Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Failsafe problems

Author Topic: Failsafe problems
Jon Ellsworth
Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2007 12:10 AM      Profile for Jon Ellsworth   Email Jon Ellsworth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At the current theater I work at we use Victoria 5s converted to use platters(Christie Platters). Recently one of our Failsafes has been acting up, the alarm sets off every time a film finishes, on other projectors they play fine. We've had 2 different techs look at it, and neither has an answer for our current problem. I understand the alarm going off doesn't cause any major problems with the film, but is an annoying thing to deal with everyday, and I fear it may lead to other problems. I'm not 100% sure on the name of the Failsafe I can only make out the first 3 letters and they seem to spell out "Rub-". And I believe its a Tension Failsafe.

The Failsafe will read the first set of cues that play through it , but not the final one, we use Dot Cues. I've tried doubling ending cues on the blue band to no avail as the alarm still sets off.

Any advice you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated. If more info is need I will gladly supply what I know.

Also I apologize for my horrid grammar hopefully it isn't to much of an eyesore for any of you to understand

|  IP: Logged

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 04-19-2007 02:40 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A lot of the time if you put an intermission cue too close to the end of the film it'll fail on you at the end. Same for if you got a used print, didn't realize it already had an intermission cue, and put one. We also found out that our failsafe goes off if we put a lens change cue too close to the intermission cue (putting that at the end of the movie in case the ads run in a different format than the feature or if the house alternates between scope and flat movies).

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-19-2007 04:58 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like the automation is part of the fault on how it's set up with the failsafe. What brand of automation would this be at your cinema?

Also, sounds like it's a sensor type of failsafe to where if you use dots, wonder if you have a certain wire that is loose that ties on the back of the unit that should be reading this section of film that the dot of cue foil.

(go look at the other failsafe unit and maybe you can read the make of this unit - or, if you could send down picts of this unit for the all of us to see...)

Oh, and by the way..welcome to Film-Tech ... welcome aboard.

Jon Ellsworth
Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2007 01:24 PM      Profile for Jon Ellsworth   Email Jon Ellsworth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
@Chris- Our print of Wild Hogs was used and had Strip cues used on it, I was told to go ahead and put our own and not worry about removing theirs. When we previewed the movie that night it played fine none of the other theaters cues were read.

@Monte- I'll try to get some pictures tonight

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-19-2007 05:00 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If a system reads a cue is dependent on the location of the foil inrespect to where your sensor is reading the cues
If it is not in the same place then so be it
but I always insist that all old tape is removed during makeup
also you have yet to tell us the type of automation and type of sensor involved

Jon Ellsworth
Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2007 08:51 PM      Profile for Jon Ellsworth   Email Jon Ellsworth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, well I found the culprit the out sensor wasn't fully plugged in.

I am ashamed to ask this, since I have been doing this for about 2 years now, but how do I find out what type of automation system we use?

Also would like to thank you guys for the feedback even though my description of the problem was somewhat vague and full of holes.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 04-19-2007 09:20 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
2 technicians and neither one of them thought to check that the connector was seated? You guys deserve a refund.

Jon Ellsworth
Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2007 12:01 AM      Profile for Jon Ellsworth   Email Jon Ellsworth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They were out here to work on other issues, I simply pointed it out to them, and they both took a look after finishing what they originally came out to do

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-20-2007 02:43 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
They were out here to work on other issues,
...just hope your theatre doesn't use their services anymore - kinda funny that the two of them couldn't solve what you solved by yourself in seconds...

If he has strip cueing, wonder if he has a Christie setup with the 3Q automation?

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2007 08:31 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Victoria 5's converted to use platters"...
Were the Victorias running on the huge reels originally?
How old is this theatre?
He may be talking Xetrons from the 70's...

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-20-2007 10:10 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
could be those Xetron MAXI automation units that are either hung on the wall or incorportated in those XETRON XHC-35 consoles which did have Cine V-5's hung on the front. - typical booth setup during the late 70's.

Cine V-5's did originally use 6k reels if doing automated changeovers, but a lot of them were converted for platter usage later on when more large twins were split for more screens.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: