Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Reflecting surface falling off from mirror - Bad mirror?

Author Topic: Reflecting surface falling off from mirror - Bad mirror?
Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-29-2006 04:02 PM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I installed new mirror in lamp house with Meopta 380mm diameter mirror and XBO2500 i vertical position. After 15-20 min of working I notticed that about of couple of centimeters silver reflecting surface was gone from mirror, it was fall of easily and after next 20 minutes of working about 30% of mirror was damaged.....lamp house has small mirror as well and cooling fans! I spoked with dealer who sold me this and he told that may bee i miss aligned small mirror (so the light is striking the big mirror - but If I miss aligned the I think less light will strike big mirror than was aligned?) but everything is properly aligned because on another projector is same XBO, with same mirror, lamp house, fans.....and everything is OK! And in all places i worked with this mirrors I newer had problems.

This mirror isn't produced anymore and I think this one is made in 1986....so maybe after long storing time this could happen?

Opinions, ideas.....????

|  IP: Logged

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-29-2006 04:56 PM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think its time to get it resurfaced, If its not a kinoton style of mirror which is very different, a regular mirror shop might be a good place to ask where to get it done, only if you have a spare, otherwise a new one is needed.

Personally I am confused by your suppliers comments as I personally have never seen misalignment do this. mirrors do wear out over time due to heat ect.

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-29-2006 06:13 PM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Cameron Glendinning
Personally I am confused by your suppliers comments as I personally have never seen misalignment do this. mirrors do wear out over time due to heat ect.
Not only You are confused with it.....

Jonathan Bodge
Film Handler

- posted 11-29-2006 06:43 PM      Profile for Jonathan Bodge   Email Jonathan Bodge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi there Marin, Question, how come the original mirror was replaced? Also, if the mirror (which isn't cheap) has a manufacturing (coating) defect do you really think the dealer would admit it? I have collectors (mirrors) in the field, same brand, some flake (over 5 years) and some don't. Your situation seems unusual.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 11-29-2006 08:14 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jonathan; it really isn't up to the dealer. With single digit markups, the dealer can't afford to "eat" anything that expensive and the factories usually don't cover that problem after a certain time....30,60,90 days. This problem is made worse if your dealer actually stocks parts; they may have been on the shelf for months or a year. Louis

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-30-2006 07:00 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A bi mirror system lamp focus is very critical
The small auxilary front mirror must produce a inverted image f the arc inside the electrode gap in the same exact plane (the small aux mirror is a spherical curve compared to the main reflector being elipical)
If it is focused so the image is on the electrodes they will be burned off faster than one blinks
If focused onto the main reflector it will scale

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: