Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Focus Issue With A Kinoton FP-23

Author Topic: Focus Issue With A Kinoton FP-23
Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-16-2006 12:21 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a focus issue with a Kinoton FP-23. It seems that the right side of the picture is not in focus when the left & center is. It gets worse, the further to the right you look. It is not significantly out of focus, and I can usually get a compromise focus that is livable, but not as razor sharp as it should be. This is not a new problem, and I recently replaced the skate and runners which had no effect on the problem.

Most likely, either the film gate or the manually torret is slightly out of alignment, but there does not appear to be an adjustment for either.

Looking for suggestions.

|  IP: Logged

Brian Guckian
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2006 09:56 AM      Profile for Brian Guckian   Email Brian Guckian   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It could be misalignment of the lens sleeve in the turret. As you know, the lens sleeves can "float" up-down and left-right once the screws locking them to the face of the turret are slackened off.

If the lens is way off-centre, depending on how the other lenses are lined up, then this could be the reason.

The other thing to look for is how the lens is sitting in the barrel. If the lens body is forward in the barrel, it's possible that one of the locking thumbscrews isn't gripping it properly or is pushing the lens slightly out of true. Or, the lens just isn't sitting exactly straight within the sleeve.

Also, if the ceramic discs in the gate that apply lateral tension are locked up, worn or misaligned that could also account for focus problems.

Hope this helps.

John Anastasio
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2006 04:20 PM      Profile for John Anastasio   Author's Homepage   Email John Anastasio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had the same exact problem with my Christie, Mitch...and it was the lens that was out of alignment. In my case, it was caused by the entire turret being allowed to close too far by the metallic stop designed to prevent that. A quick turn of the locking nut to readjust it and the focus was clear over the entire screen.

Robert John Jeromson
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2006 06:14 PM      Profile for Robert John Jeromson   Email Robert John Jeromson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have had issues in the past with focus variation between the top and bottom of the screen with the lens just slightly out of alignment.

I suggests you start there and also with the lens barrel, though the can be really fiddly to get into the right place. I stongly suggest using an RP-40 test film.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: