Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Film Guard questions - media pads and application (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Film Guard questions - media pads and application
Darren Michael Nemeth
Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2006 01:05 PM      Profile for Darren Michael Nemeth   Author's Homepage   Email Darren Michael Nemeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am looking for a consensous of first hand knowledge on Media Pads and Film Guard.

Going to order a gallon of Film Gaurd and 2 media pads probably by Monday.

Media Pads - are they good for one or two cleanings or can you put them in the washing machine and reuse over and over? If resuable, what is the best method of washing them, in your experience. Hand wash and hang dry or machine?

Film Guard - I want to despense cleaner from a "solvent safe" plastic hand sprayer to media pads or hand cloth. However, I already have Film Renew in one of these and it has deterioirated two of the pumps innards to the point where they won't work. Can't spray any more unless I find another "solvent safe" pump to put on the bottle.

Will Film Guard ruin these, too? If so, what do you used to despense the "right ammount" onto your cloth or Film Tech Media Pads?

The vast majority of film I have is 1920s diacetate, nitrate and there are some triacetate also. None of which has ever been cleaned or treated. (!!!)

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-28-2006 01:19 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The vast majority of film I have is 1920s diacetate, nitrate and there are some triacetate also. None of which has ever been cleaned or treated. (!!!)

FG works great with all film stock of nitrate, acetate and polyester - and even with 16mm and 8mm films as well..

..does great in slicking down and removing hardened gelatin from gate rails-shoot a bit on a rag and wipe the rails down.

You'll find that FG does quite a lot besides just cleaning and treating film. You'll love the stuff.

-Monte

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-28-2006 02:59 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
You won't need a gallon. Just a normal quart kit will clean far more film than a gallon of anything else. Remember, it takes only about an ounce to properly clean a 2 hour 35mm feature.

FilmGuard already comes in a suitable spray bottle. You won't need any other container. The ideal method of application is to use a Kelmar web film cleaner, although many people do clean by hand, just remember the rag only needs to be barely damp, not wet or you will end up with a film so slick it will literally jump through the projector since there will be no friction to hold the image steady.

The media pads are designed to be used with the Kelmar film cleaner. Without the cleaner, the pads won't do you much good unless you want to try hand cleaning with them. I've never tried that personally. They cannot be rewashed, but the average theater reuses the pads for about 35 passes before throwing them away. There are 8 sets of pads per box at approximately 16.5 feet in length.

If you desire to clean a film with both of those products, clean with FilmRenew first, then apply FilmGuard last before projection.

Darren Michael Nemeth
Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2006 04:39 PM      Profile for Darren Michael Nemeth   Author's Homepage   Email Darren Michael Nemeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the reply. [Smile]

I have one of those Universal Film Cleaner devises sold by eBayer "kinemaman" from time to time. Looks almost like a Kelmar.

I figure I can at least McGyver the pad rolls to work with it.

Will need more than a quart, too, because nearly all the triacetate has very early stages of VS and all will have to be soaked.

Some of the 1920s stuff has slight water damage in spots. I am afraid emulsion may lift if in contact with liquid. Is Film Guard safe in this application?

What about the emulsion lift in spots with early stages of nitrate decomp?

Nearly all my pre 1930s prints are very dusty and dirty. None will ever be projected, either. [Frown]

WIll order tomorrow. Thanks! [Smile]

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-28-2006 08:45 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The media pads do work for hand cleaning. Just cut them up into small strips, dampen with FG, and then rewind the film through them. I've done this before and it works fine.

The Kelmar cleaner works better and provides more even application, but isn't absolutely necessary to use the product.

I have used FG on early diacetate 16mm prints and it works well. Maybe someone else has tried it on nitrate.

Darren Michael Nemeth
Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2006 08:53 PM      Profile for Darren Michael Nemeth   Author's Homepage   Email Darren Michael Nemeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What about spots where the emulsion has lifted from the stock?

Will Film Guard be okay or smear these sections off?

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-29-2006 03:04 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The sad thing about VS is that once the degrading begins, it's irreversable due to the beginning decomposition of the acetate stock when moisture mixes with the acetate ion in the celluose to create acetic acid-hence the "vinegar syndrome".

Only way to slow down VS is to have the prints well ventilated so air can move around. But if the containers are sealed, put those silca gel packets, or those KODAK molecular sieves in the containers to absorb moisture.

quote: Darren Michael Nemeth
Some of the 1920s stuff has slight water damage in spots. I am afraid emulsion may lift if in contact with liquid. Is Film Guard safe in this application?

What about the emulsion lift in spots with early stages of nitrate decomp?

Nearly all my pre 1930s prints are very dusty and dirty.

Film-Guard is just that - to 'guard' the prints for preservation and longetivity purposes (and you don't need to soak the film either-just a nice thin coating will work and will not harm any form of emulsion layers. Also, you'll be amazed on how it will clean those dusty and dirty prints with a couple of passes using FG. - which would make them runnable again.

Here, do your reading assignment for the day on the info on Film-Tech and you'll find some interesting information on this product - and good luck.

-Monte

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-29-2006 04:47 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
You will find FilmGuard is incredible with water damaged film, provided you apply it liberally to the sides BEFORE you unwind it. Once water damaged film is unwound, it's pretty much over.

Once you get the kit if you have any questions feel free to email me. There is no need to submerge the film in FilmGuard. If you do, the film is probably going to be so slick when you pull the film out you will spend a great deal of time wiping the film with dry cloths. Remember, this is a VERY slow evaporating cleaner and about 1 ounce is enough to properly clean a 2 hour 35mm movie. Although I have heard of people who have done it with success, submerging is something I have never bothered trying because I haven't had a print bad enough to ever bother with it. That would be quite the extreme application...but a quick dip in and out of a container of FG just might be ideal for your very old water damaged film. There wouldn't be any need to leave it in there for any length of time though. Just dip it in and remove it a minute later, then give it say an hour to let it totally soak in and then slowly unwind the reel.

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-29-2006 08:57 AM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
the average theater reuses the pads for about 35 passes before throwing them away.
Hmm, and I've been tossing them after 1 pass, on each side. Total of 6 films cleaned. If this is the case, next year's box should last a good while. Yeah, I'll be changing to a new box of pads on the new year. And a new bottle FG if timing works out right. Good tip on the water damag bit, I have some film that came in to my possession because it's water damaged, but it hasn't been unrolled yet, so maybe I'll try a lil FG on its edges.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-29-2006 02:13 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
For water damage you will need to apply FG liberally to the top edge with the film roll laying horizontal, as in sopping wet and let gravity pull it in, then flip the reel and repeat before unrolling.

It is also recommended if the water damage is bad to apply FG between rewinds as you are unrolling it too.

In the instance of a platter print with a roof leak and a rainstorm, clamp the print and flip it upside down. Apply liberally (spray FG onto a folded up paper towel and wipe so the top is very wet), let it sit for several minutes, flip the print back, wet down the top edge, then as it is paying out to the projector make sure you have a freshly saturated online cleaner. I've saved a couple of dozen prints that would've been junk this way due to roof leaks.

Dave Ritchie
Film Handler

- posted 12-29-2006 02:43 PM      Profile for Dave Ritchie   Email Dave Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was hoping to buy a media cleaner for my screening room but this is just not possible on my budget at this time- if i apply film guard by hand how affective is this and what is the best way to apply it?

[ 12-29-2006, 04:51 PM: Message edited by: Adam Martin ]

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-29-2006 07:04 PM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave, get a web style, like a Kelmar, cleaner, not PTC or PTR style cleaners. The media used in the PTR is reusable after a simple washing, but it doesn't outweigh it's shortcomings.

I have used both types, and despite some minor issues with our own cleaner (missing parts), I am much more pleased with our Kelmar than the PTC cleaner. Not to say you can't find a similar cleaner by another brand, that's just what we have. We also use filmguard here, which I have no complaints about. The media we have now is filmtech media, which works great, but the plastic spools that it comes on don't want to fit over the rubber piece on the rewind shafts on the cleaner, though ours may be swollen from age. (BTW, anyone know where I can get the replacement rubber bushings at?) I prefer the cardboard spools that came with the previous brand of media, it fits better.

Ron Curran
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-29-2006 09:34 PM      Profile for Ron Curran   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Curran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I started off using Filmtech media pads for a single pass. Then this site told me that I could turn them around. Then others told me that I could run them several times. Then it was revealed that they could be cut in half.

If these tips continue, they may outlast film itself.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-30-2006 02:07 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..Same as what I would do - cut down media to fit the film being cleaned and would turn the media around to use the other side. Also, if the media wasn't that all dirty, I would use it over for a few times.

Yea,PTR units.. - does exactly what the term stand for: Transfers Particles from one end of the print to the other end.

..may work for IMAX prints, but doesn't cut it for standard prints.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2006 03:55 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am the only operator at my theatre that is allowed to handle the film cleaning equipment due to the screw-ups of others!

We have 2 Kelmar cleaners, and use the F-T media rolls with the FilmGuard. I usually clean each print twice. Once in awhile, 3 times.

Our presentation is absolutely dirt and scratch free. A little FG goes a long way. You really dont need a gallon!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: