Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Smart Dual 18 Subwoofer?

Author Topic: Smart Dual 18 Subwoofer?
Steven J Hart
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2007 09:29 PM      Profile for Steven J Hart   Author's Homepage   Email Steven J Hart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are any of you familiar with Subwoofers sold by Smart? I am looking to add a little more bottom to my theater's sound system, and was searching for some used JBL subs when I was offered a pair of used Smart dual 18" subs by a theater supply dealer. The dealer wasn't able to provide me with any specs apart from the cabinet dimensions. I have a strong feeling these might be something to stay away from, but the price is really good!

|  IP: Logged

Oscar Neundorfer
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2007 05:10 AM      Profile for Oscar Neundorfer   Author's Homepage   Email Oscar Neundorfer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steven,

I used to be chief engineer for SMART, and I can tell you that these subs are excellent and will kick some serious bass out that is clean and well defined. If they are in good condition, and the price is good, I would not hesitate to recommend them.

These were THX approved subs if that matters to you.

Oscar

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 01-09-2007 08:36 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice Subwoofer. Heavy cabinet of MDF construction which worked well with the "punch" of the output. We had one location that flooded under a screen with water up to the lower 1/3 of the speaker cones. Dried out, minor repair and the unit kept working until the closure of the site 5 years later.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 01-09-2007 09:13 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Remember to add baffles (wing walls) Louis

Steven J Hart
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2007 02:16 PM      Profile for Steven J Hart   Author's Homepage   Email Steven J Hart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oscar, would you have access to any specifications such as impedance, power handling, and driver manufacturer?
Steve

Oscar Neundorfer
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2007 03:05 PM      Profile for Oscar Neundorfer   Author's Homepage   Email Oscar Neundorfer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The impedance is 4 Ohms (2 each 8 Ohm drivers wired in parallel). The drivers were made by Fane in England, although at one point there were drivers made by another company (don't remember who) which were used for a short while due to supply problems. The drivers were rated at 400 Watts as I recall. They will handle more power than that easily. Don't underpower them. Put at least 400 Watts at 4 Ohms of amplifier capability on them, and you will be pleased.

As usual, as with any used equipment, I would want you to check them out thoroughly before purchase or at least get a money-back guarantee in case something is wrong with them.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-09-2007 07:19 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I installed lots of them back in the Midwest and its hard to beat them for what they cost. Cabinet construction is top notch.

Mark

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2007 09:11 PM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser
Remember to add baffles (wing walls) Louis

This makes a huge difference on both the quality and quantity of output. [thumbsup]
Just make them at least as solid and heavy as the box, crossbraced ect.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-09-2007 09:20 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They are a sub I have always been happy with

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: