Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Pictures Philips Projectors (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Pictures Philips Projectors
Bastiaan Fleerkate
Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2007 08:27 PM      Profile for Bastiaan Fleerkate   Author's Homepage   Email Bastiaan Fleerkate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you have some pictures of Philips projectors please post them (if this is a problem you can send them to me. Just contact me via e-mail). I've worked with Philips FP-5 projectors (if I remember it correctly) and all I have is just a picture from video. I hope someone has worked with these vintage projectors. 5 years ago there were some working ones in Woerden (The Netherlands) and the build date was just after 1950 (that is what I call durable [thumbsup] , digital cinema...eat dirt!)

-

-
I need to know how the filmpath was. I now use Vic5 projectors so I just don't remember it correctly how this projector was threaded.

OW, mentioning booth sizes in the other thread. This projector and it's twin were in a booth not larger than 2 by 4 meters.

|  IP: Logged

Christos Mitsakis
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2007 09:48 AM      Profile for Christos Mitsakis   Email Christos Mitsakis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try this pages:
http://perso.orange.fr/projecteur.cinema/philips1.htm

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-26-2007 03:03 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think durable is understated for these projectors. They are certainly one of the very best projectors ever made. Phillips FP-5 series and Bauers are tops in my book. Too bad there were not more of these brought into the States. Thanks to Thomas Hauerslev and Sam Chavez I now own several Phillips FP-56. I will send you some pics of the intermittent and the gear side tommrrow.

Mark

Christos Mitsakis
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2007 03:37 PM      Profile for Christos Mitsakis   Email Christos Mitsakis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here you can download an incomplete manual of the FP56:

http://www.kinobauer.de/philips.html

C.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-26-2007 09:41 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here are a few shots of the internals.

DP-70 and FP-56 intermittents compared.....
 -

Film Side...

-

Motor Side. These are the direct drive version...

-

Emiel De Jong
Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2007 11:02 PM      Profile for Emiel De Jong   Email Emiel De Jong   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The projector pictured in the original post is a Philips IV:

-

And here is a nice early FP5:

-

Bastiaan Fleerkate
Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2007 05:03 AM      Profile for Bastiaan Fleerkate   Author's Homepage   Email Bastiaan Fleerkate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's nice to know it is a Philips FP-4 that I worked with. I didn't know this and I was informed wrong. I'm glad I posted the pictures...
I can post some more pictures in the picture warehouse of this cinema, but the pictures I send of the new theatre (AnnexCinema) are still not on the web site. [Frown]
Here is a link to the old cinema they stood in Cinematour City, Woerden it formerly was a stable for the horses that dragged the barges with cargo to and from Woerden. [Roll Eyes] ...*sigh*...the old days.... *sigh*
But I am deviating from the topic. Can anybody tell me how old these projectors are or in what period they were made. I think it is around 1950 but that can also be wrong...

By the way... Emiel, do you know where these projectors are still used in the Netherlands?

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 03-27-2007 09:16 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always dug that logo... [Wink]

Emiel De Jong
Film Handler

- posted 03-28-2007 05:53 AM      Profile for Emiel De Jong   Email Emiel De Jong   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess the Philips IV was made from 1938 till 1945; the FP5 "family" (FP5, FP6, FP7, FP56) from 1939 till far in the sixties. It is not easy to get exact info on this; as far as I know there is no such thing as a list of serialnumbers + dates for these machines. If anybody knows...
Some cinemas I know that still use FP5's: Biobest in Best, Filmhuis Schijndel; and I saw one last year, on a modified base, in use by the Stichting Openluchtbioscoop (open air cinema). There must be more; and of course many are in private use; a nice example you can see in the pictures-section of this site [Big Grin]

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 03-28-2007 09:24 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FP5 series is alive and well in some markets out of the USA. I have seen them with lens turret, new film trap reverse scan and laser sound kits as modifications.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 03-28-2007 10:56 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are many FP5 series in Brazil and surrounding areas, which is where I first saw them in person. They were running with platters and very quiet.

I make a red reader that fits both the DP70 and the FP5 series with exactly the same parts and this is compelling evidence of the exacting machine work over the years. Try that with Italian or even American projectors.

[ 03-29-2007, 12:20 AM: Message edited by: Sam D. Chavez ]

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-28-2007 11:36 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the American projector side...with Simplex you will probably do okay 99% of the time...there is that odd ball one that doesn't seem to align up like everything else.

Christie...I have to give them that...their stuff generally is spot on every time. I've changed out entire projectors and didn't have to align any thing when going from an original P-35 to a curved trap version....just moved the lens turret over with lenses in place an all was just as before...just with a curved trap.

Century...yeah right....no two of them are the same though that may have improved a great deal since Strong took them over. CE readers are almost essential for some Centurys since the machining for the solar cell may or may not place the LED in the correct place...some you have to shim but some are too far outboard...with the CE LED assembly one can slide the LED laterally to get it right.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-28-2007 12:14 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
On the American projector side...with Simplex you will probably do okay 99% of the time...there is that odd ball one that doesn't seem to align up like everything else.

I donno, I seem to have to overhaul ALOT of Simplex's... 2 last week alone for bearings. These two had only been running about 9 years. For some reason Strong likes to leave the shields in place so they don't get much oil through them over their life. Yes there are alot of Simplex's out here but there are also alot of weak spots in them. Shutter rear bearing gets zero oil, lower vert. shaft bearing too small for the job, leaky main castings, tiny intermittent gearing, poor quality die castings that stretch over the years, and a sprawling amount of versions of film gates/traps some of which Strong built but they know nothing about today and parts don't exist.

I agree with you 100% on the Christie... their tolerances are always spot on and parts interchangability takes on a new meaning... if only they had adaquate staffing there. The P-35 is still my projector of choice for plex's!! The other zero problem machine for us in plex's is the DP-70.

Mark

Bernard Tonks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-28-2007 01:01 PM      Profile for Bernard Tonks   Email Bernard Tonks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to like the Philips FP 7 enclosed projector, the quietest running machine I’ve ever heard. When these were installed in the very large projection room of the Granada, Kingston-upon-Thames in South London, all you heard was the Peerless Magnarc feed motor, and hardly the FP 7 projector running.
 -

(Picture by Harry Rigby CTA of the Granada, Rugby projection room 1957)

I’ve got to like the open Century with turret projectors since doing relief work. They are reliable and quiet running, and give a nice good steady picture.

Link to more Philips projectors and many other makes (translated)

Bastiaan Fleerkate
Film Handler

- posted 03-28-2007 08:47 PM      Profile for Bastiaan Fleerkate   Author's Homepage   Email Bastiaan Fleerkate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Vic5 projectors I work with now are also robust. If there is a problem it's probably the projectionist working with these projectors. The shutter blades are to small, but that is the only thing I can think of.
The FP-4's I worked with were not as quiet as the Vic5's I work with now. The first time I heard an Vic5 it was like a butterfly flying trough the air. Now that I am used to the sound the projectors aren't that quiet. It's now like a seagull flying [Big Grin]
The FP-4's were equipped with xenon lamp houses and I remember projector 1 didn't ever strike at once. When changing projectors during a movie this was somewhat annoying...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: