Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DTS Reader voltage question

Author Topic: DTS Reader voltage question
Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-23-2006 08:32 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know the DTS reader voltage should be at 4 volts. I assume thats with the projector not running and no film present. I was wondering what the reading should be with film running? The reason I ask is we have several older readers that read in the area of 2 volts, but when film is running, they drop to about .9 volts. Is that normal? Is that acceptable? We haven't had any problems, but these readings made me wonder if we might start getting drop outs. all readers have the voltage maxed out.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-23-2006 08:46 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whereas you are now reading a modulated signal...your volt meter, if set to DC as before, will at best be reading the average DC offset.

To read the level with the film running you will need an O'Scope.

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-23-2006 10:46 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...and what should that read?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-24-2006 10:17 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
About like this...
 -

Don Sneed
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-24-2006 10:37 PM      Profile for Don Sneed   Author's Homepage   Email Don Sneed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have seen these readers go down .5 volts on as DTS-6D player & still reads with no problems, I make it a habit to change the reader at 1.2vdc, to answer your question about .9vdc with film, I once got in a hurry & checked two machines with film & read the same thing as you are, thinking I had bad readers, than realize...hey I forgot to take out the film, then I read 3+ volts, & didn't have a problem...with film in the reader, .9volts plus is normal...for the past few years on my service calls I keep a record of the DTS reader voltage for that theatre, I found the readers is dropping about .8 volts per year, once it gets down to 1.2 volts I change the reader, I have seen .5 volts maxed out many times & still reading with no problem....

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-25-2006 08:57 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Don Sneed
I have seen .5 volts maxed out many times & still reading with no problem....

Can't say I've seen any read very reliably at that level. When things go below about 1.8 to 2 volts it seems to get iffy and some will read and some won't. Provided the drum is not excessively worn we replace our own LED's and save the customer alot of $$. Our LED's also have a much lower fade rate than the typical DTS LED seems to have.

Mark

Don Sneed
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-27-2006 04:21 PM      Profile for Don Sneed   Author's Homepage   Email Don Sneed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, here is a good example, I just finish a PM service call in Oklahoma, I found (2) DTS readers, (1) on a DTS-6AD & (1) on a DTS-6D, both readers was at .8 volts, no drop outs, no LED blinking, no problem, I did changed the two readers with new DTS readers...this is not the first time seen this...Lucky Maybe ??

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-27-2006 05:00 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
.8V with the film out? I've never been that lucky...by about 2V things get dicey for me.

Steve

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-27-2006 06:01 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Don Sneed
Lucky Maybe ??

If thats with film out then lucky definately!

Mark

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-27-2006 08:24 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I usualy find that around 1.8 - 2.3 volts it is iffy

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: