Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » cp2000 with dvd

Author Topic: cp2000 with dvd
John Foley
Film Handler

- posted 04-25-2007 12:01 AM      Profile for John Foley   Email John Foley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
anyone have advice on hooking up a dvd player to a christie cp2000 digital projection.

right now i have tried an upscaling dvd player (sony) hooked to dvi-a with an hdmi dvi cable.

I get random color pattern, but no clear picture, which is making trying different menu setting difficult. i am going to also hook up a tv for menu viewing.

any done this successfully? any details, including brand and model of dvd player and setting details would help.

|  IP: Logged

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 04-25-2007 05:51 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have the specs for the DVI input on the projector? What is the DVD player upscaling to? are the two compatible? I don't know the details of the CP200, so I don't know if they're compatible, or if you need an external scaler/converter to interface them. I've put dvi digital signals from a computer into a NEC projector, but did it via a Cine-IPM.

Have you tried feeding the output from the player into a DVI computer monitor or HD television to see if the player can produce a correct picture on those with the settings as they are at present?

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 04-25-2007 06:18 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John Foley
I get random color pattern, but no clear picture, which is making trying different menu setting difficult.
Why? The setup is done on the touchscreen in the back, or from a notebook. Are you "cleared" to go into the advanced setup menu?

I guess you mean menu settings for the DVD player. You don't need to do much at first except for activate DVI out and the resolution which is typically done with the remote or switches on the back. All the other settings can be entered when you see the image on screen.

Typically, the CP2000s already come with a preconfigured format for DVD content (it's one of the higher channels, 8, 9, 12, one of those). But it is fairly easy setting up DVD stuff. I don't remember the exact terminology, I would have to look at the screen and different manufacturers use slightly different terms.

Basically, you have to switch to that input (DVI-A or -B), select cinema processing, then select the right color space, otherwise everything is greenish and yellowish. I don't remember exactly which color space it was, you can just try the ones offered or wait for someone who remembers the exact name for the correct color space (probably Steve G.). The rest is resizing and formatting and pixel masking and all that. If you understand how digital projectors work, it's fairly intuitive.

But please only do that if you are allowed to work with the format setup and if you understand how the menu structure, setup, and saving works, otherwise, you can easily cause a lot of problems, and we don't want that, right?

As far as DVD players are concerned, chances are an upscaling Sony won't work because most major-brand upscaling players now have HDCP (high bandwidth digital content protection) which is a "handshake" routine in which the player only plays when it gets a correct confirmation back from the playback device. AFAIK, none of the digital projectors do that.

I played a lot of DVD content on digital projectors with the Vizio Bravo D2 which upscaled and had no HDCP. Looks like they don't make them anymore, though.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 04-25-2007 06:31 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Michael Schaffer
As far as DVD players are concerned, chances are an upscaling Sony won't work because most major-brand upscaling players now have HDCP (high bandwidth digital content protection) which is a "handshake" routine in which the player only plays when it gets a correct confirmation back from the playback device. AFAIK, none of the digital projectors do that.

Does HDCP apply to upscaled SD material, or only to genuine HD?

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 04-25-2007 06:57 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Both. It's a DVI thing in general, and probably also an HDMI thing. Look it up ("google.com").

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 04-25-2007 07:14 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know that support for it, not use of it, is mandatory for HDMI, and optional for DVI, but I wasn't clear if it applied to upscaled SD material. If it does, then how does it work? It wouldn't be on the original SD recording; it could be added to the upscaled output by the device doing the upscaling, but how would this device know whether to add it or not? There wouldn't be an embedded switch in the original SD data stream. If I made a SD DVD and gave it to somebody to play on an upscaling player then I might not want the resulting upscaled stream to be protected. Also, I suspect that the use of HDCP requires payment of licence fees to whoever it is that owns the system, in a similar way to the use of Macrovision and CSS require payment of fees, so I couldn't have my content protected, even if I wanted to, without payment of those fees.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: