Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Super Platter / Potts Motor

Author Topic: Super Platter / Potts Motor
Brian DeCiancio
Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2006 10:29 AM      Profile for Brian DeCiancio   Author's Homepage   Email Brian DeCiancio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have scoured the archives here but cannot find a reference to this problem.

I work with "stupid" platters and one motor that was supposedly fixed will not turn off completely in the feed out position. It works fine taking up.

When the switch is activated to feed film, it speeds up like normal. But when the switch is not activated, it continuously "drifts", turning slowly, but never stops.

It is definitely the motor because it does the same thing on other decks.

What is bad? The feed out side resistor or the diode, or something else?

|  IP: Logged

Scott Hicks
Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2006 06:56 PM      Profile for Scott Hicks   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Hicks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The older Super Platter motors have two 25 watt resistors - a 2 ohm and a 10 ohm. If you build up a feature in the "take-up" mode by mistake, the 10 ohm resistor melts. It's possible that the resistor was replaced with a smaller value, which would cause the platter creeping you describe. Measure resistance across the "feed" and "take-up" switch posts (with the motor unplugged) - if you read less than 10 ohms, replace the resistor with the correct value.

Brian DeCiancio
Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2006 04:03 PM      Profile for Brian DeCiancio   Author's Homepage   Email Brian DeCiancio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, I'll try that.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: