Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » How to use digital soundtrack at a drive-in?

Author Topic: How to use digital soundtrack at a drive-in?
George May
Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2007 04:47 AM      Profile for George May   Author's Homepage   Email George May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I help run a mobile drive-in, with a Vic 18, Strong Ultra 80 and Dolby SR analog sound via a CP55. We feed the CP55 L&R preamp outputs to a broadcast band FM transmitter for the sound.

I've been approached by one or two potential clients, primarly interested in using my screen, who want to do 'all-digital' shows. They are offering to provide a hard drive source, a generic Show Store of some kind, and a digital projector. I know almost nothing about such devices.

My questions to you are:

1. Do Show Stores automatically/generally provide analog sound outputs?
2. Assuming yes, how do I produce the best two-channel L&R mix from these outputs? (I was planning to ditch the surrounds and the subwoofer feeds, feed C equally to the L and R channels and then add in L&R).
3. What should be the relative balance levels between L/R and C? How do I set that up?

Thanks.

[ 01-10-2007, 06:36 AM: Message edited by: George May ]

|  IP: Logged

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2007 05:36 AM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So far I have only used 2 digital servers. Both used stereo outputs which I placed into the analogue input of the processer to create a regular Dolby SR style surround sound.
I am only guessing but as a digital server is only a glorified PC, that you would be able to use a regular stereo output from the sound card or perhaps your choice of which sound card would be better for you.
Please note that I am no expert! but suspect its easier than you think.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 01-10-2007 06:38 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Digital servers vary almost continuously. Depends upon which one is sent.

Left goes hard left, right goes hard right, center to both. Surrounds COULD also go hard left and right, but at a reduced level.

The expert for this would have to be Jack O. at Rodeo drive in. Search under that; he has a really good web site. Louis

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: