Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Hello new member here from Cineworld. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Hello new member here from Cineworld.
Oliver Harper
Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2007 04:45 AM      Profile for Oliver Harper   Email Oliver Harper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
just saying hello!, i run the projection booth at Cambridge Cineworld and have been the last two years. Its great to come across a forum dedicated to film and projection discussion.
Just a quick question,im not sure how many people on this forum are from the UK but does anyone here feel that projectionists and technicians arent treated with any respect by there fellow managers?.My GM doesnt like to get involved with projection and shows no interest upstairs..just wondering if VUE,Odeon or Empire sites have this problem aswell?.

Look forwarding to talking to you all.

[ 04-06-2007, 06:37 PM: Message edited by: Oliver Harper ]

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-06-2007 05:07 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the forums, for you'll learn quite the lot here. Just ask as many question as you desire and we'll do the best to answer them in the best interest.

....and to your question .. things like that happen over here across the pond as well. Nothing new. There has always been that separation, small and/or large between the mgr and the projectionist/booth personnel.

Just hang in there, for if you love what you're doing, matters like that shouldn't get in your way of moving forward and upward.

Good luck and welcome again - Monte

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2007 05:23 AM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to this forum. You will find many folks from the UK here as well as folks from just about anywhere else. There is a wealth of knowledge and experience here and scores of folks willing to offer advice and diagnostic help whenever you ask. Be sure to check out the tutorials and how-to guides as they offer lots of current tips. I'm sure a lot of UK folks will be chiming in real soon. Again, welcome!

Oliver Harper
Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2007 05:31 AM      Profile for Oliver Harper   Email Oliver Harper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cheers guys..

Justin Gorka
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2007 07:29 AM      Profile for Justin Gorka   Email Justin Gorka   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Oliver,
I too work for Cineworld and have done for 5 years. be careful what you say on here as I've had problems before being too out spoken!
As to the manager problem, you need to remind them that you too, (look at your contract) are a manager. I've had no problems with GM's (Llandudno, Swindon and now Ashton-Under-Lyne).
Just remind them that without you they wouldn't be able to sell popcorn.
If you feel you are having too many problems make sure you attend managers meetings and express you views. If that fails talk to Stu, he is very helpful and there is also the regional. (is that Al? If so he as also approachable!
Above all stand your ground! Who's your regional tech?
There is also a UK (I think) based forum which can have some interesting posts.
http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/cinemationlist/
Regards Justin

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2007 07:37 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome. You should also post on the "Who The Hell Are You" and the "non US members" thread in the Film-Yak section.

Oliver Harper
Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2007 09:15 AM      Profile for Oliver Harper   Email Oliver Harper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
cheers for info Justin, Stu is a nice guy and is Dave weaver my regional engineer is a top bloke, there never really about onsite anymore, they used to pay more visits in the past but with the take over of UGC you never really see any engineers why to busy with other sites!..

Justin Gorka
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2007 10:09 AM      Profile for Justin Gorka   Email Justin Gorka   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agree with that. My priority is the running of the booth. We have 14 screens, 2 booths on two levels and run the place with about 90 multifunctional hrs. I try to make Monday my maintenance day as we have to do the lighting thingy then anyway. I know it's a pain, but does with the job. I now give the urinal (my pet hate) unblocker to a multifunctional or supervisor and if that doesn't work log it with maintenance. I'm buggered if I'm going to dismantle foul spelling pipes that have been fitted with the wrong bore pipes and gradient when I have projectors to maintain!
My GM is happy with this! (but then again I'm the scary person in a grey shirt!)
My biggest problem is getting (and keeping) people upstairs!
Have fun, I do love the job even with the strange systems we have to deal with!
Dave is very good and will give you good advice though he does grimace a bit!
Have you had your test GAP yet?

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2007 04:52 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I worked for both UGC and Cine-UK. I felt that some managers didn't respect me and the other 'multifunctional' projectionists enough. Our GM was good, I reckon if they don't get involved it is a sign that you are doing a good job.

We also had massive problems keeping people. The pay and status is too low. There needs to be a grade between multifunctional and tech, so after people stay for 6-8 months they get the same pay and status as a Supervisor or something? Might be more expensive but in the long run it could save on training and lost shows through inexperience. Can't see this happening though if we're slowly moving to digital.

I quit after a few months because of university. I want to go back but because the pay is minimum wage it makes more sense financially to go work on floor at my ex-UGC site again which is 30p more per hour, paid breaks and more social hours.

Maybe if five sites close-ish together put in hours you could employ a handyman between you, working at one site each day or on a call-out basis? I think this happens in the London ex-UGCs.

quote:
be careful what you say on here as I've had problems before being too out spoken!
Seriously? Will I have to go on an editing spree if a mangerial or head office job comes up [Big Grin]

Justin Gorka
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2007 06:03 PM      Profile for Justin Gorka   Email Justin Gorka   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We tried the handy man approach but the AM wouldn't go for it. The building is suffering as a result. We (techs) simply don't have the time!

Oliver Harper
Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2007 06:35 PM      Profile for Oliver Harper   Email Oliver Harper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hey guys, we havent had a gap test for well over a year but ive managed to keep up on things.I think the projectionist should be kept seperate from mulitfuctionals because working upstairs you have more responsibilties. There used to be 10p tests so the projectionists could earned abit extra but that idea seems to have disappeared.

Maybe your right Caleb about the GM situation, its just if you work your ass off everyday and he never checks what you have done you sort of feel sometimes why make the effort?..thats how i feel..my GM is good at his job but us lads upstairs dont really feel part of the team..
Justin you have shite hours mate you poor man!..i run a 9 screen with over 90 hours!..We manage to keep our staff upstairs but its difficult to find a replacement because most of the people who work downstairs i wouldnt trust upstairs!

Ben Wales
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2007 06:47 PM      Profile for Ben Wales   Email Ben Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
i run a 9 screen with over 90 hours!
Surely not yourself personally as that is outlawed by the WTD?.
I doubt Cinemas are exempt from this EU Law.

Justin Gorka
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2007 06:53 PM      Profile for Justin Gorka   Email Justin Gorka   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I asume you mean 90 multi hrs. Lucky you! I could if I could get the bods upstairs. Perhaps we should start a new thread on this one. Just call it fantasyworld!

Oliver Harper
Film Handler

- posted 04-07-2007 04:21 AM      Profile for Oliver Harper   Email Oliver Harper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yeah 90 on the mulit hours..

Niall Jackson
Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2007 09:49 AM      Profile for Niall Jackson   Email Niall Jackson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
im one of ollys multifuncional staff members sadly all he says is true [thumbsup]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: