Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Breaking down the film....while it's playing! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Breaking down the film....while it's playing!
Bastiaan Fleerkate
Film Handler

- posted 04-16-2007 05:17 AM      Profile for Bastiaan Fleerkate   Author's Homepage   Email Bastiaan Fleerkate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Breaking down the movie

What do we think of this?

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-16-2007 05:59 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dang, that is what's called a 'projectionist' when one an do such a feat like that and not have any problems in the meantime.

BUT ... He's just one step away from making the task a LOT easier:

He has a unit that has a takeup spindle that he could plop a reel on there. Begin the show using the reel for takeup, then when the necessary splice comes around (with the unit on manual override as this one is doing),break the splice, then tag the remainder of the film on the platter, hit "RUN" on the console to return the system to be controlled by the automation-after switching off the motor and lamp from manual operation.

I used to do this trick a bunch of years ago when I wanted to get out of the theatre at a decent time instead of waiting...

I had Cine V5's that still had the lower takeup arms attached to the machine in where the guidance rollers were mounted on the bottom of the arms.

The arms still had their belt driven hubs attached. Thus, I would swivel away the guidance rollers to put a 6k reel on that arm, and mark the film on the platter where the necessary break was.

Just before the break, I would send the unit to manual, have a empty 6k reel near by, catch the splice that needed to be broken and snap it, pop off that reel from the lower arm and hurridly put on the empty reel, but not on completely on the shaft so I can freewheel the reel to take up the film that I slipwound on the hub of the reel. Then, when the film was tight on the reel, push the reel fully on the shaft to engage the takeup and ensure that the film was still passing through the failsafe as I returned the system to automatic.
Thus, while that 2nd reel was winding up the remainder of the print, I then could break down the first reel and save some time in all of those breakdowns that I was doing.

I had a system on doing this very well. Sometimes, I would get brave and use 2k reels also if I was wanting to get outta there in a quick that night.

Tons of fun stuff that shouldn't be shared on here..and would get shot if caught doing it in the meantime... [Big Grin]

-Monte

Patrick de Groot
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-16-2007 06:13 AM      Profile for Patrick de Groot   Email Patrick de Groot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I for one was almost yelled out here when I posted it a long time ago. My way of doing it was the same as yours Monte... Only thing different was I was using a scissor to cut through some added black film and guide it to take-up platter. I changed my way. When I had to break down I just took out the ring with advertorials and trailers during the intermission. Ofcourse you must have an intermission to do it. Otherwise just do it at the end! Or if you really don't have time just skip playing the preshow at it's end-of-week run... You save 10 minutes extra!

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-16-2007 07:01 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check the amount of film that reached the floor before the change could be made. He should have used some large pieces of newspaper. I admit of doing the same thing at a changeover theater with 6000 spools and changing the lower take up spool as the reel was passing by! Worked flawless every time. I thank my dad for showing me that trick.
Demetris

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 04-16-2007 08:44 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think this is bad practice, but with theaters making almost no money they are forced into procedures like this. The guy did OK this time, (although I thought I saw a edit in the video) but some day he'll 'miss' and the next theater get a damaged print. A less skilled co-worker will watch and try it too, ... and the next theater will get a print with several feet missing. At best, the film will have scratches and dirt on that head section.

My own feeling about this is ... this shows one of the many things that are wrong with our industry today, and why studios are dumping film for the poorer image, but less-maintaince digital.

Patrick de Groot
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-16-2007 09:50 AM      Profile for Patrick de Groot   Email Patrick de Groot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, indeed bad practice. You will notice it during the start of the film, dirt, dust, scratches, raining. Also, the film will slide against the ring instead of the threading leader...

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-16-2007 10:11 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This kind of crap should be outlawed. There is no way to do that without getting dust and scratches on the film, no matter what kind of protection is used on the floor.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 04-16-2007 10:33 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That sort of crap should definitely be outlawed. There are lots of ways of getting the ads and trailers out of a made up feature without getting all that film on the floor. As Monte describes, winding them off onto a 2k spool, stopping the show briefly and then threading the feature onto the platter collar is one. If you plan it well, the front of house staff will use the 2-3 minutes to seat the last few customers who arrive, and a timed track on the nonsync will still make the presentation flow professionally.

If that isn't an option (e.g. because your projector doesn't have a take-up spindle), you can insert some spacing material - I used sponge pipe lagging - into the platter reel as the end of the ads and trailers approaches the take-up plate. At the end of the show, remove the sponges, and the gap you've created will enable you to undo the splice and lift out the collar containing the ads and trailers, while leaving the feature on the plate. A collar containing the new ads and trailers can then be dropped in. OK, this method has two drawbacks: a print in this state can't be moved until it's been run again, and you can't edit the ads and trailers while the feature is running, which you can if you've spooled them off. But that's a small price to pay to avoid the scratches and dirt that the method shown in this video is likely to inflict.

Patrick de Groot
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-16-2007 11:10 AM      Profile for Patrick de Groot   Email Patrick de Groot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
@Leo
Hmmm Monte did not say he stopped the projector...

The person in the video is btw a very good technical cinema engineer (I know him). That ofcourse does not matter regarding this subject.
He also does have some great good ideas like using a round filmcan, attach a bobby at the inside, decorate it with soft material and use it to quickly wind the film on right from the platter. It's also a great help to create the preshow (commercials, trailers). It neatly fits into the film when you remove the ring. Don't know if it's clear what I mean...

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-16-2007 12:17 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The other thread is here.

Regardless, whoever that tech is must be godawful, as he is showing no interest toward the care of the film. He lets it dump onto the floor, it slips on the center ring and then he runs the film through his fingers...ALL of which puts scratches onto the print.

This industry doesn't need any more careless jackasses. That guy is setting a horrible example. [fu]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-16-2007 12:27 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
@Leo
Hmmm Monte did not say he stopped the projector...

Nope...never did - kept it running...just was real quick about it.

But, that was back in the late 80's when I was doing all of this. Nowdays,I laugh about it since I can't do it, nor have done it anymore.

Only thing that I do rarely, is if I need the middle platter open for makeups and forget after I had just started the film, is do that classic manual override thing, then hurry and grab the rewind ring off the rotating deck, and put it on the other deck that is open, relace the platter tower, spin the rewind platter to take up slack, then switch the system back to automation.

...still haven't lost that touch ... lol

-Monte

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 04-16-2007 02:46 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry: misread Monte's original post. But I still agree 200% with Brad. However 'skilfully' the procedure shown in that video is done, it is guaranteed to put dirt and scratches on a significant length of film.

We know, of course, that pressure of time and workload often leaves people with little option but to do something like this. But it's still not something that should be encouraged.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 04-16-2007 03:21 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Look.....this is like sex; best done in the dark and don't tell anyone the details. IF you are good enough, you can do this yourself. My issue is showing incompetent people this kind of trick. THEY won't have your care and expertise so Brad is right. Louis

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 04-16-2007 03:29 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is that a split cut-off he re-engages at the end of it all? Good grief. Perhaps that should be wired up in case...oh, I don't know...THE FILM EVER BREAKS????

With that take-up spindle going nuts there it's a wonder he didn't end up with it all wrapped around the take-up.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 04-16-2007 04:21 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure that he could have taken any longer to get the film off the floor and back on the platter.

In any case, it's just plain retarded. There's no need to do this to change trailers/ads.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: