Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Victoria 5 sound issues?

Author Topic: Victoria 5 sound issues?
Ron Davis
Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2007 09:00 AM      Profile for Ron Davis   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings all!

Let me start out by saying that I'm a complete newbie to all this, so be easy on me if I ask some blindingly obvious questions. [Smile]

I'm fairly new to the theater business and have recently taken over management of a small local theater. All 3 projectors are the same (the have labels that say VICTORIA 5 on them) but one of them is having sound issues.

The weird part is that it seems the spoken word is ok, but any music tracks are VERY distorted. I noticed that, down by the sound drum there is a lever that constantly bobs up and down and it coincides with the distortion. I propped it up so the film just passes thru the rollers and doesn't even touch them and that seems to have fixed it.

I'm sure its just a band-aid fix and would like to know if anyone has any experience with these projectors and maybe have run into this before? On a more general note, are there any maintenance documents out there that I could get ahold of? I'm sure I should be oiling something, but have no idea where to start.

Thanks much all!

-Ron

|  IP: Logged

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 01-10-2007 10:43 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would guess you have an out of round or stuck lay down roller (the one above the sound drum) or a dent in the sound drum.

There is also a dashpot (a shock absorber below the sound drum that requires fluid).

That will do for a start.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 01-10-2007 01:56 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The "brute force" roller on top of the sound drum may of never had the roller bearings oiled and may have developed a flat spot. The outside part of the drum has a cover plate with a center screw, remove to check if the outside endbell of the drum is properly square and seated on the shaft; this end is held on with three screws and a locator pin. The fit of the end bell is tight to the shaft and sometimes people do not reseat it properly or evenly tighten the screws. Finally bearings on the main shaft or someone may have dropped the sound drum endbell on the floor during as service check.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-10-2007 02:42 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
damping fluid is the most often culprit I have found or the set screw on the collar that sets the spring tension on the lay in roller has shifted

Ron Davis
Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2007 05:44 PM      Profile for Ron Davis   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent!! I'm not the most technical, so I'll have to give the machine a 'once over' to try to identify some of these parts, but atleast I know what I'm looking for.

As for the fluid, does it take any particular kind? Or will the same oil I use in the roller system work on the sound part? Its HIGHLY possible that this fluid is out because the oil level on the belt driven assembly was bone dry when I looked at it tonight!

Thanks gents! Next time you are in town, the pizza is on me [Smile]

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2007 06:36 PM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dash pot requires a special fluid, not a motor oil. It can be ordered in and is supplied by cinemacanicia who make the projector, genuine is good. It resembles baby oil, not projector oil.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-10-2007 06:41 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is a silicon damping fluid that is made for many dash pot applications

Ron Davis
Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2007 06:53 PM      Profile for Ron Davis   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to sound so new.. but, I've looked around the sound drum (big silver bell shaped gizmo) and cant see any kind of fluid indicator or even an input? We dont have a manual on the machines and I've not had much luck digging one up. Is there a standard place where I can check the level?

Thanks again guys!

-Ron

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 01-10-2007 07:10 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to the right of the sound drum you either have a little casting with a "tank" with a spring loaded assembly with two small rollers ( dashpot assembly ) that the film rides on top en route to the last film sprocket...or....a pair of rollers mounted on a spring loaded swivel bar ( economy flutter roller set ) which requires no damping fluid. If there is nothing but a flat spot on the projector casting with some threaded 4 or 5mm holes, then you do not have this "accessory" [Wink]
In emergency, for short term use, I have used castor oil available at most pharmacies on off beaten travels.....it doesn't cure the Cinemeccanica but the patient is able to give a presentable response. [Big Grin]

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 01-11-2007 07:13 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a picture of the sound drum for a V8, which (for this topic) is very close to a V5.

-

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: