Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » How do I convert a Strong MUT to work with Xetron Platters

Author Topic: How do I convert a Strong MUT to work with Xetron Platters
Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-29-2007 05:53 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm hoping someone on here can provide me with information on how to convert a Strong MUT (AC output) to work with Xetron platter motors (DC). I have already purchased the plug end to connect to the Xetron motor, so I basically just need to know how to convert the AC to DC on the output side of the Strong MUT.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-29-2007 06:06 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just use a bridge rectifier. 600 volt 20 amp. Mount it on the chassis with an 8/32 screw, lockwasher and nut. There are two terminals that get the AC and one plus and one minus output for DC. You may also want to add a 3 amp panel mount circuit breaker in there as well to protect things. Don't forget that DC can kill alot easier than AC [Mad] [Eek!] [Embarrassed] [evil]

Mark

Michael Moore
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-29-2007 09:18 PM      Profile for Michael Moore   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark will that rectifier get hot? should it be mounted to a heat sink?

Mike

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-29-2007 09:43 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A 20 amp bridge might get warm... thats why I said to mount it on the chassis. The chassis will act as a huge heat sink. Use a little heat sink grease on it if you want to.

Mark

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-29-2007 09:48 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the quick reply Mark. Just to be sure is this what you were referring to:

http://www.vishay.com/docs/88612/gbpc12.pdf

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-30-2007 07:43 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the 35 amp unit would make it even more bullet proof!

Mark

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-04-2007 07:24 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Mark,

Just finished the conversion and it works great. Thanks for all the help.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: