Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Input needed about those Long Play Towers (Kintone) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Input needed about those Long Play Towers (Kintone)
Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 05-30-2007 06:45 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are outfitting a booth that is so small it is really a closet. We used to have two Eastman 25Bs in there but they are long gone and there was no film at all. Now they want to refurbish and want both film (35mm) and video, so I am stuck with only one 35mm projector -- so it's gotta be compact -- I am leaning toward the Kinotone FP10. Thing is, I am not to crazy about the spindly legs as opposed to the more robust sturdiness of the FP20A. I assume these are identical mechanisms just attached to different supports. And since I will be using the Long Play Tower (SPT5000), there really is no need for the extra bulk of the feed and supply section of the console model, other than the additional support it gives. If they are identical machines (except for the pretty substantial cost savings on the FP10), do you think I should just ignore my concerns about the stability issue of the FP10 -- people knocking into it and such? Maybe just sit the feet in cement anchors or something.

And secondly, being that it is an integrated soundhead, the natural thing would be to just get their basement digital reader, but I was wondering if I should forego that and still get the Cat 702 to sit on top -- would the dolby give me any advantage?

Thanks in advance.

Oh, yah, and did someone say Dolby discontinued the DA20? And replaced it with what?

|  IP: Logged

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 05-30-2007 08:56 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing. It's either a CP-650 or a secondhand DA-20 now.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-30-2007 01:35 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On first glance...have you considered the FP25D? It is an FP30D mechanism with the SPT5000K underneith of it...as such...quite sturdy and most compact.

As to the readers...Kinoton's reader is superior to Dolby's in most all respects (how well it tracks...it is the same CCD board) so no...it would be almost stupid to not use the Kinoton for that.

For Dolby Digital with new equipment, your choice is the CP650 with the appropriate (or no) suffix.

I have no experience with the FP10's support legs so I have no comment there and all of my column projectors have been FP30 varients for recent stuff so I have no comment on the FP20A either. I do know the FP20A doesn't have the hinged door like the old FP20 nor the current FP30s so one has to remove the panel.

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2007 02:47 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank,

As far as I know all projector/soundheads or combos will fit any of the older bases such as Simplex, Century, Ballantyne, Motiograph or any other. Those are very stable and no one is going to knock them over. There are plenty sitting around and they should be cheap.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-30-2007 07:49 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
actually older soundheads used multiple different bolt patterns for mounting so pedestals need a different bull nose depending on the soundhead
a used Eprad sword would work

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 05-30-2007 08:00 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd also put a vote in for a Sword, if you can find a decent unit (and reels that aren't bent to hell). But, beware... Jumbo Swords (which held double-feature reels) had a higher optical centerline, so most existing portholes are too low for them. Standard Swords were, well... standard height.

FWIW, Century, Simplex, and Ballantyne all used the same pedestal neck bolt pattern. Motiograph was it's own thing, and RCA had their own.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 05-30-2007 08:14 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Remember very old RCA's (1040-1050) were made by Simplex and had Century/Simplex bolt holes. This might help in a budget situation. Louis

Steve Guttag

- posted 05-30-2007 09:33 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where did the Century/Simplex or pedestal conversation come in? The man was trying to decide between an FP10A or a FP20A with an SPT5000K. I brought up the FP25D because it combined all of the benefits Frank was looking for in one package.

To compare an EPRAD SWORD to a Kinoton SPT5000K is to compare a fine precision machine to a tinker toy. As to the projector, to not use a Kinoton would be to also not want as good an image as a Kinoton can put out or have the Kinoton RSSD soundhead which again is superior to alternatives.

[ 05-31-2007, 06:33 AM: Message edited by: Steve Guttag ]

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-30-2007 09:46 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is a SWORD the same thing as a double-MUT? Or are they different? Other than the slow rewind time, the double-MUT seems to be gentle on film and takes up little space.

As far as I know, the only Kinoton that mounts to a standard base is the PK-60, which uses the Century bolt pattern.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 05-31-2007 05:01 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Which wouldn't make sense either because the Kinoton lamphouse puts out more light and more evenly than any other. You can typically run them one lamp size smaller than most other lamphouses. No hotspotting and dark corners. So there is no point in mounting a PK-60D to another console or lamphouse.

Frank, like Steve said, what you want is the FP25D. Or buy cheap and pay twice.

Or, if you have room problems, how about a TK35 [Big Grin]

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 05-31-2007 06:35 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Funny, this thing all came about because some VP was hobknobing with a potential donor and I surmise in the course of cocktails and brie, it was mentioned that a donation was in the offing for some worthy project....this led to that and it wound up, how bout money be donated for running movies -- what a concept --that's always a good, hi-profile hook to hang a donation on. The VP then rushes to us and says, put together a package to run film in the Gershwin Theatre (our 475 seat house). Me thinks the VP is so removed from us that he doesn't know we have been running film in the Whitman Theatre for 30 years -- it's our big, 2500 seat, recently refurbished to the tune of 5 million dollars house. I think he proposed the smaller theatre off the top of his head because that was the name that popped into it.

Well, anyway, now just got a price for the FP20A. Hahhahaa...wait....let me gather myself. You see, all I have ever done was work with USED equipment. The FP20A tag was an eye-opener; I haven't seen new prices for a long time.

OK, so now I'll use my eraser and put down a Christie P35. But while I put together this package, I am working with my boss to gently inform the administration that, hello, we DO run film and perhaps it would be a tad wiser to just upgrade the the 2500 seat house which just got a new screen, not start from scratch with the run down, small theater. Perhaps they will see the wisdom of what I speak....and oh yes, be apraised that WE ALREADY DO FILM at the performing arts center.

So immediately, if they see the error of their ways and give me lots of money for the Whitman booth, I want to get top of the line ISCO lenses for my XLs, a supply of carbons to last till I either retire or die, whichever comes first (let the next guy put in xenon), a Panastereo processor with a DA20 before every last one of them is sold off the shelves of every supply house in the country (what an incredible nasty blow for every manufacturer who makes cinema processors not to have a digital adaptor to mate to it -- anyone buying a new system will have no choice but to buy a CP650, right?).

Anyway, that's my plight. Working with higher up officials who are, how shall we say....oops, better not; we are not alone.

Coffee's run out....see you guys later.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 05-31-2007 07:00 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank, why not by secondhand equipment, of whichever make you choose? Good reconditioned equipment will probably las as long as you will, and will be cheaper.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 05-31-2007 04:21 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Michael Schaffer
Frank, like Steve said, what you want is the FP25D. Or buy cheap and pay twice.
quote: Frank Angel
OK, so now I'll use my eraser and put down a
Frank, do you actually read the replies posted here for you or are you so busy typing in your long and detailed posts that there is no time left for that?

Steve Guttag

- posted 05-31-2007 05:14 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well if the FP20A price scared him...the FP25D will put him in the coffin...it is around $2K more for the mechanism. Remember, there is that 35% Dollar to Euro conversion that is making everything coming from Europe significantly more expensive. There isn't enough profit in typical cinema equipment to absorb such a hit.

That said, the FP25D/E is still the proper projector based on the space described.

Steve

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 05-31-2007 05:40 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the stuff also actually costs money in Europe, too, and the profit margins aren't any bigger either. But it just makes more sense to spend a little more money and then enjoy many, many years of high quality performane with potentially very few and little problems.
They could probably also put together an FP25A, but apparently, we aren't talking about $2k more or less, it looks like all of that is totally out of reach for that budget.
But yes, I can see how the current (or rather ongoing) low value of the $ really makes that too expensive at this time.
Funny though how many people here want to buy those German cars - which aren't exactly cheap either - because they think it makes *them* look good, but when it comes to springing for a little more to make an image on the screen look really great, every single buck is too much...and then some are very ready to sink megatons of dough into the digital fantasy...but that is a completely different subject.
Maybe a TK35 is really what Frank needs. It looked good enough for the comrades, so why not?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: