Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Making New Parts For Older Projectors (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Making New Parts For Older Projectors
Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2006 01:16 AM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi All!

Knowing how scarce gears and what not are becomming for Standards, Supers, E-7s, etc rapid prototyping might be a good option for manufacturing new parts and gears.

In browsing through some model railroading web-sites I stumbled upon Pacific Locomotive Works www.pacificlocomotive.com who specialize in making wax investment patterns from 3-D Printer Rapid Prototyping Systems for the model hobby.

So, what it would take is for someone to compose an appropriate CAD 3-D Solid Model of the needed gear, then a rapid prototype wax model could be created and subsequently investment cast.

The nice thing about investment casting is that properly done, little to no secondary machining operations arre required.

This might be a good option considering the real pain in setting up specialized gear cutting machine tools.

Cheers

Kutler

|  IP: Logged

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 10-17-2006 08:53 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why go through the trouble and expense to keep clunkers running, when there are plenty of good late-model machines just sitting around at any Carmike theatre? [Smile]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-17-2006 09:07 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tim Reed
Why go through the trouble and expense to keep clunkers running, when there are plenty of good late-model machines just sitting around at any Carmike theatre?

Tim,

If you go to Carmikes web site and read the Christie/AIX contract you will discover that Christie has actually had to buy 1000 projectors from Carmike as part of "the deal". So you
are actually VERY unlikely to find any projectors sitting at a Carmike Theater.

Some of those clunkers are far better than alot of the new stuff being made today.

Producing parts for older projectors is only profitable if there are enough of those older projectors still around. The close to 100 DP-70's that I maintain are a good example of having enough machines around to have our own parts made. 35mm Sprockets, gate bands, lateral guides, curved runners, even the xenon lamphouse table are all new parts that we had made and keep in stock.

Mark

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2006 02:10 PM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also made some spare parts which I can't find in specialized shop's. But sometimes that in expensive because from bad part a new one must be created, and specially if is only just one or two spares needed!

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2006 10:09 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tim

You need to really explain your assessment of older Simplexes. Performance wise they'll beat the [bs] out of most of the stuff built today. And those older Simplexes werenoted for rock steady images that would put Christie and others to shame!

The only thing about those older Simplexes is that they are meant to be run by experienced, professional projectionists. Older Simplexes would be destroyed in a heartbeat if left in the hands of todays popcorn/concession "shredders".

Kutler

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-17-2006 11:42 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Will Kutler
Performance wise they'll beat the out of most of the stuff built today.
Will, I couldn't agree more! All the parts in those old machines also last longer. We have at least a dozen sites relying on Supers and E-7's that are run by popcorn shredders and they have absolutely no trouble with them. The fact that all thee old clunkers as some around here call em have made it this far in life speaks volumes about how good they actually are.

Mark

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 10-18-2006 02:36 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Mark and Will, I disagree. It's NOT worth ANY $$$ investment to "make" rare parts to support those obsolete POSs.

With the wave of change to "TV" (D-Cinema) in commercial theatres in MOST of the world, there will be a surplus of 35mm mechanical projectors that will hauled off to the junk yard, traded-in for credit towards TV projectors, and/or picked up very cheaply by die-hard "film collectors" for their personal use...or sold to 3rd-world countries that STILL use film.

Bottom Line: Mark, even your prized DP-70's WILL be junked! Sad, I know.

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2006 04:03 AM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Phil Hill
even your prized DP-70's WILL be junked! Sad, I know.
This is coming in nearly future, sadly.... [Frown]

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 10-18-2006 08:23 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phil, you are missing the point. Supers and E-7's = job security for Mark [Big Grin] I trained on a Super when I was a teenager. I own one of the "rescued" heads, which sits on the shop floor so my shipping guy can trip over it weekly and cuss at it [Razz] RIP

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-18-2006 08:57 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I absolutely agree that its not worth producing any Super or E-7 parts. Its a different case for the DP-70's though, we have to many to maintain not to have parts on the shelf. There are still enough NOS Simplex parts still on dealers shelves that if one scrounges one can find the part... usually with in an hour or two. I agree Digital is comming fast and I probably more than any here have already embraced it... I look foreword to not having to deal with oily messy projectors in the very near future.

Mark

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 10-18-2006 09:10 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So when do you predict that 35mm film will die in North America? Specifically when will new "films" no longer be available as a film print here?
Much like with digital TV broadcasting, the old system has to have an expiry date. Keeping print factories and film exchanges open to serve the holdouts who won't or can't convert to a video system makes no sense.
Charging what it actually costs to support them has same effect as shutting down the infrastructure - the uncompetitive ones will close and the rest will be forced to convert.
And Mark et al (me too!) will be in the same position as the horse dung sweepers after cars and trucks replaced the horses.
A good time to be in the scrap metal business?

<edit> Rereading I see Mark has embraced the future, so he is a bad example for the horse dung analogy. Apologies.

Floyd Justin Newton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2006 09:25 AM      Profile for Floyd Justin Newton   Email Floyd Justin Newton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave--

In answer to your question... DCinema will here before you and
I are 'Pushing Up Dasies'. This whole thing is driven by GREED ! Now is the time to open up a scrap yard! [Smile]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-18-2006 07:08 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
,..by the time 35mm completely dies for the cinema business, we'll be all pushing up dandilions for digital driven lawnmowers to mow down operated by the slave robots for the digital infected generations ahead of us have whom have finally invented and NEARLY perfected such a microcosm society...

In the meantime - Mark,I and others are well secured in taking care of film projectors and sound systems.

-Monte

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 10-18-2006 07:15 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
YA know, Monte, at least Mark has a handle on, and is preparing for the future unlike many others here and in "the biz"... [Big Grin]

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 10-18-2006 07:18 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
So you are actually VERY unlikely to find any projectors sitting at a Carmike Theater.

There are 16 here in Allentown, in the theatre I service, just sitting around the booth (well, 4 are still in occasional operation, in tandem with DC machines, but you get the idea). And 8 more coming in Reading, in just a few weeks.
You need to really explain your assessment of older Simplexes.
Older Simplexes would be destroyed in a heartbeat if left in the hands of todays popcorn/concession "shredders".

Will, that is precisely my point. [Smile] I've always been practical and a realist. Most existing installations of Supers that I've encountered in the last 10-15 years have declined to the point where "clunkers" is the operative term. [Wink] As you know, real projectionists are few and far between these days.

Engineered better? I never said they weren't. [Wink]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: