Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Odd problem with ORC 1000 L/H

Author Topic: Odd problem with ORC 1000 L/H
Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 05-03-2007 06:19 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tried out an ORC1000 for a customer who isn't critical about light quality, just needs something small and 120VAC. The thing checked out fine in the shop. On delivery I get a call that it's "flashing", a deep regular flicker visible on the ammeter and on screen. So I checked out another one and sent it. Then a call that the second is doing the same thing.
So I went and saw it myself. The lamp strikes and immediately starts a deep regular flicker visible in the ammeter and on screen at about 3 flickers a second.
Back at the shop the lamp is steady again.
The facility where it flickers has a whole-building UPS where the incoming 600V 3 phase power goes into a big cabinet full of batteries and electronics, then comes out to the various equipment icluding the 600V to 208V 3 phase transformer feeding the projector. The system does AC - DC- AC conversion full time, dropping to batteries on power failure without any interruption.
My only guess is that the UPS power waveform is a bit bumpy and that the ORC power supply dislikes it.
Has anyone seen any problem like this?

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-03-2007 07:20 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The ORC is a SCR device and being a switched wave form it probably has issues with the non true sinosoidal waveforms and iffy zero crossing points of the mains that it sees
Probably a set of AC caps on the input might help it along

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-03-2007 07:23 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have only seen this when the electrolytics on the driver PCB(top one) go bad. Since the regulator is phase controled it may be hitting a harmonic of the incomming AC. Although those types of large UPS's are pretty dam clean I would take a look at the incomming AC with a scope and see how clean it looks. Careful use of a differential input amplifier on the scope will immediately show up anything annoying on the line, be sure to use an isolation transformer as well!!

Mark

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-04-2007 07:24 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since it doesn't do it in the shop I would suspect it is not the unit

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 06-15-2008 10:01 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 408 days since the last post.

Bill Duelly
Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2008 10:01 PM      Profile for Bill Duelly   Email Bill Duelly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been searching the old messages to see if there is a problem similar to mine and this seems real close:

My ORC 1000 has a sight flicker to it, irregardless of power source. I 1st thought it was due to a running the lamphouse off of a generator during a summer show, but a similar lamphouse was on the same circuit and was rock steady (the ampmeter does bounce within an amp or two when this happens). I've also tried 3 different bulbs and all had some sort of flicker.

I am not clear if a resolution was found to this problem. Board replacement? Just a component or 2 to replace? Please advise and MANY Thanks!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-16-2008 10:14 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Replacing the electrolytic caps on the control board and SCR board usually clears this problem up. You must use the same value caps but higher voltage rating on them is perfectly acceptable as long as they fit in place physically.

Mark

Bill Duelly
Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2008 06:15 AM      Profile for Bill Duelly   Email Bill Duelly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Mark! I'll give it a try.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: