Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Welder's inverters for lamphouses? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Welder's inverters for lamphouses?
Matthew Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2007 01:53 PM      Profile for Matthew Taylor   Email Matthew Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it possible to use welding PSU's on lamphouses? Looking at the specs of some of them, it looks like they can produce the current output required but I'm not sure whether the output would be smooth enough.

|  IP: Logged

William T. Parr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2007 02:07 PM      Profile for William T. Parr   Email William T. Parr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Matthew, It can be and has been done. We used a Miller's Welding unit as the power supply for a 3000W Peerless Mac Arc conversion at the Centre Theatre n Corpus Christi. Works very well.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-09-2007 03:10 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IN fact Imax uses Millers at almost all theor installations.... but.... with an extra box out in front that contains filtration and other stuff to mark the DC clean enough. Take a look at some of the Imax booth photos and you will see the Millers and Imax "box mod" that mounts in front.

Mark

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 03-09-2007 07:10 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
The box on the front of the Miller rectifiers in the Imax booths only provide easy-service-access for connections.

There is a circuit board added inside the main body behind the control panel to interface with the PLC so that there is data communication that allows for remote control, remote meter readings, and the ability to reduce power when the dowsers are closed.

Unless the theater provides some other external unit, there is no power conditioning on the GT systems. The SR system sort-of has conditioning, but it's more for providing emergency power to the control console and does not feed the rectifiers. Some theaters spend extra for an electronics-grade panel to supply the audio system.

See photos here and here.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 03-09-2007 07:24 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Assuming the "Standard" welding supply as implied, where does IMAX develop the boost voltage and place the Tesla coil, (and auto strike ckt) for the HV necessary to start the xenon arc?

The systems I've built for 15kW water-cooled lamps where specifically designed for the function and didn't use "arc welders"...I always thought that a bit cheesy for an otherwise good product!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-09-2007 07:30 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Somewhere I have the schematic of what they do to to those rectifiers that was sent by an anynoumous Imax tech years ago. It does include filtration and I believe the boost circuit as well. I will try to dig it up and send it to BRad. Its pretty interesting.

Phil,
Your 15kw switching rectifier bank design ALWAYS works like a champ and never gives any problems. Lamp life with it is exactly the same as it is with the modified Millers. Price out a Miller sometime as I once did to replace a single 7kw switcher on a Megasystems machine... they are dirt cheap even with the mods you have to do to them. If you call Miller and tell them Imax they know which ones are used.

Mark

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2007 09:23 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,
Was that at Jordan Commons?

I didn't do the install there, but I did replace the Strong power supply with an Irem

Rick

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 03-09-2007 09:35 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
The thing that always bothered me about an IREM is the LOUD vibration of the transformers AND the crappy HIGH DC ripple! I ALWAYS had to use isolation pads for mounting and the external choke to help eliminate the shitty ripple.

I cannot recommend them for anything other than a boat anchor.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 03-09-2007 09:43 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Phil Hill
I cannot recommend them for anything other than a boat anchor.
How 'bout as chocks? I'm always running out of chocks for my MD-83s these days... [Big Grin]

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 03-09-2007 09:51 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
hahahahahaha! Thanks for your comment, Paul. But I thought YOU would have said something about "shitty ripple"... you know like the wine... HA! [Wink]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-09-2007 10:07 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Richard Hamilton
Mark,
Was that at Jordan Commons?

Yea.

quote: Paul Mayer
How 'bout as chocks? I'm always running out of chocks for my MD-83s these days...

I agree with Phil... Irems are absolute crap! Paul... You could use em as chocks but your back wouod eventuially give out yankin em out from the tires with a rope attached..... [Eek!]

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 03-09-2007 10:14 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't an "inverter" convert DC to AC?

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 03-10-2007 02:59 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tim Reed
Doesn't an "inverter" convert DC to AC?
Yeah, that's where the Irems come in. They're sort of like a double conversion UPS.

Matthew Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2007 03:48 AM      Profile for Matthew Taylor   Email Matthew Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So if I got an 'off the shelf' welding psu, would it need modification to run a normal ....say...1600w lamphouse?

Robert Minichino
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2007 08:38 AM      Profile for Robert Minichino   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Minichino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Assuming it was up to supplying the current you need at 100% duty cycle, you'd also need a boost supply to generate a higher voltage for striking.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: