Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Dolby Cat 701 roller and guide adjustment (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Dolby Cat 701 roller and guide adjustment
Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2007 06:36 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How are the rollers or guides adjusted for tension? I think our guides have too much tension on the film causing it to go into failure. I have looked at the manual, and see a couple arms inside the cat 701 unit that look like they can be adjusted, but I was wondering which screw to loosen for the adjustment, and do I have to adjust both arms, or just the one I suspect is causing the problem. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 02-01-2007 06:41 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You absolutely MUST have enough film tension to positively lock the film on the drum. With slippage you get faults and film damage. Louis

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2007 06:55 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there such a thing as too much tension? I noticed a film playing with an error rate that went from 5 to F or from 4 to F or from 7 to F, but when I lifted the upper arm, the error rate stayed around 4. It made me think that possibly there is too much tension on the film.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-01-2007 07:00 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank,
Assuming this is just a normal wear thing.... You either have a worn lateral guide roller(the one with flanges) or low video level... or both. A worn lateral guide roller is easy to spot... look for a raw alumnium edge...usually the inner edge opposite the sound track. It sticks out like a sore thumb. This allows film to weave back and forth sometimes going out of range of the CCD sensor... so when it drifts back in you get a pretty low reading and when it drifts out of range you get an "F". Simply installing a new roller brings them back spot on every time... at least when someone else hasn't tinkered with them. ALSO... If you remove the flanged lateral guide be sure not to loose the spring washer and spacer washer that are behind that inner bearing on the roller! They tend to stick to the bearing and then drop off on the floor.

Naughty Frank...! What ever you do don't mess with the tension or back side lateral guide adjustments. You'll have to return the reader you tinkered with to Dolby to have it properly re-set. Setup your at least 60mhz scope and laptop in the appropriate manner and diagnose it properly!!

Mark

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2007 07:53 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
Naughty Frank...! What ever you do don't mess with the tension or back side lateral guide adjustments.
I didn't. I looked at it, and thought I better ask before touching anything back there. i will look for the worn parts.

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2007 11:08 PM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
or low video level...
Every now and then you have to replace the bulb, has it been changed recently?

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2007 11:52 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The LED is new. There is no consistant error rate with this unit. It can play fine for a part of the movie, in the 3's or 4's, then all of the sudden goto F for no apparent reason. This has happened for several different movies we have had there.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-02-2007 09:13 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Setup your at least 60mhz scope and laptop in the appropriate manner and diagnose it properly!!

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-02-2007 09:54 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...Yeppers, like I gotta do with 14 CAT-70x units in my area - replace all 14 sets of rollers that I just received from Dolby.

Each of these units have badly worn upper lateral guide rollers with raw, sharp-edged metal flanges to where one can easily move the film across the drum to get a good error count and stop the "4 to F" readings.

If you remove the flanged lateral guide be sure not to loose the spring washer and spacer washer that are behind that inner bearing on the roller! They tend to stick to the bearing and then drop off on the floor.

...and make sure that you have the right sized snap ring pliers to take that snap ring off that holds all of this on that shaft...and be careful because those snap rings love to disappear when they fly off the tips of the pliers when not properly seated on the tips..

- Monte

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-04-2007 12:53 AM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How long is a set of these rollers supposed to last? Any clue as to how expensive a set of rollers are? also, I'm curious if the washers and end clips are something a hardware store might have? I think they were 1/4" washers? One flat, one curved and then the end clip.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-04-2007 03:33 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Frank Dubrois
How long is a set of these rollers supposed to last?
..it's all related to the user on how he takes care of things.

If a user doesn't use the proper gap space inbetween the two rollers and let the rollers run on to each other while the film is in motion for a week, it pretty well toast for these rollers.

Yet, what is good is that if the gap collapses like if a bad splice or something to let the film jump off of the large register sprocket, one just opens up the upper roller, pull on the film slightly to back the film one sprockettooth and then close the assembly,while the film is still in motion, this allows the proper roller gap to be reset. Done this trick many times.

Granted, when the film runs out of the assembly, the rollers do snap into each other, thus there is actually no total preventiveness in this snap closing technique..unless the user is right there when the film runs out to catch this assembly before they snapclose, then they can last quite the long time.

-Monte

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-07-2007 03:17 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
UPDATE: After doing a roller changeout on 14 readers, the error count drastically changed from between 7.5 and F, clear down to a good solid 5 on majority of some readers.

.. and I did get some 1.5's to a settled-in 3's on rare occasions with some other readers.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-07-2007 03:13 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats still pretty high if you ask me. 1. to 3. would be normal for new film with some running at 1's and 0's these days. I think you just need to fine tune your technique.

Mark

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-07-2007 09:20 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I do agree with you Mark, but when most of these houses run used film, one can wonder on how the condition of the prints.

thx-Monte

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2007 01:03 AM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
didnt fix the issue...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: