Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Academy's 'Sound Behind The Image': Part II (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Academy's 'Sound Behind The Image': Part II
Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-10-2007 04:33 AM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Continuing where Part I (now locked) left off.

I attended some of these screenings so I thought I'd relay some details. Any other film-tech members attend?

First, a recap:

quote:
Sound, Camera, Action!

In conjunction with its upcoming “The Sound behind the Image” program on May 17, the Academy’s Science and Technology Council presents a screening series highlighting sound achievement in a selection of influential and immensely popular films from the past four decades. While these films have often been singled out for their striking visuals, spectacular sequences or career-making performances, their success owes a considerable debt to the ability of sound to augment and clarify action.

All screenings will take place at the Academy’s Linwood Dunn Theater in Hollywood, except for the 20th anniversary screening of Lethal Weapon, which will be held at the Academy’s Samuel Goldwyn Theater in Beverly Hills.

Saturday, April 28, at 7 p.m.
Grand Prix (1966)

Sunday, April 29, at 7 p.m.
The French Connection (1971)
Jaws (1975)

Friday, May 4, at 8 p.m. at the Samuel Goldwyn Theater
20th anniversary screening of Lethal Weapon (1987)

Saturday, May 5, at 7 p.m.
Top Gun (1986)
Platoon (1986)

Sunday, May 6, at 7p.m.
Total Recall (1990)
Speed (1994)

GRAND PRIX ... Looks phenomenal (I saw the print a year ago, as well, during a private screening at which time no public screenings were planned). The sound was an interlock.

JAWS ... New print. There was some controversy over what sound mix would be played. (A stereo remix with new SFX was made a few years ago and is on one of the DVDs.) They ended up screening it in its original mono.

THE FRENCH CONNECTION ... see write-up for "Jaws."

LETHAL WEAPON ... The days leading up to the screening played out like a soap opera. The original plan was to screen a 70mm print from the original '87 release. It was pre-screened and someone thought it was not in good enough shape to present considering cast and crew members would be in attendance. (The screening doubled as a 20th anniversary celebration.) So Plan B was to screen a new 35mm print struck off the original negative and do the interlock thing with the film's six-track master. Before I had a chance to get excited about Plan B, I received word the afternoon of the screening that Plan C was being considered: running Warners' "vault" print, which was a 35mm-optical print and the condition of which, I'm told, was on par with what one might expect at a second-run house following several months in first-run. Upon arriving at the theatre, a friend who works for the Academy told me about Plan D: digital projection of the movie's HD master.

After a highly-entertaining Q&A, the film rolled: What did they run? They ran the 70mm, after all. Sure, it had a few splices (never more than a frame or two missing), some occasional scratches, and audio defects with some of the high frequencies on every other reel, but otherwise was perfectly screenable.

Of course, director Donner said after that he hated the print and that it wasn't even his cut! He mentioned something about a missing bit with Murtaugh's wife ending up in the bathtub during the birthday cake and singing scene near the beginning. Anyone remember this? Is he thinking of maybe an early test screening cut or one of the recent DVDs that had some extra stuff put back into the film?

The Q&A guests were Donner, actor Gary Busey, three of the producers, the DP, the production designer, and two of the re-recording mixers. The panel was moderated by the film's screenwriter, Shane Black (who should be a stand-up comedian). No Mel or Danny.

TOP GUN ... Yay, they did it right!!! This is my all-time favorite sound mix, so the pressure was on for the Academy to do this one right. I'm pleased to say I was not disappointed. The deal: new 35mm print (scope, by the way, for anyone still not convinced this movie was released that way originally). And the best part: the sound was an interlock of the original six-track. One of the film's sound editors (Cecelia Hall) was present and spoke briefly about the experience working on the film.

PLATOON ... New 35mm print with a new SR audio track. It sounded pretty good for an '80s Lt-Rt mix, but I still cannot believe this won the '86 Best Sound Oscar, beating out mixes from films like "Top Gun," "Star Trek IV" and "Aliens."

SPEED ... I didn't attend.

TOTAL RECALL ... Didn't attend. Have been told conflicting accounts of what was screened.

I applaud the AMPAS staff and everyone involved with the series for making an effort to screen the films with a sound mix that matched or closely matched what was heard in their original release. On the contrary, the recent screening of "Star Wars" (shown during the "Great To Be Nominated" series and doubling as a 30th anniversary) was a digitally-projected Special Edition ('04 version, not '97). I thought it looked and sounded great...but, of course, did not look or sound like the film we grew up knowing and loving, nor did it look or sound like the film that was nominated for all of those Oscars that made it eligible for the "Great To Be Nominated" series. It was worth it for the 15+ member Q&A and to observe Mark Hamill looking bored out of his mind wishing he never agreed to participate!

The highly anticipated Ben Burtt/Kevin O'Connell thing is next week, and I'll post again with a report.

[ 05-10-2007, 05:39 PM: Message edited by: Michael Coate ]

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-10-2007 05:25 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
What I don't understand is why the studios don't just make new SRD prints when they have the 6 track masters ready to go for an interlocked showing. These are MAJOR movies! Once the SRD negative was made, every print from that point forth would then have the original mix.

Don't forget boys...keep it friendly. [Big Grin]

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 05-10-2007 10:28 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Michael Coate
On the contrary, the recent screening of "Star Wars" (shown during the "Great To Be Nominated" series and doubling as a 30th anniversary) was a digitally-projected Special Edition ('04 version, not '97).
I have been told, and have no way of confirming, that Lucas has destroyed all film prints of his Star Wars films. Can anyone else confirm this?

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 05-10-2007 10:43 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Martin McCaffery
that Lucas has destroyed all film prints of his Star Wars films.
That is the Urban Legend that they want you to know.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 05-10-2007 10:54 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt very much that Lucas would destroy film prints of anything he owns. He may tell the world how anything digital he does is great, but when he's by himself and feels like watching one of the early Star Wars, I bet he pulls out a 70mm print.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-10-2007 01:31 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bet you are wrong on that one...I don't think Lucasfilm has 70mm projectors anymore...I know their AA2s are gone (Mark has/had them).

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 05-10-2007 03:16 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When my wife, Louise, heard that Star Wars was being "improved" for dvd reissue; whe purchased all 3 of the earlier ones. That way Lucas can do whatever he wants, but I will never have to see the "improved" one. Louis

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-10-2007 05:07 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I read that LucasFilm used a British IB tech print of SW ANH to do color timing issues when they were restoring that film since the negative had pretty much faded by that point.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 05-10-2007 08:54 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is no 70mm projector or Mag sound anywhere in LucasLand, not Skywalker, ILM, or Big Rock Ranch.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-10-2007 09:58 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
I know their AA2s are gone (Mark has/had them).

Indeed... they are serving 12 hour days at a theater in Cheyenne, WY. along with 10 other DP-70.

In spite of them having access to an I.B. to serve as refrence the re-release of the first S.W. looked like crapola.

Mark

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 05-10-2007 10:07 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Sam D. Chavez
There is no 70mm projector or Mag sound anywhere in LucasLand, not Skywalker, ILM, or Big Rock Ranch.

That's sad. [thumbsdown]

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2007 11:14 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Michael Coate
The highly anticipated Ben Burtt/Kevin O'Connell thing is next week, and I'll post again with a report.
I have been told, and have no way of confirming, that Lucas has destroyed all film prints of his Star Wars films. Can anyone else confirm this?
There's definitely some original 1977 prints of "Star Wars" in existence because, believe it or not, two of them were (partially) screened during "An Evening Celebrating the Art of Sound in Action Adventure Films" on May 17 during the "Sound Behind The Image" program at AMPAS' Goldwyn Theater.

This event, hosted by Sound Designer Extraordinaire Ben Burtt and re-recording mixer and 19-time(!) Oscar nominee Kevin O'Connell, was a joy to attend and concluded the Academy's series of films from successive decades with exceptional soundtracks. Maybe someday I'll do up a full-blown article with quotes and photos, but for now here's a quick and dirty summary.

Burtt gave a presentation using a combination of lecture, power-point, still images, and film clips (35mm, 70mm, video). He explained as a kid how he noticed the role that sound played in enhancing his involvement and enjoyment of the films and TV programs he saw, which led to his interest in pursuing a career in film sound. He also acknowledged the pioneering work of Murray Spivack.

Among the clips shown and their reason for being shown:

DON JUAN (1926) -- recognized as the first film to feature music and sound effects.

ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT (1930) -- noteworthy for its use of atmospheric sounds at a time when most sound mixes concentrated only on on-screen sounds.

FRANKENSTEIN (1931)

KING KONG (1933)

TARZAN AND HIS MATE (1934) -- example of a work with no musical scoring but a mixture of actual and simulated animal recordings, existing library effects, and foley to bring to life a sequence involving the character of Cheta. Burtt emphasized that the inarticulate character of Cheta combined with the use of sound effects to emotionally engage the audience was the foundation for the character of R2-D2.

FLASH GORDON (serials) -- sound effects usage in science-fiction.

ROAD RUNNER/WILE E COYOTE (animated short) -- use of sound effects, rather than music, to enhance visual gags.

THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL (1951) -- pioneering and effective use of the theremin.

SHANE (1953) -- subtlety and use of low-volume sound preceding a significant loud moment (quietness before a gunshot, etc.)

WAR OF THE WORLDS (1953)

LAWRENCE OF ARABIA (1962) -- example of the type of overall sound design and musiscal score Lucas and Co. were striving for with "Star Wars"

STAR WARS (1977) --

--stills, 16mm and video footage of Ben creating many of the sound effects

--oxygen tank and breathing apparatus and a live demonstration of the origin of Darth Vader's breathing sound

--first couple of scenes shown with the original on-set dialogue recording.

--Reel 1 from original release shown in 35mm-Dolby A (it was great to see the original Fox logo, the "A Lucasfilm Limited Production" credit with its green lettering and the scroll sans "Episode IV: A New Hope").

--One sequence from an original 70mm reel submitted to the Academy in 1978 for consideration in the Best Sound category.

The evening concluded with a Q&A moderated by Kevin O'Connell, and the panel included Burtt plus Richard L. Anderson, Gregg Landaker, Don MacDougall, Steve Maslow, Don Rogers, Gary Rydstrom, and Gary Summers.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 05-21-2007 12:02 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting. Who do the prints belongs to? The Academy? Private Collector?

Does Lucas own the Negs or Fox?

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-21-2007 12:07 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was the 35mm original release reel from a British IB tech print or (probably) fading American print?

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2007 04:25 AM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Heenan
Was the 35mm original release reel from a British IB tech print or (probably) fading American print?

I'm not sure. The image was NOT faded, though.

Who do the prints belongs to? The Academy? Private Collector?
I understand the 35mm came from Lucasfilm. I would assume the 70mm came from the Academy since, customarily, "bake-off" reels submitted for award consideration are kept by AMPAS and put into their archive. But considering it is "Star Wars," they may have given it back to Lucasfilm. I believe the 70mm reel was the same one shown in 2003 during the American Cinematheque's tribute to Skywalker Sound and Industrial Light & Magic (although at the '03 tribute they showed the entire reel).

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: