Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Tricking a DTS unit (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Tricking a DTS unit
Joshua Wood
Film Handler

- posted 12-08-2001 11:02 PM      Profile for Joshua Wood   Email Joshua Wood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it possible to trick a DTS unit into playing a DTS disk without film being run through the projector?

|  IP: Logged

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 12-08-2001 11:14 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. If you search past topics, you will find the way. PS: You will need to plug a IBM (PS2-type) keyboard into the back of the DTS unit.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-09-2001 01:14 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You don't need a keyboard (unless you want to listen to the ENTIRE disc). But you will need an Empirical Test Disc, available at your local grocery store.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-09-2001 11:18 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seems to work only on 3 drawer units

------------------
Greg Mueller
Amateur Astronomer, Machinist, Filmnut
http://www.muellersatomics.com/

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-09-2001 11:20 AM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John,
Joshua needs an AT keyboard, not a PS/2

Joe,
Why the "empirical test disk"? I believe that joshua wants to play a movie disk, in that case he needs a keyboard. But I remember that someone said that with new version of software the keyboard way is no longer supported.

Bye
Antonio

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-09-2001 02:53 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
You can put a certain version of the Empirical disc in drive C and the movie disc in drive A, reboot and it will play reel 1. This only works with certain firmware and versions of the 6-d unit.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 12-09-2001 04:53 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Antonio; Yes you're right; I meant "big plug, but not XT type..!" As you can see I was sleeping when I typed PS2...

Why would they take out the keyboard feature?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-09-2001 11:44 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have sucessfully played R-1 of a feature using the Emperical Test disc in Drive-A on both 2-drawer, and 3-drawer units as well as the DTS-6AD (which has some clearly nifty features on it anyway).

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-10-2001 09:25 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So Steve you put the Emperical Test disc in Drive-A and the disk A in Drive-B, on a two drawer, and it worked? Did you have a keyboard plugged in? I want to make mine do that

------------------
Greg Mueller

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-10-2001 11:28 AM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,

But should you have to hear the empirical disk to the end???
Once our tech put the level disk (I do not remember the code) in drive A and feature disk 1 in drive B. When the level track were completed the player started with track 1 of the feature disk.

Karen,
Is is possible to know how to modify (and if it is possible) the CFG files on the DTS disk so that we can create our DTS disk to test our systems?
For example, I usually test my theater witn TITANIC. But I have to plug the keyboard and go through menus by mind to select the correct track.
It would be great if we can create our disk with, for example, just the reel 3 of one movie that starts by itself.
I saw something in the CFG file but I don't know if it can be modified.

Bye
Antonio

Steve Guttag

- posted 12-11-2001 12:42 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greg,

You got it...Emperical Test Disc in "A" and the feature's Disk A in Drive "B" and it should start playing R-1 of your feature's disc...when R-1 is over...it will replay R-1 (I believe).

Steve

------------------

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2001 01:29 PM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, there are several tricks.

Karen at DTS

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2001 02:41 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Karen,

How much mystery around the tricky procedures...

A

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2001 02:53 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do tell....

------------------
Greg Mueller

Steve Guttag

- posted 12-11-2001 07:55 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like the "trick" because it will let a tech evaluate a sound system with a known soundtrack without having to have the film. In such cases, R-1 is all that is needed since it typically will have music as well as dialog. Regardless if this is a designed in feature or a happly glitch, I like it!

Steve

------------------

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: