Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » How heavy is a Victoria 8?

Author Topic: How heavy is a Victoria 8?
Phillip Grace
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-14-2007 02:15 AM      Profile for Phillip Grace   Email Phillip Grace   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can anybody help with a figure for the weight of a Cinemeccanica Victoria 8 35/70 projector? It is on its original cast pedestal, and is without lamphouse. We want to move it without disconnecting any internal wiring (ie, in one piece).
Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-14-2007 03:24 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good Luck!! I recommend disconnecting the internal wiring and breaking it into 4 parts:
The Take Base (No Wires Connected)
The Lamphouse/Control Base (All Wires should be disconnected from the Take Base and be tied neatly underneat the Lamphouse/Control Base)
The Head (Exciter Lamp Assemply and changeover control cables should be disconnected from the Take Base)
The Give Away Arm (Easy peasy)

I have done this several times and its very easy and straight forward. The cables should be numbered thus you should not have trouble connecting them back also they only reach THAT FAR and cannot be reached on wrong connections. Make sure you note the cables which are not numbered where they go. This method worked for me when I had to move over a round ladder, stairs e.t.c. Now in case you want to move it accross a booth I recommend just tilting the projector, placing it on a heavy duty trolley (like the ones they use when they lift cars) and move it. Otherwise it will be very heavy to move it.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-14-2007 12:07 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Assuming you're removing it from a theater completely... the VIC-8 is not really meant to be moved in one piece and doing so may damage one thing or another. Disassembly of the head from the base and perhaps even removing the penthouse is the proper way. Not to say it can't be done but the internal wiring on them is pretty simple. If you're moving it from one booth to another in the same building and the floor is flat all the way then a simple pallett mover is the best way. Get a couple of strong giys and tip it back then get the pallett mover under it and haul it off.

Mark

John Koutsoumis
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2007 05:33 AM      Profile for John Koutsoumis   Email John Koutsoumis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, how about moving (a non disassembled Victoria 8)from a Screening room situated on the 9th floor of a building, then down the elevator, then down several steps and onto a truck..

Don Furr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2007 07:11 AM      Profile for Don Furr   Email Don Furr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Over the years I've moved at least a dozen V8's. Save yourself a lot of grief.....take the head off the base. Like Mark said the wiring is very simple. CAUTION....be careful not to snap off the oil drain tube on the front rear of the head. I would drain the oil and remove the oil stem.

Don

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-15-2007 02:44 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll second what Don said. Its those last few steps that are the problem... a straight away move on a dolly or pallett mover is certainly ok though. The Vic-8 is not as heavy as some machines but its also not a light weight either. When you un-do the wiring just document where you disconnect each wire from so it can go back exactly the same way. Or get some of those stick on numbers and label the connection point and the wire with the same number. Makes it easy as pie.... You'll have just the motor and the wires under the back cover by the shutter to deal with.

Mark

Ben Wales
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2007 04:38 PM      Profile for Ben Wales   Email Ben Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess the Victoria 8 is simular in weight to a Westrex 5000 Projector and that worked out about 220kg (without Lamphouse) they are quite easy to move when dismantled, try moving a Victoria 10 or one the real "heavy boys" a Philips DP70 [Big Grin]

Reece Black
Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2007 10:34 PM      Profile for Reece Black   Email Reece Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a pair on a base and castors,it must weigh over 200kg.
Try ATLAB for a shipping weight.

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-17-2007 05:20 AM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Reece, so you now work in a truely portable cinema now? Have you taken the projectors back to your place yet? Was the state of the Art venue promised budget cutted away lol.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-17-2007 04:59 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have regularly moved them assembled with the lamphouse on them
They are much lighter than they look

Reece Black
Film Handler

- posted 04-17-2007 07:42 PM      Profile for Reece Black   Email Reece Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Cameron,
The Vic 8's are for our outdoor screenings. We wheel them out.
I thought there was some scales in our loading dock, but the big ones are at our storage across town. New cinema opens later this year.

Phillip Grace
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2007 01:04 AM      Profile for Phillip Grace   Email Phillip Grace   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks all! I found almost all of the original wiring labels intact and got hold of a circuit diagram for reference. "Mischief Managed!"

Hi Reece! How goes the cinema building project? I gather its in one of the gallery spaces. Will they retain the 35mm projection facilities in the old theatrette?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: