Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Cp-200 audio drop-outs, help please

Author Topic: Cp-200 audio drop-outs, help please
Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2006 03:25 PM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been having troubles with my Cp-200, actually, it's done this about 40% of the time whenever I use it, but almost ALWAYS when I have guests over to watch a show, of course.

After 30 minutes to an hour of being turned on, all of the sudden the audio will simply shut off. I've had this happen while running formats: 60, 01,02, 04. I've tried punching in different format buttons to get it to start up again but that never works. I have to turn the unit off, then power it back on to get the audio working again. When this happens, all of the LEDS on the power supply as well as the other parts of the unit remain lit. Also, when the audio drops out, ALL CHANNELS drop out at the same time, which rules out a problem with my amps.

Any ideas as to what is turning off the output to my amps? The unit works very well otherwise.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-10-2006 03:50 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check the power supply first. Monitor each voltage and see if one is dropping out when the unit fails. Power supply problems are the most common on 200's.

Mark

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-10-2006 09:23 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, definately check the power supply caps inside...tighten the screws on the caps (if you are handy with a solderning iron, consider changing the caps to PCB types and solder them to rid yourself of that potential problem for good.

A potential problem is the relay inside the PS1B that provides the "delayed" 24V rail...if the relay has an issue or bad contact, it could be your culprit.

Next, check the ribbon cables...ALL OF THEM...remove and reseat...don't forget the ones in the control unit. The Control unit contain the often overlooked "Bypass Relays". If they loose their voltage, then you will be in bypass.

Oh and check the power supply cables...make sure they are securly in. But first unplug them and verify that none of the pins are pushed in...I've seen that.

Steve

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-24-2006 01:41 AM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Update:

The unit finally failed again so I could measure the power supply output. After it failed, all voltage levels showed up normal.
Funny thing, when the unit failed and went silent the voltage still read fine across all points; I turned the power supply off, and as it was powering down the music suddenly came on and faded out as the power supply shut off.

After this occured, I had to restart the unit TWICE because each time it powered up(and the voltages were normal) but it wasn't giving any output to my amps.

[Confused]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-24-2006 10:20 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check the fader control line voltage that goes to both 117(517) fader cards..... Note what it is normally at a normal volume setting and then see if it changes when the unit acts up.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: