Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Mr. Bean as a projectionist (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Mr. Bean as a projectionist
Bastiaan Fleerkate
Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2007 08:22 AM      Profile for Bastiaan Fleerkate   Author's Homepage   Email Bastiaan Fleerkate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Bean's Holiday shows a projection booth at the end of the movie. I have just a few questions about that. There is a Kinoton 35mm projector tilted up instead of down. Is this because this is a flaw in the movie or is there an explanation for this (behind screen projection) and does somebody know where this booth (and cinema) are located?

|  IP: Logged

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 03-31-2007 01:27 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it a drive-in?

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 03-31-2007 01:35 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And there are some (not many I imagine) indoor booths situated such that the projector(s) point upwards to the screen, much like a drive-in. The El Capitan in Hollywood is an example.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 03-31-2007 07:48 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are even some booths that aim any which way and the image goes to screen through mirrors.

Bastiaan Fleerkate
Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2007 07:55 PM      Profile for Bastiaan Fleerkate   Author's Homepage   Email Bastiaan Fleerkate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Chris Slycord
There are even some booths that aim any which way and the image goes to screen through mirrors.

I think this is the most logical explanation... it is not like a drive-in and it is most probably filmed in Cannes. But I hope there is someone that can give me more information. It's just a nice (and clean) looking booth with Kinoton 35mm, Kinoton Digital projector, Dolby CP65.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 04-01-2007 02:06 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
There are continuity errors in the scene which lead me to believe that while it may be a real booth, it's at least been setup for the scene. In the first shot, the 35mm and DLP are not even aimed at the same place. In the second shot, the 35mm isn't even in the same place and is aimed differently and the 35mm is just spooling film onto the floor.

-

-

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-01-2007 02:09 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like a booth under distruction!

William Phillips
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2007 04:41 AM      Profile for William Phillips   Author's Homepage   Email William Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just saw that scene in the film. It looks like the 35mm projector is on a strange base and if it was pushed forward would be pointing at the screen not the roof. Maybe for easy access ????

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2007 02:00 PM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The first picture looks like a Kinoton Digital Projector!!
The second picture !!???? I can not tell
Demetris

Alban Birch
Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2007 02:43 PM      Profile for Alban Birch   Author's Homepage   Email Alban Birch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's a FP30

Brian Guckian
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2007 03:22 PM      Profile for Brian Guckian   Email Brian Guckian   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I can get the info. I know a company that did some work on that picture. Additional equipment did have to be supplied. Leave it with me...

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-02-2007 04:51 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Remeniscent of when Mr. Bean re-tuned the ride film equipment for "more excitement in the ride".

Mark

Brian Guckian
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2007 07:59 AM      Profile for Brian Guckian   Email Brian Guckian   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Got the information for you, Bastiaan.

The main location used was a Preview Theatre in Paris. They needed to shoot some additional inserts later (elsewhere) and for this they hired in an FP30D (supplied by Avcom Ltd., London) which matched one in the Paris location.

No special projection arrangements were reported, thus I think the machine was tilted because it was meant to be a "crazy" projection booth if you like, for the purposes of the story. It was not meant to be realistic in any way.

It does look like a major continuity error in having one shot with the machine at a "crazy" angle, but the other with the machine vertical. But it depends on the duration of the latter shot I guess and the way it was shot (pan / track, etc.).

Hope that helps.

Bastiaan Fleerkate
Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2007 08:17 AM      Profile for Bastiaan Fleerkate   Author's Homepage   Email Bastiaan Fleerkate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info!

Jean-Michel Grin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2007 12:35 PM      Profile for Jean-Michel Grin   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Michel Grin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An another error in this scene:
If You watch closely, you can see two Dolby CP65 in the soundracks, right ? and You can ear the sound of the "Artistic Movie" running during the scene.
But one of the CP65 is in format 10 and "Mute" mode and the another is in bypass mode ! LOL
Maybe the local tech of this theater wanted to exagerate "the crazy booth" argument...

[ 04-08-2007, 01:46 PM: Message edited by: Jean-Michel Grin ]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: