Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » 16mm projector needed for Delaware Film Premiere (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: 16mm projector needed for Delaware Film Premiere
Jeffrey Bartone
Film Handler

- posted 05-28-2007 12:31 AM      Profile for Jeffrey Bartone   Email Jeffrey Bartone   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, like it says: 16mm projector needed for Delaware Film Premiere - near Wilmington in early Aug. (4th?). It's important to us to find a clean projector that can handle the 80ft, throw for our FILM as film.

Thanks,

Jeffrey / Adam

|  IP: Logged

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-28-2007 04:34 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try asking on This Site.

Michael Moore
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-29-2007 10:05 AM      Profile for Michael Moore   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What film premier is this?

I'm in Dover Delaware, would not mind helping you out or at least seeing the premier.

Mike

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 05-29-2007 10:44 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The throw is not significant -- it's the screen size that will be the issue -- then the correct focal lenght lens to fill it and most importantly, an adaquate projector lamphouse neccessary to get an image bright enough for it to look decent. It's laudable that you want your film to be presented as film, but you also want it to look as good as film can look. It won't matter if it is Film, if it is not adaquately lit or magnified beyond its capabilities.

It will be easier to get your hands on a single, good projector that will meet your needs for the job rather than finding a pair for dual, change-over operation. Consider the idea of getting a projector model that incorporates long-play reels, or better yet, look to get your hands on a stand-alone, large reel transport, like the Eiki 16mm transport system which will sit behind any model 16mm projector with limited reel capacity and turn it into a long-play projector, i.e., one that will be able to play your full length feature. This way your search for a projector can be allot broader because you can use any 16mm projector model as long as it has a bright enough light source; you won't be limited to getting your hands on one of the relatively few projector models that have long play reel capacities.

Good luck with it.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-29-2007 01:31 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shouldn't this go in the for-sale/wanted forum?

Post the screen size and throw distance and someone should be able to tell you what lenses you will need as well as what size lamp should be used to adequately light the screen.

Jeffrey Bartone
Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2007 08:08 PM      Profile for Jeffrey Bartone   Email Jeffrey Bartone   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are looking into the technical specifics of the auditorium. Coordinating with folks on the East Coast, which slows things down.

The film is a 30 minute independent piece. It will be submitted to festivals later in the summer, but for now we want to make a screening available for those involved with the shoot and the community in which it was shot.

We will have a Betacam transfer, but as stated prior, would much prefer to show the 16mm. Right now we are looking specifically for someone who can provide a suitable projector.

Thanks for your time.
Throw and Screen size to be posted soon.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 05-30-2007 08:13 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Frank Angel
the screen size that will be the issue -- then the correct focal lenght lens to fill it
Most portable 16mm projectors come with 2-inch lenses.

Scott Norwood
Film God

- posted 05-30-2007 09:22 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Long-shot possibility: I have a 350w portable Eiki xenon machine (only one, but should be OK for your 30-minute film) with 1.5" and 2" lenses (and scope lens). It's only good for (at most) a 10' wide screen. I'd rent it to you cheaply, but you'd have to pick it up on the Boston area (shipping would cost more than the rental and wouldn't be worth it; it weighs a ton). For sound, I have had good luck running the speaker output into a direct box and then running that into a mic input in the house sound system.

Most likely, you'd have better luck looking in NYC or DC for something that would be easier for you to pick up and return.

Peter Mork
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2007 06:58 PM      Profile for Peter Mork   Email Peter Mork   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, is that the Eiki you had in Providence couple years ago? I remember it as having terrible sound - muddy and wow-y. Picture was good, but could barely make out the dialogue, and music was even worse.

Sorry, don't mean to trash your axe but 'twas so.

Scott Norwood
Film God

- posted 05-31-2007 11:46 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Same machine, but I think that the issue was with that print. Good prints sound fine on it. Well, as "fine" as 16mm optical tracks can be made to sound, anyway.

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2007 12:32 AM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats the advantage of betacam, much better audio than 16mm, Its mono with limited high frequencies.

A DVD could provide 5.1 sound combined with a progressive scan player a good look. A hard drive HD file straight from a laptop could also be an option. HD Video projectors today can provide a nice image especially if originated on film.

Has the footage been edited on negitive film? or is it going to be digitally converted to film? Is the soundtrack stereo?

Some of the pros and cons of 16mm or Digital options

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-01-2007 06:26 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
16mm can actually sound pretty outstanding. When one sees or hears a many generation dupe, 16mm gets a bad name. An equivalent of an EK print (off OCN), 16mm normally looks better than a 35mm release print and sounds rather clean and decent.

With DTS available, 16mm can also have 5.1 (or even 10 channel) audio too. I don't think Beta (digi or otherwise) and definately not DVD has anywhere near the look of 16mm and I've seen the best of each.

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2007 05:53 PM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Apart from Woody Allen, um who makes a mono mix nowdays? With screenings like this, it tends to be either the camera crew or the sound guys who are pleased, not both! I have no idea how this film was produced and what would be best for its presentation.

I have to admit that the Australian pal 576 line system, when played back through a progressive scan deck to a high quality digital projector, looks ok, where as a 16mm print, through a good projector with a prime lens would look better. As for NTSC I assume it would look pretty poor. So perhaps a HD master straight from the hard drive is the only possible other option?

As for DTS, Yes you can, if you have an unlimited budget! but then again if you had that sort of money, wouldnt it be cheaper to blow it up to 35mm? These guys dont seem to have that sort of money, if they are looking to borrow a 16mm projector here!

Steve I have heard some great sounding modern 16mm prints too, unfortunatly over the past few years here in Australia, from what I have heard it appears to me that the labs, now doing so little 16mm have lost the ability to consistantly make a fine 16mm mono soundtrack!

Obviously if the 16mm projector is not of the highest quality, both the camera and sound guys will be unhappy. From my own experience. these aspects should be cheaked at the earliest possible time, as leaving these tests to the last minute usually leads to heartbreak.

Best of luck with the screening.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-02-2007 10:02 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm curious...why would DTS invoke an unlimited budget? It it that expensive? I know the players are not...the medium is not...the DTS "Track" is recorded as a regular audio track on the film and, depending on the projector, may or may not need DTS's buffer box to clean the signal to the player. The disc isn't that expensive so what is left is the mastering and the creation of the soundnegative with the DTS track versus the audio track.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 06-03-2007 04:50 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And payments to DTS for the rights to use the system? I don't know how they charge, but it's possible that the fees are calculated in such a way as to be disproportionately high for a single print, or a small number, of a single film.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: