Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Disney

Author Topic: Disney
Justin Gorka
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-27-2007 06:40 PM      Profile for Justin Gorka   Email Justin Gorka   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why hard lock a digital trailer to Pirates 3 when you know we will be playing the trailer with the rest of 'em anyway. Surly you realise in the UK we have contractual agreements with other sponsors to play content in a certain order!

|  IP: Logged

John Caswell
Film Handler

- posted 05-27-2007 06:46 PM      Profile for John Caswell   Email John Caswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Guess you're talking about 'Ratatouille'. Yeah, we're supposed to show a VW sponsorship logo directly before the film, but doesn't quite work that way thanks to Disney. Oh well...

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-27-2007 06:53 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So the trailer had to be played after the Orange 'Gold Spot'? Very stupid from Buena Vista. However I wouldn't worry, saw a film at Odeon tonight where their own ad (for special showings) was after the Orange one which is presumably breach of contract.

Justin Gorka
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-27-2007 07:04 PM      Profile for Justin Gorka   Email Justin Gorka   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you have the QuViss the file you need to delete is 07_S_EN_XX.EML, don't delete N_XX_UK_51_EML just below it or you will have to reload the 4 1/2 hors of script again! (How many real prints could I make up in that time!)
before playing with the content I suggest you make a back-up of the POC3_UK file fist.....just in case [Smile]

Anslem Rayburn
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-27-2007 07:05 PM      Profile for Anslem Rayburn   Email Anslem Rayburn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it different in the UK, as we received notice that there are to be no ads played before Pirates. I thought that was part of the agreement with Disney for all of their pictures.

Justin Gorka
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-27-2007 07:10 PM      Profile for Justin Gorka   Email Justin Gorka   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Must be, we play all our usual crap before the feature and Orange has the last slot before the show.

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-27-2007 07:13 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a 25-30 min programme like there was for POTC2? We even got that for the bigger Bollywoods last summer.

Justin Gorka
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-27-2007 07:32 PM      Profile for Justin Gorka   Email Justin Gorka   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
22 mins in our biggest screen, Carlton seem to spread the adds out according to seat numbers. We are playing in 6 screens with one interlock and the darling Digi!

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-27-2007 08:44 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Justin - change your thread title to something more descriptive of what's in the thread, or the mods will be all over you like a cheap suit.

Suggestion: Disney's hard-locked digital trailer on Pirates 3

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 05-28-2007 12:23 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Anslem Rayburn
Is it different in the UK, as we received notice that there are to be no ads played before Pirates. I thought that was part of the agreement with Disney for all of their pictures.
AFAIK, the agreement is that all animated Buena Vista movies have no ads with an exception in the case of special requests for specific movies.

And if my memory about this is right, then your notice of no ads would be one of those special requests.

[edit]Of course, that's a big if. My memory isn't always the best.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 05-28-2007 02:09 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BVP = no adds regardless of whether or not it's an animated feature. My cans of pirates all had the usual "we'll steal your dog, shoot you and eat your cat if you even think about running ads before this feature" note.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-28-2007 03:35 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The digital drives shipped by Technicolor in the US do not have the Ratatouillie trailer combined with the feature-they are seperate files.

quote:
How many real prints could I make up in that time!
Yeah, but you don't need to stand next to the server for every minute of the ingestion. Actual work for you is all of 5 minutes [Smile] .

Dan Harris
Film Handler

- posted 05-28-2007 05:30 AM      Profile for Dan Harris   Email Dan Harris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, it's only hardlocked on Digital 'prints'. All the 35mm prints have a widescreen Ratatouille trailer loose in the can.

quote: Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
However I wouldn't worry, saw a film at Odeon tonight where their own ad (for special showings) was after the Orange one which is presumably breach of contract.
Orange and Odeon have agreed that a 30-second Odeon ident can be played after the Gold Spot, however it should NOT be the Sub-Brands (special shows) one - too long - and nothing else should be after it.

quote: Anslem Rayburn
It's different over here, we play 20-30 minutes of rolling stock adverts and trailers before features. Distributors are fully aware of this, and sometimes even capitalise by having specific adverts, something to do with the film (toys, videogames etc) in the pre-show reel. And they obviously make sure their own forthcoming films are in the trailers where possible.

Incidentally, our two test site 'Digiplexes' are getting Carlton adverts and trailer stock digitally now, so depending on how it goes, it could go wide soon.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 05-28-2007 09:25 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Every time we get a Walt Disney Pictures non-animated film, and there ends up being digital ads in front of it, and I call to remind the nice folks at CineMedia about the rule for Disney films, they always tell me, "Yeah, Disney has made an exception for this movie."

So, I've stopped calling.

Josh Rosen
Film Handler

- posted 05-28-2007 04:54 PM      Profile for Josh Rosen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know that we are told to ignore those notices in the cans that say "No rolling stock..." and we go by what the head office sends us on our trailer charts. Sometimes we can play them and sometimes not. In the case of Pirates 3 we can. I have noticed that usually the movies that BVD releases the are more aimed at kids (especially all the animated ones) we don't play the rolling stock, but the more teenage/adult aimed ones do have rolling stock.
I believe this is the same for all Cineplex Entertainment theaters across Canada.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: