Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Gate Focus problem on Century Model C Projector (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Gate Focus problem on Century Model C Projector
Mark Farr-Nash
Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2007 05:15 PM      Profile for Mark Farr-Nash   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Farr-Nash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
New Guy with probable New Guy Problem:
I'm still getting my feet wet, but I've got a recurring problem with one of my projectors: the picture randomly goes out of focus when the reel change passes through the gate. It doesn't do it on every splice, but it will do it on the same splice from show to show. Then it will mysteriously change splices and go out of focus there for a couple of shows. It's driving me nuts. I thought it was a splice issue, but I've checked them all and they appear to be clean and not-too-big. Am I overlooking something really simple?

Thanks in advance,

Mark Farr-Nash
The Vernon Plaza Theater

[ 04-29-2007, 09:06 PM: Message edited by: Mark Farr-Nash ]

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-29-2007 05:43 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to Film-Tech ... what kind of projectors do you have for starters since there are so many variants of gate procedures per each machine to really pinpoint down your problem. So, let's begin there for starters then we can get down to the nitty-gritty of things.

..it's just like taking a car to the shop - mechanics need the make and model to get an idea of what to do ..

good luck - Monte

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-29-2007 05:44 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Read the rules before you post again. You have some repair work to do on your first post or you will be banned. #7 should be of specific interest to you.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-29-2007 05:48 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Yes, change your topic to "gate focus issue", or on that same line - make it more definite..)

..little help here...

Paul Goulet
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2007 07:22 PM      Profile for Paul Goulet   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Goulet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
haha. i love how new members are welcomed here so warmly..... [Roll Eyes]

Mark Farr-Nash
Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2007 09:07 PM      Profile for Mark Farr-Nash   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Farr-Nash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, should have realized.

It's a Century Model C, serial number C-9877. Is that what you're looking for?

Mark

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-30-2007 05:04 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
is the gate tension setting (the knob at the top of the operator side of the trap) on that machine higher than on your other machines? it could be compensating for an incorrect gate closure, resulting in too little contact between the gate rails/bands and the film, which is what holds the film flat (well, curved) in the gate. a splice going through could upset a delicate balance and change the focus.

that's the problem we were having a while back, anyways.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 04-30-2007 05:09 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has it been doing this long? Does it do it on every film you play in that theatre?

Perhaps the gate runners are too close together and a slight difference in the film width (albeit small) is making the film buckle in the gate but not on every reel.

Just a thought.

Welcome to Film-Tech, BTW.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-30-2007 06:18 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The century C typically has two versions of the straight gate
the older one has the top of the pressure skate curl backwards
the other it just stands upright like a fork
there are two gate tension knobs and they should be set close to the same
Also I have often seen buildup at the base of the studioguides cause focus issues
Also closely watch the splice go through and see if the film is twisting between the base of the trap and the intermittent sprocket

Mark Farr-Nash
Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2007 09:14 AM      Profile for Mark Farr-Nash   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Farr-Nash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good suggestions, all, and thanks for the welcome.

My gates curl backwards like sled runners on both projectors. I watched the splice go through the gates, and it's definitely what's screwing it up. It also will get jittery when the manufactured seam goes through (is that what it's called? My vocabulary is still building).

I'm getting my booth serviced this Thursday, and so I will make sure that the tension is even on both ends of the gate.

Thanks again. I am positive I'll have other (correctly worded) questions in the coming weeks. Your combined expertise is much appreciated. I've already learned heaps just perusing the forums.

Mark

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-01-2007 10:10 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You have the solid curved gate in your C Model. These are notoriously difficult to adjust and get right and is why Century eventually abandoned them. The biggest difficulty is getting the runners aligned with the curved skate. It is possible but can be time consumming...also don't take them apart unless you are well aware of how to re-align them again... and if they are badly worn they are all the more difficult to align properly. I'm not sure if Wolk even has parts for those any more. If they were my machines I would look for a pair of used model SA curved gates and traps and get rid of the old stuff, the SA gate automatically compensates as parts wear and takes splices much better than the old gate assy does.

Mark

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-01-2007 07:15 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark if it curls backwards towards the lamphouse it is a original straight gate century
The solid curve gate was in the H and retrofitted to C machines but I have never seen the pressure skate curve backwards

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 05-01-2007 09:16 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One thing to make sure your tech does: loosen the studio guides and shove them apart as far as they'll go, then lock them back down and forget about them. I'd also suspect emulsion build up on the trap rails, like Gordon said.

Mark Farr-Nash
Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2007 09:12 AM      Profile for Mark Farr-Nash   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Farr-Nash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks again, all. I'll pass these bits along to my technician, and hopefully he can make all of the necessary adjustments. The good news is, everything will be running like a top when we premiere Spider-Man 3!

Best,

Mark

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 05-02-2007 11:56 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tim said, "One thing to make sure your tech does: loosen the studio guides and shove them apart as far as they'll go, then lock them back down and forget about them."

I think we should be very careful giving advice that boils down to "modify the projector in a way the manufacturer does not intend." I believe there was an extensive thread on this topic at some point in the past, and several good justifications for making this change were offered. But it's probably a mistake to offer this kind of advice without the justifications...it can potentially cause confusion and misunderstanding.

Just my opinion...

--jhawk

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: