Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Restoration Photos (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Restoration Photos
Dave Ritchie
Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2007 10:39 PM      Profile for Dave Ritchie   Email Dave Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been in the process of restoring a Ernemann Imperator and thought that I'd put some pics up in the hope that anyone else who has done any restoring would put some pics up to [Smile]

Here is a photo of the projector when i found it and one of where I'm upto

-

-

I'm stoked because i got the intermittent working today and it is moving as smooth as new,

There is still a long way till I'm finished but I'll put more pics up if anyone is interested.

I was not 100% sure where to put this post so if it needs moving go for it.

by the way if anyone has any spares for this and wants to donate them to a good cause let me know [beer]

[ 03-07-2007, 12:08 AM: Message edited by: Dave Ritchie ]

|  IP: Logged

Matthew Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2007 10:12 AM      Profile for Matthew Taylor   Email Matthew Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice job!

How did you get rid of the rust on all the sprockets and get 'em looking that shiny?

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2007 10:30 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Matthew Taylor
How did you get rid of the rust on all the sprockets and get 'em looking that shiny?
Chrome spray paint. "Because everything is chrome in the future".

Just kidding.
[Wink]

Dave Ritchie
Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2007 12:52 PM      Profile for Dave Ritchie   Email Dave Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Autosol polisher and very very fine wire wool and lots of time [Smile]

Bob Koch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2007 01:22 PM      Profile for Bob Koch   Email Bob Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know how old this Erneman is? When I was very young, about 1937 the Erneman was sold in the US as Fulco. Several of the old Golden State circuit theatres in the eastbay had them and also the old Camino Theater in San Rafael Ca had a pair.From what I remember they were a great projector with many innovations not yet seen on this side of the pond such as full oil bath simple dismantle procedures and real quiet running with beautiful machining. Remember about this time the only choices here were the Super Simplex and the model "F" Motiograph.

Dave Ritchie
Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2007 02:10 PM      Profile for Dave Ritchie   Email Dave Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been told that this was built in 1916, but it sounds like you are talking about the Ernemann II, They are a very nice machine, I'll take a photo of mine later today and post it

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 03-07-2007 02:58 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DAMN, DAVE!!! How freakin impressive is THAT?!! All I can say is, incredible and totally awesome. I have seen more than one of the institutions that I work for throw out equipment that is in MUCH better shape and which they claim is junk....even equipment that is in working order. I've had to fight to save a number of perfectly good items (like two working Strong Super Trouper followspots, if you can believe that).

I am going to print out both your pictures and shove them under the noses of any of these bureaucratic neanderthals (no offense to the cave men) when they are about to throw out salvagble equipment.

Dave, you are THE MAN! Many Hi Fives to you! Thanks for the inspiration. [beer]

Dave Ritchie
Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2007 03:20 PM      Profile for Dave Ritchie   Email Dave Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Frank most people i show just think I'm insane - but I'm dam well looking ford to the day i can run film with it, here is my Ernemann II it has been modified to run a rear drum shutter instead of the front blade.

-

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-07-2007 04:59 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great work you're doing! Hey, that looks like a Kalee 21 framing knob on the lower sprocket shaft...... Do you have a full view photo of that machine with the lampenhausen you could post??? Also, what type of sound reproducer is that... Klangfilm?

Mark

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-07-2007 05:17 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When he gets done with his Ernemann Imperator, this is what it will look like (if he has the lamphouse as well...)

-

-Monte

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 03-08-2007 03:03 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Beautiful! Absolutely beautiful. Good work!

Dave Ritchie
Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2007 08:06 PM      Profile for Dave Ritchie   Email Dave Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mark here is a full pic of my Ernemann II and yes you are right that is a framing knob of a kalee 21 (we have 2 kalee 21's where I work the new guys always put there hand in front of the w/s lens if they have to move the framing [Mad] )

-

The sound head was made here in New Zealand by De Forest Phonofilms
 -

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-08-2007 08:50 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats fine work Dave! That soundhead has similarities to the "Wiffle Tree" Eprad sound head of years ago. Thanks for posting the photos!

Mark

Chad M Calpito
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2007 11:08 PM      Profile for Chad M Calpito   Author's Homepage   Email Chad M Calpito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WOW, Dave, that is totally awesome. I am in awe as to how well of a job you are doing. [Big Grin]

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 03-08-2007 11:24 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave, I totally agree with the others here... GREAT work!

I envy your patience...something I don't have. I probably would have just spray-painted it all Krylon Machine Gray and called it "done!". [Wink] [Razz] [Eek!] [Big Grin]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: