Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Weird Aspect Ratio (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Weird Aspect Ratio
Bastiaan Fleerkate
Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2007 10:06 AM      Profile for Bastiaan Fleerkate   Author's Homepage   Email Bastiaan Fleerkate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone seen this aspect ratio before. It is 1:2.44
Looks like they shot the movie in scope and forgot to print it that way...

-

It's a Dutch movie called 'Blind'

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-20-2007 10:37 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like a letterboxed flat trailer for a scope movie.

Bernard Tonks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2007 11:01 AM      Profile for Bernard Tonks   Email Bernard Tonks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to Internet Movie Database the release prints are:

Technical specifications for
Blind (2007)

Film negative format (mm/video inches)
35 mm (Kodak)

Cinematographic process
Super 35

Printed film format
35 mm (anamorphic)

Aspect ratio
2.35 : 1

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0808174/

Bastiaan Fleerkate
Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2007 01:15 PM      Profile for Bastiaan Fleerkate   Author's Homepage   Email Bastiaan Fleerkate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK. The whole movie is like this. So if I understand it correctly, they filmed it in scope, but printed it in Widescreen. OK, that makes sense....NOT!

The trailer for this movie was in scope though... nice movie BTW!

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2007 02:04 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cinematographic process Super 35

They filmed it FLAT, intending it to be printed SCOPE. Instead, the lab hard matted it ot 2.39. If this is a trailer, it is intended to be run in front of FLAT films. If this is the feature, the lab screwed up.

Brian Guckian
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2007 05:07 PM      Profile for Brian Guckian   Email Brian Guckian   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It may not be the lab's fault. There are some filmmakers who actually want the "letterbox look". These often come from the advertising or music video end of filmmaking. It's even more likely if the film is non-mainstream.

In this month's American Cinematographer there is an account of a Brazilian feature - Send A Bullet (Manda Bala) - made in an aspect ratio of 2.70:1. They actually shot anamorphic Super-16mm (yes, you read that correctly) and the piece says that the final product was shown at Sundance on 1080i HDCAM. Presumably this was flat.

So it could all be intentional. The labs always do what they're told to do!

Bastiaan Fleerkate
Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2007 07:13 PM      Profile for Bastiaan Fleerkate   Author's Homepage   Email Bastiaan Fleerkate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is the feature movie.
The strange thing is...the trailer for this movie was scope. [Confused]

This movie indeed isn't main-stream... maybe it's a fault from the lab or the film maker wanted this...

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 04-20-2007 11:35 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are cases where Super 35 movies are printed to flat
rather than scope for test screenings or non-final prints,
presumably because it is cheaper. This may be such a case.

--jhawk

Ron Curran
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-21-2007 01:49 AM      Profile for Ron Curran   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Curran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't worry, the whole world will be flat soon. And 16x9.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 04-21-2007 09:37 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John Hawkinson
There are cases where Super 35 movies are printed to flat rather than scope for test screenings or non-final prints, presumably because it is cheaper.
I don't get how that can be cheaper. Continuous contact printing is continuous contact printing, whatever the source and destination format is. It's when you need to optically print format A to format B (e.g. printing an anamorphic original to a letterboxed dupe) that is going to introduce extra cost.

My guess would be that digital intermediate post-production was involved, and that a letterboxed dupe neg was burnt out by the recorder as distinct from an anamorphic one, possibly due to as simple a cock-up as someone clicking the wrong button on a menu screen.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-21-2007 10:12 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But, looking at the frame you posted, that's obviously a FLAT print, yet you say the trailer on it was SCOPE. So it's obviously a lab screwup....the thing was supposed to be printed in scope. The trailer was probably attached, rather than printed with the feature...correct?

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 04-21-2007 10:33 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've done screenings of films that have been Super35 with just a SRD track on it. It is cheaper to make a pre-release type print like that then ship a full Track & Picture equipment set-up and you can play it almost any where.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 04-21-2007 11:14 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Leo, huh?

I'm suggesting the negative is in super 35, and it was contact printed to a flat release print with the left edge cut off, rather than step-optical printed to a scope release print, which would be more expensive.

Am I confused?

--jhawk

Bastiaan Fleerkate
Film Handler

- posted 04-21-2007 11:53 AM      Profile for Bastiaan Fleerkate   Author's Homepage   Email Bastiaan Fleerkate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
yet you say the trailer on it was SCOPE.
I didn't say this. The trailer of this movie was in scope. The trailer was shipped separately. Most movies in the Netherlands don't have trailers attached.

I think the movie was shot digitally and printed the wrong way.
Maybe I can blow the picture up with a different lens... I will have to experiment. [Mad]

Ron Curran
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-21-2007 10:55 PM      Profile for Ron Curran   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Curran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the subject of aspect ratios, one of the arguments against full scope is that 2x camera anamorphics are problematic, which is one reason why some prefer Super35 with spherical lenses.

I have also noted that 1.5x anamorphics will not scare the horses. Iscovision proposed something like this.

So what would be wrong with a Super35 width negative with a 1.5 squeeze? This would yield an exposed area about 12% larger than 2x anamorphic (.65” x .98” – I quote Imperial rather than metric to avoid getting a breadstick up my nose) without the 2x distortions. Release prints would be our standard Scope variety or digital files.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: