Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Why break both hot and ground on motor feed? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Why break both hot and ground on motor feed?
Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 04-26-2007 12:10 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Working in an old booth, I discovered someone had removed the switch that traditionally sits on the side of the motor on an RCA soundhead and moved it to a 2 gang wall box in front of the machine. The wall box had a switch on one gang and a jeweled red lens on the other. Presumably the red indicator light was needed to let the projectionist know that the machine was running....just in case he couldn't figure that out by sound of the motor and maybe like the film running through the mechanism.

Anyway, I opened the box to find the switch was a double pole; it was switching both the hot and the neutral lines to the motor. So my question....would there be any good reason why this is so configured? It's a standard Robbins 110vac motor, so why would there be a need to break both lines? In fact, wouldn't lifting the neutral off the motor be someone dangerous, and wouldn't switching it on and off be more of a path for click noise to enter the system?

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-26-2007 01:20 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I call it a safety for sure since, even though neutral won't bite you if the path of current is cut from the hot, but in case the path wasn't completely cut, or any potental of any complete circuit prevails - with a short of something, and you touch neutral, you're gonna get bit, or the device will not shut down completely.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 04-26-2007 09:26 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been told it was to diminish the inductive kick that produces a spark across the switch contacts when you shut the motor off.

Whether this is realy valid I don't know.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 04-26-2007 09:45 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could there have been some 240v motors back then? I never saw one, but that would be a reason to switch both poles.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 04-26-2007 10:15 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not an expert here but, I can guess that it is done in case the neutral floats for some reason. If that happens, there can be current coming out of the neutral which could cause all sorts of funky (dangerous) things to happen.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 04-26-2007 10:16 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The double pole motor switch was common on RCA and earlier Simplex soundheads. Earth/ground was also provided to conduit / greenfield hardware.

Bob Koch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-26-2007 12:29 PM      Profile for Bob Koch   Email Bob Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard is correct on this. The original RCA MI 1040 had a double pole switch supplied in the motor switch box which was part of the soundhead itself.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 04-26-2007 07:16 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Randy is probably right. Many of these old theatres had open faced panels with a fused neutral. I was almost killed by an "open" neutral myself. (I went back later and added copper water pipe in place of the neutral fuse. This forces the "hot" to blow instead of confusing people....like me.) Louis

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 04-26-2007 08:47 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The owner is going to have an electrician rework the booth -- seems the prior operators hadn't paid the projectionist for months and then skipped town; he cut and tore out wiring so the place will have to be rewired. I'll see what the electrical contractor wants to do with the motor switches, maybe there is a code involved. If it can stay double pole, I will ask him to leave it. I sure don't want to be messing with anything that is not 110% execution-safe, although I do find that a mild shock every now and then is good for erectile dysfunction.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-26-2007 09:12 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
with no offence and in jest frank said "seems the prior operators hadn't paid the projectionist for months"

I hope it wasn't a Iatse memeber [Big Grin]

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 04-26-2007 10:19 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon, IATSE projectionists are much to smart to work for months without being paid! [Big Grin]

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 04-26-2007 10:28 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
NEC requires you to switch the hot, and that you must not switch the ground. It's optional to switch the neutral, but as is probably obvious, most people don't.

If you're paranoid, its certainly safer. I don't know about RF noise...

--jhawk

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 04-27-2007 07:56 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen several poor wiring jobs in old theaters. An old theater near me (1930 or so) had light fixtures wired with only the hot lead; the fixture's neutral was simply connected to the metal box, using the conduit for the netural return.

So, I'm guessing that some RCA engineer, realizing the poor wiring that a booth might have, decided to switch hot and neutral in case someone wired the booth poorly and reversed them.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 04-27-2007 11:00 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was talking to a guy who knows all about these things and he said that, if the neutral is bonded at the service entrance like it should be, there is no reason to use a double-pole switch. But in an old building where the neutral may or may not be bonded, the neutral MIGHT be switched for extra safety. Basically, it's a "CYA" thing.

The only exception he said was that, in Europe, there may be some funky electrical codes that require it. But, since the projector is American made and has never seen the light of day in a European country, there is no reason why it would be subject to such a code.

It doesn't NEED to be but an anal retentive person might do it anyway.

Tony Ratcliff
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2007 03:53 PM      Profile for Tony Ratcliff   Email Tony Ratcliff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I worked in a drive-in booth one summer where the outlets were all the old style where both holes were the same size (and no ground hole). And some of them were wired hot on left and some hot on right.
I got a good shock one day when I plugged in the wrong way a light with a metal stand.

So maybe this type of issue existed at this theatre at some time and they wanted to make sure the power was off.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: