Norelco AAII's w/ CP-200

Willow Creek 12's #7 (Formerly #3) - Plymouth, MN. Simplex 35/65 w/ CP-200

The Mall of America AMC, when it was opened by General Cinema, had 70mm capability, but it probably got removed when the digital sound upgrade happened. If not, at least one big house would have a V8.

The Riverview Theater in Minneapolis has a Simplex 35/65, but only a CP-650, no mag preamps.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 08-12-2006 08:25 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Sony... has struck a new 70mm print of "West Side Story."

Okay, I'll ask the obvious question:

Why?

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 08-12-2006 09:53 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as I know, there are no screens set up for 570 or magnetic playback anywhere in 'Vegas. Lots o' stuff warehoused in town to do either though.

Guess I'll have to fly out to see WSS in 70mm...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: