Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » RCA 9050 - late SH1000 lat guide roller retrofit (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: RCA 9050 - late SH1000 lat guide roller retrofit
Sean R. Custer
Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2007 02:48 PM      Profile for Sean R. Custer   Author's Homepage   Email Sean R. Custer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Curious to find out if anyone has met with success in retrofitting the Sh-1000 parts that are still available to RCA 9050s.

The point of this being:
that old 9050 metal roller long-since replaced with the early Sh-1000 felt roller (Sh-2043) which is seemingly unobtainable. This is the shouldered style.

I'd like to fit Sh-2050 felt roller (unshouldered) in the 9050, and am hoping to avoid having to swap the whole ass'y flange-flange w/ late model sh-1000 parts. Looks like at the very least i need a shaft & to fabricate some spacers; wondering what else.

thanks in advance for any thoughts

|  IP: Logged

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 02-11-2007 03:39 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bearings are the same. Shaft diameter is the same. I have had no problem with all parts from Wolk. Louis

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-11-2007 04:13 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Felt rollers are eons out of production unless you happen to have a N.O.S. part laying around. The only ones available are the rubber style...

Wolk has all the parts for both Simplex and RCA lateral guide roller assys. and remember the best roller is no roller at all. You can actually do without any roller in there but start up time is just longer... not really a problem though.

Mark

Sean R. Custer
Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2007 06:31 PM      Profile for Sean R. Custer   Author's Homepage   Email Sean R. Custer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the response,
Didn't think I could do the '5-star roller remove trick' since these don't have the variable tension roller. We're pretty much strictly stereo so I'm loathe to experiment; but if that's not the case...

I think we go thru LaVezzi; didn't know Wolk was still around. Used to have Brekerts so I'm sure we've done Wolk before.

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 12-19-2010 08:55 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 1407 days since the last post.

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2010 08:55 PM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to resurrect this thread but...
Mark,are you saying i could remove the dirt embedding rubber roller on my SH1000s and run fine without putting in the metal rollers which Joe Redifier explains in the tips section of the forum?

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-21-2010 12:17 AM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The thing is i am getting an a&b chain performed and would like to remove the rubber roller before this if it's feasible to do so!
The question was directed to Mark Gulbrandsen because of his comment above but if anyone else has knowledge of this...

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 12-21-2010 07:59 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My understanding is that this could only work on the 5 star. The 9030 and sh-1000 use the same style of arm, but the rest is different. I assume that will not work on them.

Louis

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-21-2010 11:40 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
It absolutely works on the 5 Star, as I've converted lots of them (I think I was the first). As far as the SH1000 type, I've only been told it won't work (I believe it was Gordon). I've never actually tried it.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-21-2010 12:53 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think it would work very well on the SH1000 because there is no tension applied to the film. The friction (dirt embedding) roller is what keeps the film steady by the scanner in that soundhead. You can get away with removing it on the 5-Star because the tension roller below keeps everything in check and sounding good.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-21-2010 01:59 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
However, even on a 5-star, it slows the ramp up speed for changeovers to the point of flutter at changeover.

If the drum on the Simplex was flat across so that at the guide roller could apply pressure to the edges of the film to the drum, this mod would work better.

-Steve

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-21-2010 03:45 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With the roller in place it takes a few seconds for the 5-star to settle. With the mod there is little to no bowing of the film between the drum and the tensioner no matter how you position the it (so long as it has some tension). Both completely settle just fine within 5 seconds.

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-21-2010 03:54 PM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wish it would work on the SH1000 [Frown]

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-21-2010 08:52 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It doesn't bow because it is slipping, not because it is up to speed.

-Steve

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-22-2010 12:13 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, thread one up on your next shift with the tension roller in the halfway position. Upon starting the projector it will bulge at the sound drum. Once you see the bulge start to retract you have hit speed.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: