Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Abbott Theatre Equipment Bites the Dust (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Abbott Theatre Equipment Bites the Dust
Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 11-25-2006 10:42 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is old news, I realize, but I don't recall any mention here about it. FYI...

quote: from The Abbott website:
August 29, 2006

Customers and Creditors of

Abbott Theatre Equipment Co. Inc.

Abbott Theatre Equipment Co. Inc. (the "Company") has determined, upon careful consideration and with deep reluctance that it can no longer continue to operate and effective September 1, 2006 it will cease doing business. Despite its efforts and the infusion of additional dollars, the Company can no longer meet its obligations to its valuable customers and suppliers, many of whom we consider good friends.

The Company is liquidating its remaining assets and, after it has deducted the costs of liquidation, it will disburse the proceeds. Illinois law requires that the Company first pay the outstanding payroll claims. Therefore, the Company will first pay the outstanding payroll (and associated payroll taxes) and, to the extent there are any remaining funds, it will make a distribution to general unsecured creditors ("General Creditors") on a pro rata basis.

The Company takes this action reluctantly. However, it sees no alternative. The Company is required by law to treat each creditor in the manner indicated herein unless a creditor agrees to a worse treatment. The Debtor cannot or will not provide preferential treatment to any creditor unless directed to do so by a court of competent jurisdiction. If the creditors wish to examine the Company’s financial records, please contact the Company’s attorney, Mark E. Leipold at Gould & Ratner, 222 N. LaSalle St., Suite 800, Chicago, IL 60601 (312) 236-3003 to make arrangements to do so.

Sincerely,

Abbott Theatre Equipment Co. Inc.

|  IP: Logged

Fred Georges
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2006 11:56 AM      Profile for Fred Georges   Email Fred Georges   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found this out the Hard way when I drove over to pick up some PopCorn Pre-paks & found them (Music Swells) Gone With the Wind. I liked Connie (the owner) but, the place was pretty much a Morgue [sleep] for quite a while. In the back room, piled high on the floor, were Century Carcasses & parts, parts, parts. Probably wound up in the Dumpster. Pity.

Alex Grueneberg
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2006 03:15 PM      Profile for Alex Grueneberg   Author's Homepage   Email Alex Grueneberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats a real shame. The people at Abbott were always really nice to me. I stoped going there when I switched to Century which uses CPI [Frown] .

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 11-25-2006 03:33 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CPI: see listing under "deadbeats." Louis

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-25-2006 06:28 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That saddens me alot. It was Connie that actually gave me my start in this buisness a very long time ago when their tech Jim Reed retired... Connie was a really nice guy and his sister Elaine answered the phone there for at least several decades. They will be sorely missd.

Sadly, this is the way many, many dealers will end up if they don't keep competant techs on staff and be sure that they are keeping up with the comming state of the art.

Mark

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-25-2006 06:28 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BTW: Connie was a metalurgest by degree... I wonder how many of you knew that....

Louis, What does CPI have to do with this thread. Abbott was not what I would call a deadbeat company... they had been in buisness since the 30's. It is obvious that they lost the G. Kearsotes buisness when that chain was sold... It is what kept them alive for many years.

Mark

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2006 09:25 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
Sadly, this is the way many, many dealers will end up if they don't keep competant techs on staff and be sure that they are keeping up with the comming state of the art.

Apparently this is a really hard thing to do. I think the future will need people who have a good computer skills and good technical/mechanical skills. Finding someone with both is very hard. Considering it takes different hemispheres of the brain to be good at either.

Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2006 10:07 PM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, he said to see the deadbeats thread about CPI.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 11-26-2006 09:48 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to Don Marcus, Connie is currently employed by the Wolk Company in Chicago.

I know him and his wife best from a trip to Germany sponsored by Schneider Optical & Osram about 20 years ago. Louis

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-26-2006 10:11 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dennis Benjamin
Apparently this is a really hard thing to do. I think the future will need people who have a good computer skills and good technical/mechanical skills. Finding someone with both is very hard. Considering it takes different hemispheres of the brain to be good at either.

Absolutely agree Dennis. But if dealers and this industry in general want to stay operable then that is what it will take. Having technicians on staff that can adaquately handle all facets of the trade... not technicians that are good at just one or two areas is most important. To be a sucessful dealer these days the dealer HAS to be sure his techs are adaquately trained in all facets or even trainable at all for that matter. Having people on staff that are not even trainable or people that coulld care less about one or two aspects of the industry, employees that are not willing to do an equal share of the work... all this is what will lead to the eventual demise of that dealer.

I think most of us are aware of the CPI problem.

Am glad to hear that Connie is still in the industry!!

Mark

Joel N. Weber II
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-29-2006 01:36 AM      Profile for Joel N. Weber II   Email Joel N. Weber II   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dennis Benjamin
I think the future will need people who have a good computer skills and good technical/mechanical skills. Finding someone with both is very hard.
Is there really a requirement for both in a single person, though? Is it really a problem if the technician who can fix a software problem on the [dlp] server isn't same person you go to when you need an intermittent on a film projector rebuilt?

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 11-29-2006 05:06 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes; travel time is the enemy. Sending two people out doubles the bill. Louis

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-29-2006 09:01 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser
Yes; travel time is the enemy. Sending two people out doubles the bill. Louis

Excactly! I know of one shop that is set up like this now.... Some of the techs are good at sound and some are good at mechanics... a buisness run this way is good for nothing in reality except slapping the customer with a larger bill which he will ultimately catch onto. I can see this buisness failing within several years.

Mark

Paul Goulet
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-29-2006 12:16 PM      Profile for Paul Goulet   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Goulet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser
According to Don Marcus, Connie is currently employed by the Wolk Company in Chicago.
I know Charlie Wolk retired but does anyone see him at the Trade Shows? Anyone have an address for him?

Paul Goulet

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-29-2006 10:29 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Charlie has been at Showest just about every year. LAst year I believe he was accompanied by his daughter. HE can often be found hanging around the Coke booth.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: